• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whiskey3

MDS Supporter
    Jul 27, 2022
    Solomons, MD
    OK, I tried out the doritos, hat, underwear and rag cover ideas ( well, only the hat and rag). No like. The idea was Easy, Quick access while driving long distances against the vanishingly small odds I would ever need it. (Boy Scout motto). The covers got in the way and are annoying. This just driving to the hardware store.

So, for now, I am clipping an IWB inside the map pocket on the door. Can’t see even if you lean in with my knee resting against door. Not left handed so not ideal, but I guess I can practice that.

Also now looking for a cross draw holster I could clip and leave on the seat belt.

I am glad I read this post. It never occurred to me that SB-1 forced this.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes, I thought you'd have to be careful if you got pulled over and the cop started drooling over your Doritos. That would be the time to inform him that you're carrying before he gets the snack-sniffing dog to give him an excuse to confiscate the Doritos.
    Just don't use a fake beer bottle...

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    From the sounds of it, there is no clear answer to @swinokur ’s original query.

I’m going to continue my practice of tucking my cover garment behind the grip whenever I’m seated in my car. If I get pulled over, a quick flip of my garment and I’m fully concealed.

“I’m just happy to see you, officer!”

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    From the sounds of it, there is no clear answer to @swinokur ’s original query.

I’m going to continue my practice of tucking my cover garment behind the grip whenever I’m seated in my car. If I get pulled over, a quick flip of my garment and I’m fully concealed.

“I’m just happy to see you, officer!”
    Considering he answered my multiple choice query with "yes", there's still no clear answer to an unclear question(I suppose it should have been obvious to me).

Anyway, I am with you on your method. Same thing I do most of the time. I don't always do the tuck.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Considering he answered my multiple choice query with "yes", there's still no clear answer to an unclear question(I suppose it should have been obvious to me).

Anyway, I am with you on your method. Same thing I do most of the time. I don't always do the tuck.
    You asked if my question pertained to post SB1. I answered yes. How is that a multiple choice question?

You could OC pre SB1. Why would I even ask the question?

SMH

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You asked if my question pertained to post SB1. I answered yes. How is that a multiple choice question?

You could OC pre SB1. Why would I even ask the question?

SMH
    Because there were two theories in my post.

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 13-05-27 Can you OC in your car.png

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yes but OC in a vehicle without a permit is illegal. It’s pretty common knowledge here I was one of the first to get a permit post Bruen

One is legal. The other is clearly not

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Open carry advertises you are carrying and makes you the first target if someone is going to be shooting in traffic. It can also lead to someone taking your gun from you while you are waiting to turn left.
    Not this argument again...
    Please show us anywhere where a permit holder, open carrying, has been the first person shot in any incident?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes but OC in a vehicle without a permit is illegal. It’s pretty common knowledge here I was one of the first to get a permit post Bruen

One is legal. The other is clearly not
    I was not sure what you were basing the question on. My bad...

Did I not answer that in post #9 then?

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Not this argument again...
    Please show us anywhere where a permit holder, open carrying, has been the first person shot in any incident?
    I was making trouble... because the over and over argument that has been had... ;)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Except my question was not based on the tactical superiority of CC. Only if MD now prohibited OC in your vehicle based on SB1

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Well the bad guys would be under the same laws as you are so they couldn't open carry and would have to conceal their guns as well. Therefore you would both be at an equal disadvantage. See the answer is just pass another law. :sarcasm:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Last edited:

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    In many states, your car is treated like your domicile. I am not sure about MD law in this regard.

So I ask for opinions on whether it would be legal to OC in your car
    I don't know the answer to your question but I would reason the answer too be no. Under the new law you can carry on your person concealed (by clothing) or in you car concealed (In a container). I think it would be a hard sale to say if I have a gun on my hip while in my car I am allowed to simultaneously ignore both of those provisions.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I don’t disagree

I agree with the definition but is your car an extension of your domicile?

No case law I’m guessing

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I was wondering about this as well. I went to the Northern Neck in VA this weekend and was carrying in the usual manner, IWB but wearing a sweatshirt over everything. When I’m in the car, sometimes it’s nice to ditch the sweatshirt.
    It would still be mostly concealed but would be nice to ditch the sweatshirt and not have to worry about dealing with an officer or trooper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don’t disagree

I agree with the definition but is your car an extension of your domicile?

No case law I’m guessing
    I'm thinking no as well on the car/domicile because Maryland. I'm still not clear on the whole shooting a car-jacker question. A car being property, we aren't allowed to protect it by deadly force. For every answer, five more questions arise, it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom