• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    As an adult, I am fortunate enough to have relatives that give me cash for Christmas. Traditionally, about six months out, I begin the research for my next big gun purchase since that is the only time during the year I have any kind of disposable income. Carolyn and I don't use credit cards (though we have one) and with a limited income, I have decided to go with quality and not quantity. The days of picking up every single barrel shotgun just because it was a good price are long gone.

I am still trying to decide between a semi-auto and a revolver. I think it would be tough (in my mind) to top having a Model 27 S&W. A Colt Python would be nice, but WAY out of my league.

I have begun the list and will slowly narrow it down over the next 6 months. I know it seems like a long time, but I want to do this right. I don't want to repeat the mistakes of the SCCY, Bersa or Taurus. I'm taking my time and educating myself.

The list so far:

Glock 17/19- I like 9mm. I have handled a few Glocks and, while not great looking, they are purposeful and utilitarian like the tool they are. Proven track record, and a good reputation.

Rock Island 1911- Well, for one, it's a 1911. It's also at a price point that I will most likely be looking at. I don't need bells and whistles. I want something that shoots.

Beretta 92- Plenty of police trade ins out there at good prices. Coulda had one a while back from the Fulton County Georgia Sheriff's Dept. .40 S&W at $350.

J-Frame S&W- I am already reloading .38 Spl, and this would keep it in the family. CCW is imminent here, so it would be nice to carry something that doesn't weigh 100 lbs. I don't care about pre-lock or any of that crap.

Charter Arms Bulldog- an old one, before the QA went to crap. I like the idea of a small frame revolver in a large caliber.

L Frame S&W- Something like a 2.5" or 3" 686. Lately, stainless and seven rounds has seemed more appealing to me.

I know there are some of you who are asking "Why the hell are you starting six months out?"

I just want to do it right. I wouldn't just walk into a car dealer and say "I'll take that one!" without researching it, taking it for a test drive, etc....

I am welcoming any input. Alternate suggestions are welcome, as well. My list is just a jumping off point and isn't etched in stone.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    Got my RIA 1911 recently glad i picked it up i love it. Just get rid of the goofy grips it comes with as i did.
    IMG_01091.jpg

IMG_01131.jpg

I plan on upgraded the trigger and hammer soon with nice stainless parts.

rob b

c@r collecting
    Joe
    you know me I will tell everyone all day to buy a glock as I love them all
    especially the glock 17 great shooter good capacity and accurate
    however I do like revolvers myself and I am very fond of the S&W mod 12
    and the model 36 and you already have ammo for them so it is a win win

but its always hard to decide on one when you want them all :D

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I don't really know you or know what you already have but you seem like an old school kind of man. How about something like this?

Attachments

• 1890_police_lg.jpg
      1890_police_lg.jpg
      32.6 KB · Views: 327

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Well,

You have a particular sense of style that works for you.

Glock doesn't seem to fit it.

Another wheel gun or a 1911 seems appropriate. Maybe the MDS 1911 group buy if it happens?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Joe, the Python would be foolish if I remember correctly what Chad has written. I seem to remember that he has said certain parts are becoming scarce and maintaining a Python will only become more expensive.

What about a .22 semi auto? A used Ruger Mk II or new Mk III? Yes, reassembly can be a pain, but they are fun guns to shoot.

Or... How about a Ruger single action Blackhawk? .357/.38 special caliber.

Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    The GLOCK G19 will cover all your bases. Compact enough to carry in a Crossbreed Super Tuck. Rock solid reliability, reasonably priced, with great capacity at 15+1. Practice ammo is as cheap as any caliber can come. If you are reloading, more spent brass than you can carry is laying around the range.

It will never win any beauty contests, but it does go bang every time.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Well if you are considering a semi the grip angle makes it Glock/Ruger Mk whatever or anything else. My wrists are not limp enough for Glocks or Rugers so I favor the EAA Witness(CZ75 clone) for interchangability of calibers and classes or the 1911 or Beretta/Taurus/Sig etc. For revolvers I love my Dan Wesson. With a few barrels and accessories I can go from stock to unlimited class in any event and they are one of the most accurate handguns ever made.
    I am also on a budget so value is always a priority. I have a Wal Mart Mossberg 935 that when I could not find a 930 mate for I drilled and short tapped an extra 8-32 gas port in for target loads and it works great.
    I also found myself pining for an AR10 clone and could not justify the expense. I found a 30-06 Rem 7400 at Wal Mart for $350. After adding the $65 Knoxx Opstock,Cheaper than Dirt 10rnd mags a modifiied Warhammer stock and FM 10-40x scope have a 3/8"moa 30-06 that nobody would imagine cost around $800.
    The possabilities are endless good luck.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    My hat into the ring would be a Smith and Wesson M&P 9 with the APEX trigger kit. Reliable, higher capacity than a wheelgun, ability to change grips/backstraps, to fit a wide variety of shooters, cheap ammo HD and TP, and semis are less bulky than a revolver so easier to conceal. Another added benefit to me is the fact its easier to slap a mag in than a speed clip.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've picked up a few interesting items since getting my C&R. I like J-frames, and thought the ideal might be a M36 or M37 Smith wiht a 3" barrel. The 36 has a bit more substance, the 37 is a virtual feather. And of course the sight radius is 50% longer than the usual snub.

I got a pre-27 with the 3.5" barrel, because i always thought it was beautiful. Mine had been nicely reblued, and a gunsmith replaced the hand and got the timing right, so now it's good for another 50 years. But the thing is a brick; you develop a permanent lean to one side wearing it. Of course, when you take it off, you lean to the other side, so it's a wash, more or less.

Cheapskates like me hate the feeling of shooting quarters downrange with every pull of the trigger; old Colt Woodsman has all you'd want in a .22; great workmanship, John Browning design, classic pistol.

You're a year too late to score a cheap HK P7; they were floating around for 5-600 bucks a while ago. Heavy all steel 9mm, some think it's the best 9mm design ever. Some think it's ugly. I don't.

I found a Colt New Service in 45LC that I'm still paying off on; I'm strongly tempted to use it as a base for a partial Fitz conversion, but I'll have to wait and see. Another big heavy gun, but with a shortened grip frame and a 2" barrel and a bobbed hammer, it just screams bulldog menace. I don't know if I can resist the call.

You're welcome to consider any of my favorites, or just enjoy the list for what it is. The nice thing is you've given yourself six months to work up an appetite and sharpen your desire to a keen edge. That's almost as much fun as actually getting a gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom