Breaking: Dumais openly flipping *against* "full ban" on 'AWs'!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Agree with op... No counting chickens. This should just give everyone a reason to call or show up in annapolis tomorrow.

Military doctrine is that you don't reinforce failure, you reinforce success.

We have them in retreat. NOW is the time to redouble our efforts.

Call, visit, fax & email, but also get your kids to do this, your wife to do this, your parents to join in, friends you have that you can ask a "special favor" of just for you, etc.

Once lost, civil rights are usually lost for a lifetime. Don't get weary now.

BerettaTMC

Apr 12, 2010
    I sent Dumais this:

Kathleen:

I was encouraged to read that you are rethinking your position on the "assault weapon" ban. I was also pleasantly surprised to hear that you have actually started researching this issue. To many times politicians legislate without any first hand knowledge about the topic and usually results in very short-sighted laws. The reaction related to the tragedy in Newtown is understandable given the sheer number of innocent children among the victims. However, you have to ask yourself if an assault weapon ban would have prevented that psychotic and deranged individual from carrying out those horrific acts of violence? That person was bent on causing as much havoc and destruction on the most defenseless of individuals and would have used any means (legal or illegal) to carry out such atrocities. People feel the need for security and constantly look to legislators for some sort of panacea to make them sleep better at night. I am sure that in your research has shown how few acts of violence in Maryland have been committed by weapons that would be characterized as "assault weapons". You also have to ask yourself if you should pursue legislation that is merely symbolic, with no substantive affect on curbing violence AND that legislation happens to infringe on many citizens' Constitutional rights under the 2nd Amendment?

Also, I would also like to understand why the proposed fingerprinting is necessary for citizens who have never committed a crime? How is that an effective deterrent gun violence? This reminds me of the current Maryland law for the new handgun shell casings to be sent to the Maryland State Police. These casings have never been used to identify the shooter in a criminal case. It sounds great in theory but it has just been an administrative cost for the State and has NO substantive impact on cracking down on gun violence. Please research this issue (if you haven't already) and I am sure you will come to agree that symbolic legislation just does not work.

I urge you as a Montgomery County resident to remove yourself from co-sponsoring the legislation and oppose any further legislation on "assault weapons" and the treating of gun owners as "criminals".

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    "An unjust law is a code that a numerical or power majority group compels a minority group to obey but does not make binding on itself. This is difference made legal. By the same token, a just law is a code that a majority compels a minority to follow and that it is willing to follow itself." -MLK

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    the bill is being voted on by two committees, do not forget why. if they have the votes to pass it out of committee, they can give her permission to vote against. hate to sound like a negative nelly, but it happens down here.

i hate to be a negative nelly, but i tend to agree. the money for baltimore schools was the payola for the gun bill IMO. Baltimore city schools are "graduating" 00s of gang members a year. Do BC delegates really think gun control will stop the shooting? no. But they can say that they got money for schools and "tried' to stop the availability of guns - and hope their constituents will look past this.

Depending on how the final bill looks, a watered down bill can be worse than no bill because it can be harder to challenge. I am getting more pessimistic by the day, i almost wish for a really bad and easy to challenge bill at this point.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Competitive shooters are not the enemy here fella's. We are all on the same side. Every chip we can take away from this legislation helps our cause as a whole. Every sound reason we demonstrate to them helps whether it be competition, hunting, self defense, etc. Not every reason or use can be demonstrated by each individual in the limited time available for testimony. It is all part of the whole picture. Stand together!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I see a couple of things going on here, the main one being that the federal AWB died miserably in the senate yesterday with less than 40 votes. (interesting that it said "less than 40 votes" - it makes me wonder just how many fewer than 40 there were.) I would have figured it to be a slam-dunk for the US Senate, and that we'd have to push and hope that it got killed in the House, but it didn't even get close to making it out of the Senate, which means that it was pretty unpopular nationwide.

Bringing this forward to Maryland, it seems to me that Owe'Malley jumped on this bandwagon because he felt it was going to be good for him politically, and would help define him as a leading candidate in 2016 on a national scale. Well, it would appear that this wasn't a great direction for him to go, so now he's looking at a situation politically, that if all of this crap gets pushed through in Maryland, he OWNS it - he's the one who called for it in the wake of Sandyhook after all. How will that look for 2016 if he's vying for a crack at the White House, but the nation as a whole doesn't want any additional gun-control laws?

He can't be seen to waffle on it though - that would make him seem to be politically fickle, which is just as bad as pushing a bad position, and it will give him a bit more credibility if another tragedy/opportunity comes up. He can tell the country that he tried but that other factors prevented it. He'll still look bad for suggesting it, but if it doesn't pass then it can't be hung around his neck negatively.

It just seems to me that from a political point of view it makes sense for Owe'Malley to take the teeth out of this bill from within. It's going to be people like Dumais doing it, even though Owe'Malley will be pulling the strings.

Is my tinfoil too thick or is it too tight?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I see a couple of things going on here, the main one being that the federal AWB died miserably in the senate yesterday with less than 40 votes. (interesting that it said "less than 40 votes" - it makes me wonder just how many fewer than 40 there were.) I would have figured it to be a slam-dunk for the US Senate, and that we'd have to push and hope that it got killed in the House, but it didn't even get close to making it out of the Senate, which means that it was pretty unpopular nationwide.

Bringing this forward to Maryland, it seems to me that Owe'Malley jumped on this bandwagon because he felt it was going to be good for him politically, and would help define him as a leading candidate in 2016 on a national scale. Well, it would appear that this wasn't a great direction for him to go, so now he's looking at a situation politically, that if all of this crap gets pushed through in Maryland, he OWNS it - he's the one who called for it in the wake of Sandyhook after all. How will that look for 2016 if he's vying for a crack at the White House, but the nation as a whole doesn't want any additional gun-control laws?

He can't be seen to waffle on it though - that would make him seem to be politically fickle, which is just as bad as pushing a bad position, and it will give him a bit more credibility if another tragedy/opportunity comes up. He can tell the country that he tried but that other factors prevented it. He'll still look bad for suggesting it, but if it doesn't pass then it can't be hung around his neck negatively.

It just seems to me that from a political point of view it makes sense for Owe'Malley to take the teeth out of this bill from within. It's going to be people like Dumais doing it, even though Owe'Malley will be pulling the strings.

Is my tinfoil too thick or is it too tight?

If O'Malley had any political clue he would not go to South Carolina after just having passed a gas tax increase and gun ban bill. O'Malley spent his whole political life in Baltimore and then Maryland, so he probably actually belives the crap he espouses. I dont think he is nearly as smart as you give him credit for. More likely, they freed up Dumais to vote against this bill because they shored up some other votes (for example, with the school funding).

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    I sent Dumais this:

Kathleen:

I was encouraged to read that you are rethinking your position on the "assault weapon" ban. I was also pleasantly surprised to hear that you have actually started researching this issue. Too many times politicians legislate without any firsthand knowledge about the topic and usually results in very short-sighted laws. The reaction related to the tragedy in Newtown is understandable given the sheer number of innocent children among the victims. However, you have to ask yourself if an assault weapon ban would have prevented that psychotic and deranged individual from carrying out those horrific acts of violence? That person was bent on causing as much havoc and destruction on the most defenseless of individuals and would have used any means (legal or illegal) to carry out such atrocities. People feel the need for security and constantly look to legislators for some sort of panacea to make them sleep better at night. I am sure that in your research has shown how few acts of violence in Maryland have been committed by weapons that would be characterized as "assault weapons". You also have to ask yourself if you should pursue legislation that is merely symbolic, with no substantive affect on curbing violence AND that legislation happens to infringe on many citizens' Constitutional rights under the 2nd Amendment?

Also, I would also like to understand why the proposed fingerprinting is necessary for citizens who have never committed a crime? How is that an effective deterrent against gun violence? This reminds me of the current Maryland law for the new handgun shell casings to be sent to the Maryland State Police. These casings have never been used to identify the shooter in a criminal case. It sounds great in theory but it has just been an administrative cost for the State and has NO substantive impact on cracking down on gun violence. Please research this issue (if you haven't already), and I’m certain you will come to agree that symbolic legislation just does not work.

I urge you as a Montgomery County resident to remove yourself from co-sponsoring the legislation and oppose any further legislation on "assault weapons" and the treating of gun owners as "criminals".

Made some small changes and corrections. Send something very similar to all Representatives, it has good content. Good Job!!!!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If O'Malley had any political clue he would not go to South Carolina after just having passed a gas tax increase and gun ban bill. O'Malley spent his whole political life in Baltimore and then Maryland, so he probably actually belives the crap he espouses. I dont think he is nearly as smart as you give him credit for. More likely, they freed up Dumais to vote against this bill because they shored up some other votes (for example, with the school funding).
    Possibly. I can say from firsthand experience after having met Owe'Malley a number of times that IMO he's an empty suit - he has a lot of personal charisma, and the lights are on, but nobody's home.

I don't know if it's just a star-power thing with him and he's been able to ride his natural charisma to the lead seat in Maryland, or if he has some political savy, but I have actually heard him referred to by national news networks as a rising star in the Democratic party. Stranger things have happened though - look who is occupying the WH now.

I just have a gut feeling that things are starting to turn where guns are concerned. It's pretty clear that by and large the people of this country don't believe for a second that additional laws are going to have any kind of meaningful impact on gun related crime, simply put because criminals don't care about the law.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Just called Dumais (she is my rep) and asked her current position on the HB294 and SB281. Was told by staffer she didn't know how the Del would vote and the no voting was scheduled for today. Told the staffer I stand opposed to these bills and requested that Dumais vote no on the bills and to pull her sponsorship of the bills. Let her know I was a Dino and would be voting against her in the primaries and general election if she continued to support these bills.

All of the representatives who have supported these bills at any point this year need to be removed from office. This is a great opportunity to turn the Ship of state around and take back Maryland from the left. We need to send a message that we are not to be trifled with and that even proposing legislation to take away our rights will not be tolerated.

We need to realize that we are the underdog here. We need to allow them to change their views. That is the point of lobbying .

Now if they think we will be fooled by a smokescreen... they should think again. But a genuine change of view is welcome and should be encoraged . We are not to be trifled with. We know many if the tricks and will learn the rest quickly but we are working to win hearted and minds .. so we are willing to accept honorable surrender. We will not compromise because we cannot....

If a Delegate or Senator was opposed us in the past then the path to redemption is clear, support us now, clearly,publicly, and prove to us that you mean it. Red herrings and smokescreens will not do it.

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    Possibly. I can say from firsthand experience after having met Owe'Malley a number of times that IMO he's an empty suit - he has a lot of personal charisma, and the lights are on, but nobody's home.

I agree!! O'Malley is a card - easy to read. O’Malley is a simple follower.

Some Bio:
    He was appointed to the nations first-ever Council of Governors by President Obama on January 11, 2010. - I bet O'Malley got this for allowing New Americans in Maryland to vote for Obama.

A degree from Catholic University, and member of St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church. - He should be a Preacher, not a politician.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    She's my rep. Her district includes large portions of rural/conservative areas. I'm glad she's listening to us folks.

HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD

Some Bio:
    He was appointed to the nations first-ever Council of Governors by President Obama on January 11, 2010. - I bet O'Malley got this for allowing New Americans in Maryland to vote for Obama.

A degree from Catholic University, and member of St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church. - He should be a Preacher, not a politician.

Owemalley was one of or the highest goveners donating to obama's campain...what does that tell you.
    http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/2/obama-campaign-releases-top-fundraisers-will-smith/

Other top donors included musician Gwen Stefani, fashion editor Anna Wintour, Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley and Virginia gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe.

moo-cow

Moo!
    Dec 4, 2010
    MoCo
    She's my rep. Her district includes large portions of rural/conservative areas. I'm glad she's listening to us folks.

Sen. Garagiola surely didn't listen...

Hopefully western Maryland will not forget that next time he wants to go after Delaney's House seat.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Some Bio:

Had no idea he was a member of St. Franics. Got married there and we had our first two kids baptized there. Third kid is getting baptized on Sunday at St. Michaels in Woodbine. Now I feel dirty. Wonder if I should tell my wife that he is a member of St. Francis.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    the bill is being voted on by two committees, do not forget why. if they have the votes to pass it out of committee, they can give her permission to vote against. hate to sound like a negative nelly, but it happens down here.

If a co-sponsor from Frosh's neck of the woods seeks and receives such permission what does that tell the rest of the delegates about the 85% support? Not saying it will not happen, but man that's a body blow....

I would not want to be either Frosh or mom trying to get help on the campaign trail after that;)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Sen. Garagiola surely didn't listen...

Hopefully western Maryland will not forget that next time he wants to go after Delaney's House seat.

When I was living in Germantown, I wrote Garagiola about the the assault weapon bill that was proposed in 2008 and he wrote me stating that he was opposed to it. Wonder what made him change his mind over 5 or so years. I figured he was going to be trouble. Anybody that has a political agenda is going to be trouble versus people that truly have the best interest of the country at heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom