• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    The following is the result of long airplane rides and nights in hotels where I had too much time to think. (Please excuse spelling and grammer errors) The following is intended to stimulate forward thinking. I hope that this thread may alleviate some of the off-topic chatter that occurs in other threads. I do not intend to insult or demean anyone or their methods/desires with my examples; they are only used to start minds thinking. I am a firm believer in the Right to self defense. I believe Open Carry and Concealed Carry both have a place in society and that the form of carry should be up to the individual.

Please take the following as the start of the discussions and planning that need to be made as we regain our lost Right to self defense.

May we all make good decisions and follow through with clarity of thought.

-Boxcab

ARE YOU READY FOR OUR RE-FOUND RIGHT?​

The tides are changing, within 24 months I expect some form of “Shall Issue” to be the norm around the country… including Maryland. Once the ruling is handed down, it will not be the end of the story, just the beginning of a new chapter. Are you ready, not to just have the Right to carry, but to deal with all the issues such freedom will bring along with it? There will be growing pains to deal with and there will be knuckle heads that we will need to endure. If the re-found Right extends to not only to concealed carry (CCW), but open carry (OC), are we ready for it? I have experienced both CCW and OC when living in Virginia, Arizona and Florida. I am a fan of both with a preference to CCW when I can, but realize there is a need and preference for OCing at times. The fact is we may be dealing with both.

To start with, we need to be working with our friendly Legislators to prepare for the flood of new laws and restrictions that the Anti’s will try to impose on the re-found Right. The Maryland General Assembly may call an emergency session to deal with what they will consider a “threat to public safety”. How should we prepare for this, what recommendations should we have in place? How can we minimize the damage and avoid years of additional court time to maintain our re-found Right? What laws will be expected and need push back (Gun Free Zones, “No CCW” signs in store windows, Schools, Government buildings, bars and restaurants, etc.). Will your employer allow you to carry?
    At the same time, we need to be ready to help provide guidance to the Law Enforcement community. New guidelines will be needed and a plethora of new issues will need to be dealt with. These are the front line people that will be the first to deal with CCW and/or OCing. What can we do to make the transition safe for everyone? We need to pre-position ourselves to avoid problems. A series of open meetings where leaders of the Law Enforcement and Maryland’s 2nd Amendment community (MSI, AGC, etc?) should be planned in an effort to develop common ground concerning our re-found Right.

The public will be our next area of concern. How will you personally deal with a “freaked out” citizen (walk away, try to educate or run)? If stores put up the “No CCW” signs, how will you react? How about restaurants, bars and other places serving alcohol? Will you have a lock box in each of your cars to secure your gun when you enter a “Gun Free Zone”? Will your spouse, significant-other, date, parents and children know how to address these situations? Co-workers, employers and customers need to be considered. Will the gun community create its own Legal Team to proactively fight for, and/or counter the coming legal battles?

Then there will be the idiots. You know, the people that have problems making a decision that YOU agree with? How will you handle the OC’er? How about the guy with a 500 caliber, 14-inch barreled, gold plated pistol strapped to one side and a half-dozen matching 33-round magazines on the other… will you defend his Right or will you condemn him? The possibilities are endless, just look at the decisions made by your fellow drivers during your morning commute. The guy driving with his knees, as he reads the morning paper held up by the steering wheel, has a cup of Joe in one hand and a brown-sugar Pop-Tart in the other… what decisions would he make concerning CCW or OCing? How will you handle the resulting situations caused by similar decision making while carrying a gun?

Within the first few months of being able to exercise our re-found freedom, someone will pull a trigger. It may be in self defense, it may be by accident or it may be during a moment of incredible stupidity. The fact is each pull of the trigger will reflect on all of us. How will you react? How should WE as a community react? Florida, Virginia and Arizona have all had a few. For some reason I believe Maryland will lead the pack, probably due to the lack of experience with guns by the general population. 90% of the people credit their entire gun handling experiences to Television and the Movies.

So, we need to start having a dialog about what our future holds, and how we will handle our re-found Right. The good and the bad, as there will be both. We cannot just sit back a “see what happens”. If we do, the knee-jerk reactions of the Anti’s will overwhelm us and we will spend the next 10 years fighting to retain our Right. We need to be proactive and start working with our Legislators and Law Enforcement officials to avoid needless delays and lawsuits. Yes, the Anti’s will fight to gut the 2nd Amendment in new ways, but if we keep the momentum up and not fall back to the lackadaisical attitudes that cost us our Right in the first place, life with our re-found 2nd Amendment Right will be much easier.

Comments and thoughts...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Im speechless and thankful for gentlemen such as yourself who are leading this fight. You said everything that needed to be said.

Thankyou Boxcab.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    You make a lot of valid points and ask some very pertinent questions! It really is such a bigger question as to whether we can carry or not. Wow! Lots to ponder! Thankyou!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Lots of the crap that was legislated in during the late 80s/early 90s was due to the drug wars being fought in the streets of the US. Trying to stop that was like holding back the tide. Unfortunately, such legislation was passed thanks to those in the news media and we lost quite a bit of ground to people like the Bradys. The murders of the Kennedys helped pass the legislation in 1968, and the Booze wars during Prohibition helped in the original gun control act's passage. Scared people do irrational things. Unfortunately, those who were in power when these bills were passed saw an opportunity and took it. Now that things are swinging our way, we need to not only push through the court system, but also through legislation. The only way Maryland will have a really viable CCW is getting those in power who will not pass the necessary legislation out and people who will in. Get the pro-gun people you know to vote!!!

Jim

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Excellent work. Being proactive is certainly better than needing to be reactive when it all comes down. With that in mind, from time to time I work pretty closely with St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office on training events. I'm going to get in touch with my POC there and see if he'd to talk to the Sheriff and get a feel for his willingness to come out and talk to a group of us here in the county. Not at all to put him on the spot, but to generate the thought process in his mind on what he is going to do when this comes to pass. If he were to start training his officers now, it may not be such a cluster when it all comes down. The hard part will be convincing him to do so when there is no assurance that this will come to pass. Maybe we could schedule him to come to Sanner's Lake and spend an hour with us to discuss.
    Also, I think I'll put together a list of local business establishments and see what I can find out via their corporate web sites or calling corporate offices to determine which do and don't support/allow carry in their establishments.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    In my own ponderings with myself, I had pretty much decided that, once carry is re-allowed, a lockbox would be a necessity, however unfortunate I find that to be. I have been hesitant with my desire for easy access to ccw/oc, not because of crime but the stupidity of many of my fellow Americans. I want it so badly for myself, my family and those of us who are responsible enough to treat it with the caution it demands while wanting to keep the idiots out. However, I have decided that this is not the correct way for me to feel. Who am I to tell a fellow American that they are not allowed the same right that I so desire to be able allowed myself? I have come into this fight very late but hope that I am able to do what I can to help win it and maintain my re-found right with the dignity and reverence that it deserves. I cannot give enough thanks to all of the people that have been fighting for this cause for so long to allow me the hope that I now can feel in my heart.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    Boxcab, thanks for your continued diligence.

I see a good 5 or 6 topics/threads that could be created right now, to discuss future concerns.

Anyone want to take a stab at making a list, then prioritizing the most urgent issues, versus the peripheral issues?

We aren't the first to go throguh this transition, we can probably learn quite a bit from our fellow Virginians, and any wisdom they can impart having gone through this recently.
    I do know that FFX police acted hostile toward CCW and OC, and pretty much responded in a harrassing manner to any and all "man with a gun" calls they received.
    It took VCDL a while to get the situation under control. I would have to imagine MSI would play that role here in MD, becuase if they did not, who would?

So, I'll offer that one of the most immediate concerns/topics will be protecting all of the new permit holders from harassing situations. Some legal advice how the individual would deal with this type of situation might be a good start.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Great post!!!

Good thoughts on getting some of the more heinous issues pre-addressed. I'd hate to get Shall-Issue, then get thrown in the pokey for "brandishing" because I printed while tying my shoe.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    This is going to be a challenge for both Maryland Shooters in general and MSI. MSI will have to introduce stances on these issues, and how will we handle people who don't agree with the stances?

Good post Boxcab.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Boxcab, thanks for your continued diligence.

I see a good 5 or 6 topics/threads that could be created right now, to discuss future concerns.

Anyone want to take a stab at making a list, then prioritizing the most urgent issues, versus the peripheral issues?

We aren't the first to go throguh this transition, we can probably learn quite a bit from our fellow Virginians, and any wisdom they can impart having gone through this recently.
    I do know that FFX police acted hostile toward CCW and OC, and pretty much responded in a harrassing manner to any and all "man with a gun" calls they received.
    It took VCDL a while to get the situation under control. I would have to imagine MSI would play that role here in MD, becuase if they did not, who would?

So, I'll offer that one of the most immediate concerns/topics will be protecting all of the new permit holders from harassing situations. Some legal advice how the individual would deal with this type of situation might be a good start.

It would be nice if we could find some folks from close by states that were originally against CCW and were involved in the harassments, but later changed their minds based on the lack of problems.

Then facilitate some meetings for both the LEO community and Legislative to talk to some of these folks who thought the same way and can tell them that "Yes, I was really surprised, but there was no blood in the streets, etc.."

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    There needs to be stiff penalties imposed or introduced by us, the pro 2A citizens, for those that either abuse the right/priviledge or make stupid choices. We need to show that as a community, we are just as supportive of the proper punishment of those that violate the right/law as we are supporting the movement to get our right back. As crazy as this sounds, one accidental discharge and your right is revoked, unless it can be proven that it is not the fault of the gun owner.

After readin this, I am opptimistic that MD will get some type of carry restored for the general, law abiding public, but here is my next thought. What will happen when after 2, 3, 5, 10 years, the right is once again withdrawn? Will the great mass of carrying public continue anyway? Will be all just throw our hand up and say "oh, well!"? How do you deal with that?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    This is going to be a challenge for both Maryland Shooters in general and MSI. MSI will have to introduce stances on these issues, and how will we handle people who don't agree with the stances?

Not Really!

Best to stay out of that arena for a while, and leave it up to personal preference.

People will figure out what is best for them, and we all should be more "tolerant" of personal choice.

Who cares, if I choose to OC a Draco in a cordless drill holster; or CC a BFR when I'm feeling spunky. :)

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    "The tides are changing, within 24 months I expect some form of “Shall Issue” to be the norm around the country… including Maryland."

24 months from now MOM will still be governor. Whatever you are smoking, I want some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom