• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    Lwrc DI. A bit more. But outstanding quality. OP did ask for "best" MD legal ar. Hell I got a noveske rogue hunter at Duffy's C&C.[/QUO

LWRC but I like piston vs DI
    or
    Engage.

Can't go wrong with either one. Have had both with zero issues after thousands of rounds through them. There are others I'm sure but I've used both of these in AR class in all kinds of weather conditions and like I said before. Zero problems.

do you have the LWRC DI ? (I seen your comment of piston vs DI after the LWRC) so wasn't sure

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    honestly for my first I would rather just buy one, I have tossed around the idea of building 1 or 2, but I would rather have 1 that is manufactured and all from 1 company and later on build 1 or 2 out from there.

I appreciate the build side of things but at the same time the instant gratification of just buying a gun off the shelf that is ready to go for the most part is very appealing

Remember that if you build it, you will be able to put the parts on it, that you want on it, not what some company person says you will get.

If you are concerned about building, you can always take your box of parts and take one of the SOTAR build classes. I've taken the SOTAR build class and highly recommend it.

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    Remember that if you build it, you will be able to put the parts on it, that you want on it, not what some company person says you will get.

If you are concerned about building, you can always take your box of parts and take one of the SOTAR build classes. I've taken the SOTAR build class and highly recommend it.

very valid points but at this point I don't know what all parts I want and I fear I will end up buying a bunch of stuff I will end up not wanting or liking after getting the gun together and for me that seems to be a big waste.

I spent some time the other day at a local gun shop to get a feel for some of the guns and I am starting to get a feel for some stuff I do or don't want but not to the point I feel ready to build one.

thanks for the heads up about the classes, I was actually looking at them and I think would be a great idea for me

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    very valid points but at this point I don't know what all parts I want and I fear I will end up buying a bunch of stuff I will end up not wanting or liking after getting the gun together and for me that seems to be a big waste.

I spent some time the other day at a local gun shop to get a feel for some of the guns and I am starting to get a feel for some stuff I do or don't want but not to the point I feel ready to build one.

thanks for the heads up about the classes, I was actually looking at them and I think would be a great idea for me
    Understood.

Take the Armorer class first.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Added it to my to do list, was just looking over it and very impressed with how comprehensive it is, especially given the cost and the fact it isn't too far away is nice

As a graduate, I can not stress this enough. Do not be upset if there is something wrong with a factory built rifle. You might be surprised to find out that rifle that is marketed as a 556, actually has a 223 chamber, but don't worry. You learn a lot more about the AR than you could ever imagine possible. Because of SOTAR and our favorite resident GS, I found out that the AR isn't as complicated as it appears on the surface.

One more thing, Mobil 1 Synthetic (not synthetic blend, it has to be full synthetic) will be probably be your gun lube of choice after taking the class. I know it is my primary lube of choice now, for all of my firearms. Miltec, FrogLube, etc... are overpriced for what they do, IMO. 15+ bucks for a 2 oz. bottle of lube, where I spend says 6 bucks on a quart of synthetic 5W-20 and it will do the same thing as all the other "lubes". also that quart will last me a long time, and since I have to use 5W-20 in my vehicle, I have 2 more quarts on the shelf, to use in the car or to use as gun lube.

If you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods and want to see what options there are for an AR and see what you may/may not like on a personal build, drop me a PM and we'll meet up.

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    As a graduate, I can not stress this enough. Do not be upset if there is something wrong with a factory built rifle. You might be surprised to find out that rifle that is marketed as a 556, actually has a 223 chamber, but don't worry. You learn a lot more about the AR than you could ever imagine possible. Because of SOTAR and our favorite resident GS, I found out that the AR isn't as complicated as it appears on the surface.

One more thing, Mobil 1 Synthetic (not synthetic blend, it has to be full synthetic) will be probably be your gun lube of choice after taking the class. I know it is my primary lube of choice now, for all of my firearms. Miltec, FrogLube, etc... are overpriced for what they do, IMO. 15+ bucks for a 2 oz. bottle of lube, where I spend says 6 bucks on a quart of synthetic 5W-20 and it will do the same thing as all the other "lubes". also that quart will last me a long time, and since I have to use 5W-20 in my vehicle, I have 2 more quarts on the shelf, to use in the car or to use as gun lube.

If you ever find yourself in my neck of the woods and want to see what options there are for an AR and see what you may/may not like on a personal build, drop me a PM and we'll meet up.

thanks for the additional info and once I get settled with my gun, I will shoot you a PM, I am in Baltimore county but travel out west a good bit

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Re : Post #80 , ok I get you about wishing a complete rifle.

Plan A.5 - Buy a complete well regarded mid priced rifle, and then also buy a complete upper assy in .300 (or whatever).

Logan Betterton

May 14, 2015
    Eastern Shore MD
    Building one can sometimes save you a bit and you'll be able to make it just how you want it. Its also nice to know how your rifle works and etc.

However, if this is your first AR you will likely not quite know exactly what features you really want and their benefits. This is learned from spending time shooting and using the rifle. I always think its a good idea to get one complete and get some time using it. From there, you will know what features you really want based on experience. Buying a complete also comes with a warranty among other things. Buying an LWRC right off the bat will spoil you though, most of the common (and costly) upgrades will already be there anyway.

Our Di +Aimpoint T2 or Tijicon MRO (very nice optic for the $$$) and you got yourself a nice shooter that will last a long time. Good luck!

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Daemon Assassin where in Fredneck are you ? I live here in Monkey county right below you. I am as well also wanting to build my own AR 15 but since I am on disability have to to it a little bit at a time until i get all the parts together not to mention the $$$ also. I would like to meet up with you also and learn a few things from you if you would not mind..
    thanks
    Doug

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Daemon Assassin where in Fredneck are you ? I live here in Monkey county right below you. I am as well also wanting to build my own AR 15 but since I am on disability have to to it a little bit at a time until i get all the parts together not to mention the $$$ also. I would like to meet up with you also and learn a few things from you if you would not mind..
    thanks
    Doug

I'm the Cresap Range Land area. It is kinda like the DC Metro area, but this one is cooler, because it has a gun range in the middle. :lol2:

Drop me a PM, we'll discuss further.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    honestly for my first I would rather just buy one, I have tossed around the idea of building 1 or 2, but I would rather have 1 that is manufactured and all from 1 company and later on build 1 or 2 out from there.

I appreciate the build side of things but at the same time the instant gratification of just buying a gun off the shelf that is ready to go for the most part is very appealing

I completely understand the appeal of just buying one. I would consider getting something relatively inexpensive as my first rifle. What I thought I wanted in my ideal AR ended up not being the case. You will change your mind when you start shooting and reading up on them. If you go inexpensive you can start modifying with no regrets.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I never thought about building my 1st AR. The first one I got was just what I wanted. Now I'd like a short carbine, that is light and fast to move. That means I need two. Ideally I'd have an ar10 and that for two separate tasks.

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    I completely understand the appeal of just buying one. I would consider getting something relatively inexpensive as my first rifle. What I thought I wanted in my ideal AR ended up not being the case. You will change your mind when you start shooting and reading up on them. If you go inexpensive you can start modifying with no regrets.

I understand what you are saying but like the other guy said, getting the LWRC off the bat will pretty much spoil me plus it has most of the stuff I would want minus optic and iron sights. I have handled quite a few AR's in the past week or so trying to get a feel for them and what I do and don't like and after getting my hands on a few higher end AR's, I feel I am going to be pretty happy with that choice and not buy a gun and a few weeks later be like oh, I don't like this, let me tear it apart

also if on the off chance I don't like it, that is just an excuse to try again ;)

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I understand what you are saying but like the other guy said, getting the LWRC off the bat will pretty much spoil me plus it has most of the stuff I would want minus optic and iron sights. I have handled quite a few AR's in the past week or so trying to get a feel for them and what I do and don't like and after getting my hands on a few higher end AR's, I feel I am going to be pretty happy with that choice and not buy a gun and a few weeks later be like oh, I don't like this, let me tear it apart

also if on the off chance I don't like it, that is just an excuse to try again ;)

The LWRC is a fine choice. I would definitely consider other options as well. Some other OP's on this site can build something that would surpass expectations for that price.

I'm sure that collection will grow over the next year. :thumbsup:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I never thought about building my 1st AR. The first one I got was just what I wanted. Now I'd like a short carbine, that is light and fast to move. That means I need two. Ideally I'd have an ar10 and that for two separate tasks.

How light do you want to go? I have some ideas on how to build a relatively light AR that uses BUIS and is free floated, yet has an HBAR on it.

psusra112

Jun 8, 2011
    lol
    I played with a LWRC DI rifle yesterday. It was certainly a very nice rifle. Pretty much a done rifle aside from an optic IMO but then again for 1400 bucks, it better be LOL.

ambidextrous everything and felt very well made.

I still have a hard time swallowing a 1400 dollar AR-15 price but figure that a 700 dollar gun can easily climb to that price with all the options it comes with including the hammer forged barrel which is fluted and light weight.

I just did it. Just bought the optic, too...about $1900 in. That being said, I feel the need to change exactly nothing with it. Buy once, cry once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom