• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I doubt any Prosecutor will file anything on a non criminal citizen with no W&C permit who uses a handgun successfully in a shoot defending a life.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    My money's on the "how a trigger job will be perceived in a courtroom" circle jerk.

Years ago, there was a thread about people going to prison because they reloaded their own ammunition and killing Mr. 2ammurderingthuglife with it.

If folks go to prison, it will be over taking a life. Not over the ammunition used to take it.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

mumfrey

Nov 16, 2017
    Northern Balt Co
    I doubt any Prosecutor will file anything on a non criminal citizen with no W&C permit who uses a handgun successfully in a shoot defending a life.

I'm not so sure about that. IMO, not only would you get charged, it would also open up the door to being sued by the family. As I mentioned before, you would be bankrupted at the very least.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I'm not so sure about that. IMO, not only would you get charged, it would also open up the door to being sued by the family. As I mentioned before, you would be bankrupted at the very least.

Maryland passed a law two years ago that prevents people from being sued by victims families IIRC

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Charged with what? Sued why?
    If the shoot was good, you think they'll go after carrying without a permit?

What if you defending a life using a shovel?
    Would that be a bad use of deadly force? So it's not a good threat stop and you get charged with manslaughter?

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Maryland passed a law two years ago that prevents people from being sued by victims families IIRC

I think this is it......

https://lawofselfdefense.com/statut...for-defense-of-dwelling-or-place-of-business/

2014 Maryland Code
    COURTS AND JUDICIAL PROCEEDINGS
    TITLE 5 – LIMITATIONS, PROHIBITED ACTIONS, AND IMMUNITIES

Subtitle 8 – Immunities and Prohibited Actions – Miscellaneous
    § 5-808 – Civil immunity for defense of dwelling or place of business.

(a) Person. — In this section, “person” does not include a governmental entity.

(b) Civil immunity. — A person is not liable for damages for a personal injury or death of an individual who enters the person’s dwelling or place of business if:

(1) The person reasonably believes that force or deadly force is necessary to repel an attack by the individual; and

(2) The amount and nature of the force used by the person is reasonable under the circumstances.

(c) Exception. — Subsection (b) of this section does not apply to a person who is convicted of a crime of violence under § 14-101 of the Criminal Law Article, assault in the second degree, or reckless endangerment arising out of the circumstances described in subsection (b) of this section.

(d) Costs and attorney’s fees. — The court may award costs and reasonable attorney’s fees to a defendant who prevails in a defense under this section.

(e) Other provisions not limited or abrogated. — This section does not limit or abrogate any immunity from civil liability or defense available to a person under any other provision of the Code or at common law.

mumfrey

Nov 16, 2017
    Northern Balt Co
    Charged with what? Sued why?
    If the shoot was good, you think they'll go after carrying without a permit?

What if you defending a life using a shovel?
    Would that be a bad use of deadly force? So it's not a good threat stop and you get charged with manslaughter?

Charged with illegally carrying a firearm. I, for one, do not wish to bank on the fact that they wouldn't charge you with such. The charge may get dropped, but again, you'll be bankrupted.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I am aware of that but not the specifics. I was thinking that if you are charged with illegal carry that it may negate this and leave open the possibility of a lawsuit.
    A good "shoot" defending someone does not get negated by the method used to stop that threat. If you take a 2x4 to someone stabbing a third party, or yourself with a knife, isn't that still a good defense even if you haven't been trained and licensed to carry a 2x4?

mumfrey

Nov 16, 2017
    Northern Balt Co
    A good "shoot" defending someone does not get negated by the method used to stop that threat. If you take a 2x4 to someone stabbing a third party, or yourself with a knife, isn't that still a good defense even if you haven't been trained and licensed to carry a 2x4?

My thought is the fact that it is illegal to carry without a permit. Good shoot or not, you are still in violation, hence my believing you would be charged. Using a 2x4 is a bit different, IMO, as it isn't illegal to carry a 2x4 without a permit.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    My thought is the fact that it is illegal to carry without a permit. Good shoot or not, you are still in violation, hence my believing you would be charged. Using a 2x4 is a bit different, IMO, as it isn't illegal to carry a 2x4 without a permit.
    How about a prohibited person uses the pistol from an injured Samaritan or cop to defend that person from deadly threat? LOL what now? Does he go to the pokey for possession?

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    oh I thought you were referring to a self defense shooting in your home.

Outside-all bets are off IMO.

I think both of our minds were on the shooting by the crab shack owner in post # 124 by DC-W. That was at his place of business........ie; castle doctrine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom