• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    I'm going to go with this as the best answer so far, I feel much the same way. When I first joined MSI I was a big training advocate, maybe because I knew I already had enough credentials or could easily pass just about any test 'they' could dream up. But after watching how things really happen, I see that training is more often used to divide us, and even worse to make it even harder or impossible for some to carry. Today I'm ok with the status quo; specifically that one only needs to watch a short, free video to purchase and no training required for a MD CCW permit. After all, as they say, this is already the way it is, and there have been no issues. Never thought I would say that or feel this way; and in a perfect world I would love for everyone (police included) to be able to pass the 'US Air Marshals' qualification, and be Saints; but given an all or nothing option, I'll take what's working right now.

Regarding the Sheriff's response: I'm encouraged that he did respond and was very candid in his comments. Even though I disagree with some of what he said, I get where he's coming from and just like most of us feel, if the letter of the law is unclear, we ease back from that. None of us really want to be 'the test case', and very few take even procedural issues to task. I applaud it all though, we are seeing good progress.

Thanks again to everyone willing to even say what they think is right.

Where would you draw the line regarding who could receive a permit?:

(All occupations imply active and retired, without disqualifications)

Sworn police officers
    Judges
    Military
    Constables
    Anyone with a national security clearance
    Sheriffs
    Deputies
    Armored car personnel
    Security employees
    Mayors
    Any elected official
    Teachers and school employees
    Government (State, Fed, County, Municipal) employees
    Business owners
    Anyone who can pass a background check

Any non-violent felon, who has not committed a crime within 5 years
    Anyone who has not committed a felony within the last 5 years
    Anyone (US Citizen implied)

Nice job of putting these in a decent order...

I would go for all in bold... Not sure about the 5-year thing, but I might be persuaded.

EDIT: I would also want to know the [sure to be revised] components of the background check.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I'm going to go with this as the best answer so far, I feel much the same way. When I first joined MSI I was a big training advocate, maybe because I knew I already had enough credentials or could easily pass just about any test 'they' could dream up. But after watching how things really happen, I see that training is more often used to divide us, and even worse to make it even harder or impossible for some to carry. Today I'm ok with the status quo; specifically that one only needs to watch a short, free video to purchase and no training required for a MD CCW permit. After all, as they say, this is already the way it is, and there have been no issues. Never thought I would say that or feel this way; and in a perfect world I would love for everyone (police included) to be able to pass the 'US Air Marshals' qualification, and be Saints; but given an all or nothing option, I'll take what's working right now.

Regarding the Sheriff's response: I'm encouraged that he did respond and was very candid in his comments. Even though I disagree with some of what he said, I get where he's coming from and just like most of us feel, if the letter of the law is unclear, we ease back from that. None of us really want to be 'the test case', and very few take even procedural issues to task. I applaud it all though, we are seeing good progress.

Thanks again to everyone willing to even say what they think is right.

Where would you draw the line regarding who could receive a permit?:

(All occupations imply active and retired, without disqualifications)
    Anyone who can pass a NICS

Fixed it for you. :thumbsup:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Nice job of putting these in a decent order...

I would go for all in bold... Not sure about the 5-year thing, but I might be persuaded.

EDIT: I would also want to know the [sure to be revised] components of the background check.

I'm pretty sure duck hunting over bait is a felony. There are a lot of dumb crimes that should not bar someone from buying/carrying a handgun, but currently do.

rob32

Jul 3, 2011
    salisbury, md
    Maybe I'm just a glass half empty type of guy but I'm not full convinced this fight is all but won, not yet. I would love to see Maryland get with the program and quit denying us our 2nd amendment rights. Hopefully you are correct and we will be a shall issue state sometime soon. Now to answer your question, I have already bought a ruger lcp and become somewhat proficient in it's use. In addition, I have been talking to people I know about guns, 2nd amendment, ect. I've even brought people out shooting with me who have never held a gun before. So far, everyone loves it!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I've even brought people out shooting with me who have never held a gun before. So far, everyone loves it!
    :thumbsup: This is the best way to bring people into our camp. Take them shooting. Most people do find they love it. When you have a gun in your hand, you feel just like Honey Badger, what's not to like?

Afield

Jul 3, 2010
    Rockville, MD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom