• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fyshbum

Jun 25, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Joe, the Python would be foolish if I remember correctly what Chad has written. I seem to remember that he has said certain parts are becoming scarce and maintaining a Python will only become more expensive.

What about a .22 semi auto? A used Ruger Mk II or new Mk III? Yes, reassembly can be a pain, but they are fun guns to shoot.

Or... How about a Ruger single action Blackhawk? .357/.38 special caliber.

Or...Skip the 38/.357, since you already have one, and get one of the .44 special or .45 colt blackhawk or flattops. You already reload, components are easily found, and you cannot beat the versatility of a large caliber single action. From snake loads to hunting loads thay can handle it all in a gun that is readily available, affordable, easy to fix (if they ever break), and accurate enough for most handgun shooting many of us will ever attempt.

I mentioned the new flattops because they are under 40 ounces and are quite handy in the 4.75 and 5.5 barrel lengths. In the .45 colt they can push a 270-300 grain cast bullet @ 1100 fps, at their recommended pressure limit, which is plenty for just about all NA big game. Even the factory 250-255 grain loads which shoot like creampuffs are good enough for deer, smaller black bear, and hogs inside 50 yards.

At $350-550 or just a little more in SS they are a heck of a bargain for such a usefull handgun.

Or if you are a double action fan the .44 or .45 in the S&W mountian guns are really handy and great shooters. They do cost more, in the range of 600-1000 though. They are very well made and most are in Stainless.

Just a thought.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    If you want a 1911, I suggest checking out the Para GI Expert. It's a lot of gun for the money, classic design with modern features and a great build quality. Under $600 with two mags.

para-gi-expert.jpg

If you want something different and stylish, and also under $600, how about a Uberti 1873 single-action in .45 Long Colt?

1873_cattleman_chisholm_nm_lg.jpg

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Some people decided to take cheap shots at SJ and his financial situation. I won't name who but due to these comments I've lost a lot of respect for the person involved

Why do I have a feeling I know who it might have been? Their snobbery usually isn't applied to handguns though...

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Everybody has their budget and their private circumstances. It shows insecurity to take a cheap shot at another person's situation.

Forums like this are to connect and build community, provide a means for communication, and share knowledge. Not to pump up your ego by degrading others.

Good on the mod for cleaning that up quick.

Back to the guns! If you're looking for something different, maybe a CZ-82 9x18 ($175-250 range) or a Nagant 7.62x38R ($100-150 range) revolver? They are accurate, fun, and ammo is relatively inexpensive.

cz2b.jpg

3951931700_05be819ab9.jpg

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Everybody has their budget and their private circumstances. It shows insecurity to take a cheap shot at another person's situation.

Forums like this are to connect and build community, provide a means for communication, and share knowledge. Not to pump up your ego by degrading others.

Good on the mod for cleaning that up quick.

Back to the guns! If you're looking for something different, maybe a CZ-82 9x18 ($175-250 range) or a Nagant 7.62x38R ($100-150 range) revolver? They are accurate, fun, and ammo is relatively inexpensive.

500px-S%26W-Model-1917.jpg

you know this isn't the Nagant Revolver right?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Maybe consider a G23. You could buy a conversion barrel and shoot both 40 and 9 mm.2 guns in one.

Chad will probably object though.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    In the words of Treyvon Martin, "Arrgghh! You got me.."

Thanks for the catch. What is that one, a WWI-era S&W? Probably a bit more than $100!

Looks like a S&W 1917 or the current Model 22, Model of 1917. Nice classic .45ACP revolver but suggested list of the new gun is $1,000.

Sirex