• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    For the idiots on here like myself...does this mean I can now build an ar9 with pistol brace at any length? All these 2a games confuse me :(

The amount of time myself and others have been lost keeping up with the game dems play legally is criminal. Why don't we fire back and play with illegal search and seizure and throw them all on an island.
    Assuming you're here in MD, if that AR9 is something that's on the pistol roster (thus, it's a pistol you can buy in MD), then it would appear yes. If it's a carbine/rifle-ish thing, sure ... but when you unfold or extend it, the whole thing is still subject to MD's at-least-29-inches rule.

Or, some here will tell you that you can just do whatever you want, because The Man can't touch you with his infringing laws anyway so who cares, because reasons. Take that version of guidance only very carefully under advisement.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    As I've said from the beginning of this charade, I couldn't be touched. I still took my braced pistols to any range or land I wished in any state I wished because they were not NFA items. The "rule" was illegal and was to be ignored, which is exactly what the vast majority of Liberty minded people did. The net effect was that approximately 250,000 rubes registered their braced pistols and created NFA firearms with a bunch of restrictions on them that do not apply to those who refused to comply.

A little speech by one Patrick Henry that should be required reading for every American from the time they are able to read.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."
    This right here!!!

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Is it legal on MD...

Attachments

• dice.gif
      dice.gif
      307.1 KB · Views: 41

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Assuming you're here in MD, if that AR9 is something that's on the pistol roster (thus, it's a pistol you can buy in MD), then it would appear yes. If it's a carbine/rifle-ish thing, sure ... but when you unfold or extend it, the whole thing is still subject to MD's at-least-29-inches rule.

Or, some here will tell you that you can just do whatever you want, because The Man can't touch you with his infringing laws anyway so who cares, because reasons. Take that version of guidance only very carefully under advisement.
    Hmm ty.

I'll be sure to hold my head up high and mighty during the beating and cavity search :).

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    For the idiots on here like myself...does this mean I can now build an ar9 with pistol brace at any length? All these 2a games confuse me :(

The amount of time myself and others have been lost keeping up with the game dems play legally is criminal. Why don't we fire back and play with illegal search and seizure and throw them all on an island.
    There is federal law, and state law, they are different, and both need to be followed.

Federally, post injunction, an SBR is defined as a firearm with a stock and <16" barrel, and/or <26" OAL. A brace no longer is classified as a stock, and using one on a pistol with a single handgrip and short barrel/OAL does not convert it into an SBR. A stripped lower can be assembled into a rifle or handgun, but requires an approved form 1 to be assembled into an SBR

MD state law has a few definitions that differ
    An SBR is a "rifle", and must be over 29" OAL, and is subject to the AWB features list
    A pistol is not subject to the OAL or AWB feature list, but must be on the roster.
    A receiver is "other" and can be built into a pistol without the requirement that it be on the roster, or built into a rifle or SBR that does not meet the state's AWB definition
    MSP previously issued a letter that allowed firearms defined as an SBR federally due to the former brace rule to be registered under a form 1 to be an SBR federally, but as the state still defined pistols with a brace as a pistol, they did not meet MD's definition of a rifle, and were not subject to MD's rifle AWB

SO yes, you can assemble a stripped lower, transferred as "other" into a braced pistol, it does not need to meet the state's 29" OAL or AWB feature list

You can buy a braced pistol, but it must be on the handgun roster

There are benefits for those that did a form 1 on firearms that MD defines as a braced pistol, and the ATF defined as an SBR prior to the injunction. You can add a short rimfire upper and a stock. You can file a form 20, take it to a state where SBRs are legal as configured, and slap a stock on a <29" pistol. You can meet the AWB definitions, get to 29+" OAL, and slap a stock on it in MD.

For those that did not file a form 1, congrats, the ATF no longer considers it an unregistered SBR. MD has not changed their definition of it as a pistol.

small shot

Aug 20, 2020
    AR9 or any other AR pistol, DOES not have to be on the hand gun rooster.

Buy the receiver and register as other and wait the 7 days. Build it into a pistol of your liking. Just don't flip flop. Build it as a pistol first and not as a rifle. Clear as mud.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    AR9 or any other AR pistol, DOES not have to be on the hand gun rooster.

Buy the receiver and register as other and wait the 7 days. Build it into a pistol of your liking. Just don't flip flop. Build it as a pistol first and not as a rifle. Clear as mud.
    Fair enough. The distinction between the hoop-diving, needle-threading self-built flavor and the store-bought flavor is important.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    AR pistols and other such "pistols" ARE on the roster if they are completely manufactured by a company.

They do not go on the roster if they are home builds.

If you build a AR type pistol from a dedicated pistol caliber lower, there is no seven day waiting period. They are cash and carry(non regulated). If your build is on a standard AR15 regulated lower, there is a seven day waiting period involved.

A rifle, so purchased, can not be converted to a pistol. It will be considered an SBR and a $200 tax stamp is required.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Hypothetically...

When am I going to get my refund check for all the pistol braces that I destroyed and the pistol barrels that I threw away, or for all the 16 inch barrels that I had to buy? Who is going to pay me back for all these nefarious leftist shenanigans?

I know the answer and you get my point...

rondon600

Mar 16, 2009
    Hypothetically...

When am I going to get my refund check for all the pistol braces that I destroyed and the pistol barrels that I threw away, or for all the 16 inch barrels that I had to buy? Who is going to pay me back for all these nefarious leftist shenanigans?

I know the answer and you get my point...
    I can hear the lawyer commercials now… “ did you throw away a pistol brace as a result of the ban? You are entitled to compensation. Call the law firm of McGill and McGill”

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I dated a girl while I was in High School that had a cute set of braces...

They were on her legs...

Too soon?

Last edited:

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I’m wondering this too. Can I buy a CZ Scorpion (as a pistol) and add a folding stock or is that considered an SBR?
    If it's sold in Maryland as a pistol, it's a pistol. And with the fresh new ATF smackdown situation, the brace doesn't mean anything (from an SBR point of view). I have one of the short Scorpion "pistols" with a brace, and it is a hoot to shoot, let me tell you. Magpul 35-rounders are nice frosting on that cake.

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    If it's sold in Maryland as a pistol, it's a pistol. And with the fresh new ATF smackdown situation, the brace doesn't mean anything (from an SBR point of view). I have one of the short Scorpion "pistols" with a brace, and it is a hoot to shoot, let me tell you. Magpul 35-rounders are nice frosting on that cake.
    Cool! Makes sense but I half way thought that someone said elsewhere that buying it as a pistol and then adding a folding stock somehow makes it a no go. Makes no sense. How reliable has it been?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom