• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    I am curious what people usually think about "citizen arrest"? In Maryland, a citizen can perform citizen arrest if the person is clearly conducting a felony. However, it is recommneded to report to local law enforcement agency. I noticed someone who is performing a felony, I reported to MCPD, and FBI, but clearly they are not interested in this kind of crime.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Things might get awkward if you arrest somebody and it turns out nobody's interested.

Might make some lawyer's payday if they turned around and sued you for illegally detaining them

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Unless the felony is being committed against me or my family I'm calling 911. I don't need to insert
    myself into any situation like that.

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park
    Do it wrong and you can face charges of false arrest or false detention, and put yourself in jeopardy in terms of liability.

But what do I know, I am not a lawyer, but I have slept in a Holiday Inn before.

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    Do it wrong and you can face charges of false arrest or false detention, and put yourself in jeopardy in terms of liability.

But what do I know, I am not a lawyer, but I have slept in a Holiday Inn before.
    it's a clear felony, but no law enforcement is interested in it

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    it's a clear felony, but no law enforcement is interested in it
    May I ask what felony it is? That will greatly change whether you as a private citizen can use force to legally detain someone.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I am curious what people usually think about "citizen arrest"? In Maryland, a citizen can perform citizen arrest if the person is clearly conducting a felony. However, it is recommneded to report to local law enforcement agency. I noticed someone who is performing a felony, I reported to MCPD, and FBI, but clearly they are not interested in this kind of crime.
    So what's the story?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

^This

You need to get it right 1000%.

Otherwise you can lose your freedom, not to mention everything you have worked for your entire life.

aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    May I ask what felony it is? That will greatly change whether you as a private citizen can use force to legally detain someone.
    Title Jumping:

someone in Maryland attempting to sell a car without registering the car under their name first.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    1698782569837.gif

Sorry, no interest in a citizens arrest unless it was way over the top.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    A felony for this?

What kind of problems can occur?

Sounds like one of those insurance company sponsored laws to avoid some sort of liability.

OP, why are you so concerned about this?

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Title Jumping:

someone in Maryland attempting to sell a car without registering the car under their name first.
    How bored are you?
    Back when my buds and I were into cars and motorcycles non stop I’d take a guess that it happened from time to time. How is this persons title jumping effecting You?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Title Jumping:

For argument's sake, did they commit the crime or did they attempt to commit it? Either way there's no way on Earth I'd attempt a citizen's arrest for it. The police are only showing up to that for the force you used to effect the arrest.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Your questions are a little alarming. Citizens arrest for title jumping, can you shoot someone for breaking in your home and stealing yoir property....

Did you just get a HGP and now think you're Chuck Norris?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom