• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    An old adage I believe in: You can't cook the gaminess out of venison, only cook it into it.

Will, I know you and your family have eaten lots of venison. If anyone knows how to cook it, you do(or your wife:D).
    I have cooked my share. Me personally i just like it simple S&P maybe a touch of garlic.

Ground we have used it anything beef is used for.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    An old adage I believe in: You can't cook the gaminess out of venison, only cook it into it.

Will, I know you and your family have eaten lots of venison. If anyone knows how to cook it, you do(or your wife:D).
    Not like I have a crap ton of wisdom on cooking venison, then again, it occurs to me, I think in 8 seasons of hunting now, I've harvested about 20 deer**. So that is several hundred pounds of venison I've cooked. Anyway, I haven't yet cooked venison where it was gamey in taste. I have yet to have a deer I harvested taste gamey* to me. Now, chewy, oh heck yes. That is all about what muscle, how old the deer is, and how you cooked it. Just about any venison if you cook it for the wrong amount of time is tough as heck, more so with certain muscle groups like neck meat.

Either just sear the outside, or cook it slow. Now, some cuts like tenderloins and backstrap that is less of an issue with. But most venison, to me, seems that if you cook it "well done" it is going to be tough. Medium or less is best. Or slow cook it. Then if you slow cook it, you either need to watch over cooking it if you are going for tender, or just say F it, and slow cook the heck out of it for nice and soft if going for a stew, pulled venison, etc. One of the things I have to watch for in chili with roasts. It can be well done, but an hour in the chili pot and it is going to be tough cubes of meat. It really needs like a solid 3 hours+.

*Okay, older deer have a bit more flavor to them, so maybe that is gamey, but it is a taste I don't mind at all and I haven't had one I harvested that tasted "strongly". And a new venison eater, I go with younger deer, and if a buck, not a rutting buck. So I guess I have had gamey venison, I just don't mind it. But if you are going to complain, I'll just eat all of it.

**Also it occurs to me after 8 seasons (or maybe this is my 8th?) and 20 odd deer I feel like I still have plenty I can learn. I have found I am a bit more zen about hunting and feel less pressure when the deer just don't turn up.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    You become a Zen Master of deer hunting, when you no longer succumb to buck fever.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Besides slow cooker I suggest to try the pressure cooker (like Instant pot). It lets you minimize the cooking time and brings the same result.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You become a Zen Master of deer hunting, when you no longer succumb to buck fever.
    I don't get it before a shot. I lost too many good bucks due in part to buck fever in my younger years. Once I gained mental control over that, I began taking good bucks with very few misses. Talking bow and gun.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I don't get it before a shot. I lost too many good bucks due in part to buck fever in my younger years. Once I gained mental control over that, I began taking good bucks with very few misses. Talking bow and gun.
    I almost never get it before the shot either. After, totally different story.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    1000004533.jpg

Made some tenderloin veggie stew last night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom