Are dealers ripping us off on transfer fees?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    As a consumer I'm a little lost here. I see a lot of folks connected to the FFL Business complaining about making money?

Take an average of $50 a Transfer, do on average of four a day for a five day Week, if my math is right thats an extra $52,000 a year plus on an average markup of Md. Compliant Locks add an extra $15,000 profit for a total of $67,000 in income outside of your normal sale of in-stock inventory? This does not even factor Ammunition sale for the Weapon, possible cost to check the Head-space and maybe a training session and Range fees if you have one.

The guy/gal has now paid you more for the transfer than the cost of the weapon and you now feel he does not have the right to ask other consumers if he was had? Shame.

All I see is complaints of overhead, storage, paperwork, etc. Have one of your employees do the paperwork it will pay his Salary for the year.

I see the terms Supply and Demand and what the Market will bear being thrown around, to a consumer those are intangible terms that do not relate to workload, but relate to the Consumer as you are going to suck as much money as possible out of me.

If a dealership is doing Transfers, it's for one reason, it's a quick money maker. These $100 Transfers in my opinion are meant in hopes of snagging a certain number of uninformed buyers. As for the complaining after the fact I see a guy or gal new to having a transfer done who paid the $100 + $10 + $35 + 6% sales tax. and later found that this was not the Industry norm and now has a bad taste in his/her mouth.

I see him/her as a potential new Customer that is now shopping a new Dealership where he/she will be throwing their money.

Just my opinion as a consumer,

Eddie O

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So to answer my question, there are no charges from MSP.

Business license is less than $200 per year btw. Trivial to even add that into your list. Many of the items you list are also incidental costs to the shop whether they do transfers or not. Some do not even pertain to transfers. Bank loan to do transfers? Really?

Give me a break. Transfers are services that are damn near all profit. At the absolute MOST, a transfer MIGHT cost $20 to the business. Claiming high transfer fees are "necessary" is a joke. We all know not charging $75 per transfer and still being profitable by a wide margin is possible because many shops do it! Almost all shops outside of MD do it, and many inside MD don't charge nearly that! But in MD, because the checks are done by MSP and not through NICS, some shops claim it is oooo sooooo burdensome so they have to claim an exorbitant fee.

I know, I know, go open my shop. Standard reply. Instead, I moved to a free state and patron a shop with $20 transfers, in stock primers and powders for the regulars, and no ******** excuses.

You have to amortize all expenses across ALL activities.

And if the $200 is such a small fee, why not pay it for the shop owner? :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    to answer the OP's question: it's an unequivocal yes.

I have had guns transferred to me in multiple states (active duty .mil) and it is muuuuch less elsewhere. I am in VA right now, and the local gun store will do a transfer for $15.

But in VA, they do not have to store guns for 90+ days like in MD.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As I have mentioned, some shops have jacked their prices, and others have not.

For those who have not jacked their prices, do they not have the same costs involved with doing business? Do they not need to store the guns?

I have NO issue with a business charging what they need to make money, BT, DT. BUT when prices get raised a LOT, immediately, while others do not, you have to wonder.

You can do whatever you want as a business. But, I will shop around and deal with places that charge more reasonable prices.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    I still have a difficult time understanding these whining threads. The FFLs are in business to make money. The one I choose to use is small and not the cheapest, but I know if I had an emergency I could go to them for assistance, and I get treated well, so it is worth a few extra bucks.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    As a consumer I'm a little lost here. I see a lot of folks connected to the FFL Business complaining about making money?

Take an average of $50 a Transfer, do on average of four a day for a five day Week, if my math is right thats an extra $52,000 a year plus on an average markup of Md. Compliant Locks add an extra $15,000 profit for a total of $67,000 in income outside of your normal sale of in-stock inventory? This does not even factor Ammunition sale for the Weapon, possible cost to check the Head-space and maybe a training session and Range fees if you have one.

The guy/gal has now paid you more for the transfer than the cost of the weapon and you now feel he does not have the right to ask other consumers if he was had? Shame.

All I see is complaints of overhead, storage, paperwork, etc. Have one of your employees do the paperwork it will pay his Salary for the year.

I see the terms Supply and Demand and what the Market will bear being thrown around, to a consumer those are intangible terms that do not relate to workload, but relate to the Consumer as you are going to suck as much money as possible out of me.

If a dealership is doing Transfers, it's for one reason, it's a quick money maker. These $100 Transfers in my opinion are meant in hopes of snagging a certain number of uninformed buyers. As for the complaining after the fact I see a guy or gal new to having a transfer done who paid the $100 + $10 + $35 + 6% sales tax. and later found that this was not the Industry norm and now has a bad taste in his/her mouth.

I see him/her as a potential new Customer that is now shopping a new Dealership where he/she will be throwing their money.

Just my opinion as a consumer,

Eddie O

:thumbsup:

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    More to consider.

In this thread someone mentioned that there are some shops that only do transfers. Are they the ones that charge less? I have no idea, but if they don't have inventory that they have to pay for and employees that they need to pay I imagine they can charge less.

Most of the people on this forum are not first time buyers. Most of you probably don't need help filling out the paperwork. There are plenty of first time buyers that have no idea how to fill out the paperwork and need help on each form. It takes time to help these people. Time that a salesperson could be hopefully selling a gun from inventory. And there are plenty of people that have filled out the forms many times and still need lot's of help.

babalooie21204

Aug 13, 2012
    Columbia
    MY 2cents:

I have no problem with dealers charging and making a profit, it is what it is and heck I'd do the same. However, I do have a few qualms some of which is 100% NOT the FFL's fault. Some its just business. I'd like to state I've purchased several times locally and several times online.

1) As stated above many local dealers may not have the model in stock and cannot provide an estimate to get one, I go buy online (Oct 1)
    2) Not a fault of the FFL's: Example, I've been searching for a Glock 17. I go into 3 shops, all empty. Two shops carry the gun but are priced at 610$ and 619$. Gunbroker I can have them shipped to the FFL for 490-500$ any day of the week. Yes, I understand overhead.
    3) I have issues with the dealers charging $35/$50+ dollars (2 shops in mind) for a spent shell casing (So I make sure before I buy any gun online it has one supplied, most out of state FFL's on Gunbroker provide it for 5-15$, if it isn't already supplied by the manufacturer.
    4) Yes, some shops realease after 8 days and some hold until the MSP can't avoid not doing their jobs anymore. Honestly, I have guns at multiple shops right now. Some bought at FFL's and some purchased and shipped online. Right now, I am ONLY shopping/tranfering guns at shops that release after 8days. Heck if you are going to pay 60$ for a shop that doesn't transfer after 8 days, might as well pay 100$ to get it in a week. That IMO, is the ONLY reason why shops can justify charging more, its kinda like Ez-pass. Gotta pay to play and waiting in line SUCKS.
    5) I'm not a huge fan of the FFL's that require you to purchase the lock at $25+ dollars (when I'm pretty sure we all have multiples of the same lock). Again this is up to the buyer, I only go to shops that allow me to supply the lock.

6) Chads work is $MONEY$. Seriously though, I cannot afford that AK. Hard to find good gunsmiths, but everyone is welcome to give me a try at 1/2 the price of Chad and watch me HACK your stuff up, then just maybe Chad can fix it :). LMAO. **** PLEASE NOTE: I was joking, I'm not skilled or even have the tools to be a gunsmith... I was JOKING**** :)

OK, I'm done.

Last edited:

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    I can agree with 90% of your observations, however there are many very good Gunsmiths in Maryland very few are HACKS, many post no cost suggestions for fixes on this and other Boards. Most guns sent to a Gunsmith for repairs center around feed problems. Many are simple user maintenance problems, weak springs, broken or worn extractors, a feed ramp that needs to be polished, a bent lip on a Mag, etc.

Now if those few dollar fixes don't work it's time for a Gunsmith, Hell I've seen Md. Shooters Gunsmiths at Delta and other shoots helping other members, no cost, to identify a problem.

Now if you want to alter your 1911 to fire .22's, or do a Red Jacket makeover, (God only knows why) you will need a high dollar Gunsmith which many members profess Chad to be. Hell if I wanted my AK to go Select Fire rather than just buy one I might even look up Chad.

Don't sell yourself or the many Md. Gunsmiths short, hell even I as a Lay person have purchased Fix-Er-Ups, Identified broken or missing parts, found them on the net and Hacked together a functional Weapon.

If you can break down your gun to clean it you should be able to inspect and correct these problems yourself. Self sufficiency may become a necessity in uncertain times.

Next time you have a problem with a weapon Post it, I can guarantee at least a dozen competent responses for a fix, possibly even from Chad. Yes I poke Chad sometimes when he gets personal about my profession, but take nothing away from him as a Gunsmith.

Eddie O ;)

MY 2cents:

I have no problem with dealers charging and making a profit, it is what it is and heck I'd do the same. However, I do have a few qualms some of which is 100% NOT the FFL's fault. Some its just business. I'd like to state I've purchased several times locally and several times online.

1) As stated above many local dealers may not have the model in stock and cannot provide an estimate to get one, I go buy online (Oct 1)
    2) Not a fault of the FFL's: Example, I've been searching for a Glock 17. I go into 3 shops, all empty. Two shops carry the gun but are priced at 610$ and 619$. Gunbroker I can have them shipped to the FFL for 490-500$ any day of the week. Yes, I understand overhead.
    3) I have issues with the dealers charging $35/$50+ dollars (2 shops in mind) for a spent shell casing (So I make sure before I buy any gun online it has one supplied, most out of state FFL's on Gunbroker provide it for 5-15$, if it isn't already supplied by the manufacturer.
    4) Yes, some shops realease after 8 days and some hold until the MSP can't avoid not doing their jobs anymore. Honestly, I have guns at multiple shops right now. Some bought at FFL's and some purchased and shipped online. Right now, I am ONLY shopping/tranfering guns at shops that release after 8days. Heck if you are going to pay 60$ for a shop that doesn't transfer after 8 days, might as well pay 100$ to get it in a week. That IMO, is the ONLY reason why shops can justify charging more, its kinda like Ez-pass. Gotta pay to play and waiting in line SUCKS.
    5) I'm not a huge fan of the FFL's that require you to purchase the lock at $25+ dollars (when I'm pretty sure we all have multiples of the same lock). Again this is up to the buyer, I only go to shops that allow me to supply the lock.

6) Chads work is $MONEY$. Seriously though, I cannot afford that AK. Hard to find good gunsmiths, but everyone is welcome to give me a try at 1/2 the price of Chad and watch me HACK your stuff up. LMAO.

OK, I'm done.

babalooie21204

Aug 13, 2012
    Columbia
    I have used Cooter's to transfer in the past. I recommend him as a very reliable and professional FFL to anyone, especially those in the Harford/Cecil county area!

I've used Curtis also in the past. Stand up guy. I'm not sure of his release policy at the moment though... ALso gives me an excelent reason to stop at Texas Roadhouse :)

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    What happens to them anyway? Keep for personal use? Ebay?

It depends on the dealer... a good one will help you ship them out of state if you have someone willing to receive them. If you don't, they really have no choice but to keep them.

A lot of rifles ordered for stock (ARs, AKs) come with the magazines. The FFL pays for them so they can keep them fo their own use, or as you said sell them on gunbroker/eBay or at gun shows out of state. Many distributors won't send guns with hicap mags to MD, and even if you ask they won't pull it/them from the box!

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

miben

Sep 29, 2007
    NC formerly Eldersburg MD
    But in VA, they do not have to store guns for 90+ days like in MD
    They do not have to hold the guns in MD either. The dealers can simply submit the paperwork to MSP and the owner can transfer after 7 days. The transfer does not require that the dealer enter into their book. The only reason they hold the gun is to justify the charges.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    They do not have to hold the guns in MD either. The dealers can simply submit the paperwork to MSP and the owner can transfer after 7 days. The transfer does not require that the dealer enter into their book. The only reason they hold the gun is to justify the charges.

Well, that's a lot of conjecture. You must be new to buying guns. MANY dealers are wary of the law, and don't understand it. They "cover their butts" by being a little more restrictive at their own discretion. If you don't like it, don't shop there.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    These whining threads are getting old. For those throwing around the terms ' profiteering' and 'price gouging', spend a few minutes to look up their real definition. Gun smithing and gun services don't fall within the context.

Let's keep in mind a few things:

1. In business law, the dealer is the Offeror, the customer is the Offeree. The customer ACCEPTS the dealers price offer. If you don't like it, make a counteroffer or go elsewhere.
    2. You can't have the cheapest price and the best service. Pick one
    3. As stated multiple times, shop around and KNOW the deal beforehand. There's no one holding a gun to your head forcing you to do business with them
    4. Stop whining

Beemerguy

Oct 6, 2012
    These whining threads are getting old. For those throwing around the terms ' profiteering' and 'price gouging', spend a few minutes to look up their real definition. Gun smithing and gun services don't fall within the context.

Let's keep in mind a few things:

1. In business law, the dealer is the Offeror, the customer is the Offeree. The customer ACCEPTS the dealers price offer. If you don't like it, make a counteroffer or go elsewhere.
    2. You can't have the cheapest price and the best service. Pick one
    3. As stated multiple times, shop around and KNOW the deal beforehand. There's no one holding a gun to your head forcing you to do business with them
    4. Stop whining

I'm not sure whom you're referring to, but I suggest you go back and read my initial post on this thread.

I never used the term "profiteering", but I did use the term "gouging", and I stand by that term in the specific situation I described. (My local dealer has not bought any new safes, and has not experienced any increase in the cost of handling transfers. They raised the price of a transfer -- significantly -- simply because they can.)

Furthermore, while one of my reasons for starting the thread was to point out what I consider to be an unwarranted increase in transfer fees, I also asked if someone could recommend a dealer who would handle a handgun transfer without gouging. Several posters made excellent suggestions, and I got several Private Messages as well.

I agree with you: If you don't like the price of something, shop around for a better deal. That's exactly what I did with this thread. Why do you have a problem with that?

And while you're suggesting that others look up the real definition of a given word, you might to follow that advice yourself: Nothing on here that I or anyone else has posted meets the definition of "whining"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom