• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    In many states, your car is treated like your domicile. I am not sure about MD law in this regard.

So I ask for opinions on whether it would be legal to OC in your car

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was always under the impression one could keep an 'open' AR pistol in their vehicle while occupied, except of course, in a school parking lot(nowadays). But I know nothink!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm going to speculate that this discussion is about otherwise Legal carry , in the post 10/ 01/ 23 SB-1 environment , with " no Open Carry " , and vehicles , such as removing cover garment when climbing behind the wheel .

The Questions revolve around what is Concealed , and what is not .

The guidance will be scratched upon in deep dive of Case Law . 4- 101 and predecessor statutes , especially pre 1972 when Handguns were included , and only Concealed was illegal . ( I don't have an Annotated Article 27 at hand , so rolling from memory ).

In many of these cases , the defense would be contending that ( whatever object ) was concealed . and the State would be attempting to prove it was concealed . Of the ones going to trial in Annotation worthy cases , it would often be about ( objects) in waistband or partially in and out of pockets .

The oversimplified , overgeneralized standard is to the effect of - " Readily Recognizable as a Blah Blah , by a Common Person upon Casual Observation " . ( Cliche examples - a hunting knife sheath visable with handle covered , recognizible . Bottom inch of rounded , closed toe holster - probably not .)

AND - Lots of lawyering back and forth , on the sub topic of whether if Blah Blah was readily recognizable from angle X , but there were observed by LEO from angle Y . Or visable if standing or sitting , in various sequences .

Yeah , I'm being confusing and obscure , without bright line clear answers , but that's accurately reporting the subject matter .

The Biggfoot .*not legal advice * initial answer , subject to more research , or future clarification :

Can your Roscoe be seen / readily identified by common person as a Roscoe , from outside of your vehicle .

Depends on you , your build , your holster, your vehicle , the placement of windows , and etc

Hypothetical Not Legal Advice -
    You are left handed / carrying off side for crossdraw , and gun is tight against your body at 9:00 position , and your left hip is in reasonably close to the vehicle door .

It can't be seen by outside observer without either pressing nose to glass , or even sticking head inside the l opened ) window - Probably not " open "

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Depends on you , your build , your holster, your vehicle , the placement of windows , and etc
    Depends on the LEO and his attitude at the moment, and the prosecutor and his hunger for convictions, the circumstances of the arrest, the political tenor of the jurisdiction, your financial status and ability to pay for heavy-duty lawyers, and your political contributions.

And to a far lesser degree, on the law, such as it is.

whiskey3

MDS Supporter
    Jul 27, 2022
    Solomons, MD
    So, I have something like this for longer trips, that is now a no go?

Attachments

• IMG_0482.jpeg
      IMG_0482.jpeg
      63.3 KB · Views: 93

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I think the only laws relating to how handguns are transported are the permit vs no permit transportation. SB1 requires nonpermit holders to have one of those specified destinations and locked container; pretty certain SB1 and all other MD laws & regs are mute on transport by permit holders. No law, no restriction. If you want to argue, you could say it is undefined, like "bona fide collector", but the way I read it, there is no law regarding how permit holders transport

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    1) Go to store.
    2) Buy Doritos.
    3) Eat Doritos.
    4) Wash hands.
    5) Cut bottom of bag open.
    6) Place bag over cool pistol mount.

I'd go with something unappetising; maybe a bag of GMO-Free Kale Chips?

No one is going to bother checking that bag.

whiskey3

MDS Supporter
    Jul 27, 2022
    Solomons, MD
    Idntknow…

§5–307.
    (a) A permit is valid for each handgun legally in the possession of the person
    to whom the permit is issued.
    (b) (1) Subject to subsection (c) of this section, a permit issued under this subtitle shall restrict the wearing, carrying, and transporting of a handgun by the person to whom the permit is issued to wearing, carrying, or transporting a handgun concealed from view:
    (i) under or within an article of the person’s clothing; or
    (ii) within an enclosed case.”

sounds like I need a cross draw holster for the truck. Darn, I liked my little pistol holder

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom