• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Fire seems to be the only way to kill the prions, but it there has been some concern recently that it can survive some.
    Anything that'll denature a protein. Bleach can do it. Stronger acids and bases can do it. Heat can do it. Though on the latter, IIRC you are talking something in the 200+F range. Even with something like a big forest fire, you can get stuff that doesn't reach that temperature under leaf litter and stuff. I mean, protein is pretty stable absent a reactive environment. Otherwise, things like jerked meat would be nutritionally and calorically bunk after a few months.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I got a nice reminder why we shoot does. Pasted up a lot of does last year and never shot one. Got a nice buck and eating that steak tonight. Cooked medium rare and it might as well be well done. It is that tough, just not as dry.

I forget the year before I shot a buck first and canned it. Made Stroganoff, soup and jars. Then shot a doe and made steaks. I've said does are better eating for 30 years. Now I remember. Kill some does and THEN buck hunt. Got to grind or can bucks that are older.

It's fun slapping other people, but sometimes you got to slap yourself. What was you thinking? I obviously wasn't.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I got a nice reminder why we shoot does. Pasted up a lot of does last year and never shot one. Got a nice buck and eating that steak tonight. Cooked medium rare and it might as well be well done. It is that tough, just not as dry.

I forget the year before I shot a buck first and canned it. Made Stroganoff, soup and jars. Then shot a doe and made steaks. I've said does are better eating for 30 years. Now I remember. Kill some does and THEN buck hunt. Got to grind or can bucks that are older.

It's fun slapping other people, but sometimes you got to slap yourself. What was you thinking? I obviously wasn't.
    Dunno. My limited experience it’s about the age of the deer. A rutty buck is more gamey tasting, but otherwise an old doe is tougher just like an old buck.

Roasts, backstraps, and tenderloins are still reasonably good even on an old buck or doe. Not as good, but plenty good. But steaks? Anything older than a 1.5yr get ground.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Canning, soup and crock pot make everything soft and tender. I don't ever remember any doe I shot being tough like this.

I also like to use the footballs for steaks and the smaller round roasts as crock pot or pastrami like stuff.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I posted a similar pic in the ammo spotting thread a few weeks back but most of these are deer cartridges so I thought I'd put one here also.
    Fallston Walmart 06/19/2023

Attachments

• 20230618_133413.jpg
      20230618_133413.jpg
      373.6 KB · Views: 69

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    My wife and I spent 5 days last week in Garrett Co. We saw more deer in the road ,crossing the road, about to cross , or just did in 5 days than I have all year in Carroll Co. Quite a few had fawns with them also. Had one run right in front of me and it was a close call. Had to stop completely on a few to allow them to get out of the road. It was unsettling to say the least.

I am staying out of Garrett during the rut. My heart wont take it

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My wife and I spent 5 days last week in Garrett Co. We saw more deer in the road ,crossing the road, about to cross , or just did in 5 days than I have all year in Carroll Co. Quite a few had fawns with them also. Had one run right in front of me and it was a close call. Had to stop completely on a few to allow them to get out of the road. It was unsettling to say the least.

I am staying out of Garrett during the rut. My heart wont take it
    My theory is, the does are moving from their fawning grounds to their summer feeding ranges. The fawns can now run and keep up with moms and are on their to being weened. I'm seeing the same things here in MoCo.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I'm sure there is a bait ban coming at some point. I'm on the fence as to whether it really contributes to it or not since they will concentrate/hang out and lick everything the same way they do over a corn pile under acorns dropping. The pile of corn visible from the ISS that I've seen some folks deploy probably does not help the situation.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm sure there is a bait ban coming at some point. I'm on the fence as to whether it really contributes to it or not since they will concentrate/hang out and lick everything the same way they do over a corn pile under acorns dropping. The pile of corn visible from the ISS that I've seen some folks deploy probably does not help the situation.
    Are you talking about CWD?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think herd density has more to do with things than baiting. If a person's baiting is only drawing a local family group or two, I don't think that's a big deal. Those deer are grazing and browsing on the same food sources. I'm not into baiting, that's not to say I haven't done it. Lots of people do, especially people with limited hunting ares. The bigger the hunting area, the less need I see for it, but that's just me.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My theory is, the does are moving from their fawning grounds to their summer feeding ranges. The fawns can now run and keep up with moms and are on their to being weened. I'm seeing the same things here in MoCo.
    Possibly. This morning was the first time I've seen any of the little zoomers. A couple of fawns with their Mom(s). Just zipping around acting goofy while their mom(s) ignored them. I say plural, because it was a couple of 2 1/2yr old does with a pair of fawns, but the two fawns seemed to be playing with each other and just the one doe who was keeping near them. The other doe kept falling far behind and then running to catch up, rinse and repeat.

It does help explain a lot. Last year I had several fawns in my back woods and I saw a number of older does late spring. This year, almost no older does. All I was seeing were yearling does and a small number of bucks. Both generally in groups, but sex segregated (generally). All the older does were probably still locked down with their fawns until recently and are just now starting to move around.

Probably none of them birthed near my back woods.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think herd density has more to do with things than baiting. If a person's baiting is only drawing a local family group or two, I don't think that's a big deal. Those deer are grazing and browsing on the same food sources. I'm not into baiting, that's not to say I haven't done it. Lots of people do, especially people with limited hunting ares. The bigger the hunting area, the less need I see for it, but that's just me.
    I agree. Then again, me and my little 4.5 acres will probably keep doing it some. Then again, that giant 6-pt last season I don't think was coming into my bait, just cruising by (and I shot him before he even got down near my feeder, which happens to be near the convergence of a bunch of deer trails). Never seen him on camera before, nor laid eyes on him. No need to rehash that almost literal run and gun (well, run and crossbow) story. It had a happy ending.

If I had 20+ acres, I doubt I'd bait at all unless it seemed like the property was just devoid of deer for some reason. Though I'd probably work on habitat improvement first to see if that would help.

Realistically, I know I don't need to bait. Just hoping it attracts some bigger bucks (which I do see feeding sometimes) that might not otherwise stop by. That and slow them down. Deer just passing through might stop. Or might not. Might stop on a grunt. Might not. Deer feeding give a minute or a few to pick just the right one and wait till he/she has lined up a perfect shot. Considering the short distances and the fact that only my immediate neighbors have given permission to retrieve and hunt within safety zones, I want the best odds whatever I am shooting goes the shortest distance possible, and not a 200-300yd sprint and drops two or three neighbors over under their kids' playset.

Just chalk it up to one of those fantasies for retirement or near retirement that I can afford 20 acres (heck, a dozen) somewhere where they have more deer than people.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Heck over at Leisure world their are so many of the little critters and some nice big ones as well and you will see them as you drive around even in full daylight. Saw a 10 point buck the other day and he had a bunch of females and little zoomies just being really goofy. They have no fear of anything because you can not shoot them with to many people around and they sometimes will walk right in and out thru the gate and or just jump over the fence. The only way that large heard that could be taken out is by bow hunting and or dart them and then move them out. There is a TON of tasty meat walking around in there.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Heck over at Leisure world their are so many of the little critters and some nice big ones as well and you will see them as you drive around even in full daylight. Saw a 10 point buck the other day and he had a bunch of females and little zoomies just being really goofy. They have no fear of anything because you can not shoot them with to many people around and they sometimes will walk right in and out thru the gate and or just jump over the fence. The only way that large heard that could be taken out is by bow hunting and or dart them and then move them out. There is a TON of tasty meat walking around in there.
    Yes there are!

CaptainAwesome

Jun 1, 2013
    Pikesville MD
    Concluding the 2022-2023 Bambi wacking thread with an image of bambi w/o mom in a parking lot at the Weis in Fullerton. Was able to get bambi to move to green cover to survive another day in an urban settting.

Attachments

• 20230710_135016.jpg
      20230710_135016.jpg
      492.9 KB · Views: 60

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Almost time for the new thread. I cleaned out three roasts and made slices whole muscle jerky in the wifes Black pepper recipe. Used the new Meat 10 tray dehydrator. Switches from using the round Nesco I would used, but knew it just was not the best.

first observation - These racks hold way more than the round Nesco! 7# of meat would have meant two batches run 8 hours over two days or one really long day. It fit on 6 trays with space. Could have probably got close to ten pound son it.
    Second observation - All cooked down in just over 4 hours. Its still chewy unless you like it tougher. I do, but everyone else besides me and my son expect jerky to be meat bubble gum.
    Third. These racks look to clean way easier!!

Attachments

• 71329002005__AF2B19B4-A091-4C23-8E7F-04FEFB27DD0D.jpeg
      71329002005__AF2B19B4-A091-4C23-8E7F-04FEFB27DD0D.jpeg
      476.9 KB · Views: 55

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Archeryrob.

I began deer hunting late in life. Lesson learned from my first kill.

Doe, The eating results were awesome. I actually never killed a buck but knew the meat was tougher.
    That is unless you count the one button buck I got. I felt bad because he couldn't grow up to get big. It was hard to tell that he was not a she when I shot him too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom