Are dealers ripping us off on transfer fees?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Just went thru the Index of FFL/dealers in Maryland...about 140 or so.....
    Since the original topic was/is Transfer Fees......the following is offered as food for thought.
    This is only "Regulated Handguns"......
    Lowest price found, $25.00, Highest price found, $100.00, and lots at $45.00 to $60.00

Lowest prices generally found in Western sections, "middle of the road prices" found in So. Maryland and Eastern Shore, Highest prices found along the I-95 corridor, with a few exceptions. The other fees(MSP, long guns, etc) are close across the State, with
    a few exceptions.....and a few do charge Sales tax on "out of state" guns. (remember, legally it is a "Sales and Use Tax", if you bring a commodity into this State, sales and use tax can be collected.

The index has about 140 "dealers" listing transfer prices. There are about 25 or so Dealers in the "IP Section" of this forum. If you check you can see where they are located, and if they list their prices.

Make informed decisions.

R

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    TO CHAD

I have not read through this whole thread, but from the short time I have known and spoken with you, having dabbled in guns for over 40+years myself, you in no way have to DEFEND yourself. I am quite SURE you have enough satisfied customers on here, and elsewhere that can vouch for that with pleasure and would freely do so.

One thing that I appreciate and admire, is that you always have time to answer a question of mine honestly, and with no self serving purpose or motive behind it. This is CUSTOMER SERVICE, whether in person or online. Being older, that is what I look for and expect from an expert, but, most do not realize this, or are unable to provide this. That is why when I first spoke with you, I thought you were older than you are. You just have OLD FASHIONED VALUES, which are difficult to find. I live a looong distance from you , and have not been down yet, but I will. But even though I haven't, you do not treat me any different than a repeat customer.

Of course I can offer an opinion on ANYTHING :-), but this one I will refrain from. I am quite happy with my local FFL transfer fee's, so no need to get into this mess.

I like to think that my time in working with the public 40 years, over 30 in sales, qualifies me as somewhat of an expert in customer service. Now a days, most of it SUCKS...there is such high turn around in just about all business's, and salesman ( and I had been one for many many years, ) do not have the knowledge and experience they once had. Most will just shoot some BS to try and look good and make a sale. I used to look forward to going to Lowe's or Home Depot, and talking to a retired electrician or plumber for advice. But today, no more. Can't find them any more. They aren't looking to get rich, but most do not want to work for the shit pay these big companies offer any more, or the work load, expecting 50 hrs work in 35 hrs time for 20 hrs pay. The working man in America has been F _ C _ E D O V E R by big business and greedy corporate individuals/companies. Free enterprise and democracy are still the best systems available, but, in no way are they perfect. Something about buying a business, chopping it up, selling it off and firing a bunch of people who have worked there their whole life does not sit right with me. Just so a few can get a fat paycheck.

At one time, you could honestly earn $50-70K selling mattresses, or $50-80K selling cars, or $50-100K selling furniture. TODAY...no more..your lucky to make $20-30K in most of these fields now. All you had to do was be willing to work hard and long hours. It still pisses me off that kids do not say the Pledge of Allegiance in school anymore.

Hahahaha maybe I am just getting old, and off topic, but I remember a different time. But one thing is certain, a GOOD gunsmith to me, is like a good mechanic, very difficult to find: when you do find a GOOD, HONEST and TRUST WORTHY one, stick with em!!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    TO CHAD

I have not read through this whole thread, but from the short time I have known and spoken with you, having dabbled in guns for over 40+years myself, you in no way have to DEFEND yourself. I am quite SURE you have enough satisfied customers on here, and elsewhere that can vouch for that with pleasure and would freely do so.

One thing that I appreciate and admire, is that you always have time to answer a question of mine honestly, and with no self serving purpose or motive behind it. This is CUSTOMER SERVICE, whether in person or online. Being older, that is what I look for and expect from an expert, but, most do not realize this, or are unable to provide this. That is why when I first spoke with you, I thought you were older than you are. You just have OLD FASHIONED VALUES, which are difficult to find. I live a looong distance from you , and have not been down yet, but I will. But even though I haven't, you do not treat me any different than a repeat customer.

Of course I can offer an opinion on ANYTHING :-), but this one I will refrain from. I am quite happy with my local FFL transfer fee's, so no need to get into this mess.

I like to think that my time in working with the public 40 years, over 30 in sales, qualifies me as somewhat of an expert in customer service. Now a days, most of it SUCKS...there is such high turn around in just about all business's, and salesman ( and I had been one for many many years, ) do not have the knowledge and experience they once had. Most will just shoot some BS to try and look good and make a sale. I used to look forward to going to Lowe's or Home Depot, and talking to a retired electrician or plumber for advice. But today, no more. Can't find them any more. They aren't looking to get rich, but most do not want to work for the shit pay these big companies offer any more, or the work load, expecting 50 hrs work in 35 hrs time for 20 hrs pay. The working man in America has been F _ C _ E D O V E R by big business and greedy corporate individuals/companies. Free enterprise and democracy are still the best systems available, but, in no way are they perfect. Something about buying a business, chopping it up, selling it off and firing a bunch of people who have worked there their whole life does not sit right with me. Just so a few can get a fat paycheck.

At one time, you could honestly earn $50-70K selling mattresses, or $50-80K selling cars, or $50-100K selling furniture. TODAY...no more..your lucky to make $20-30K in most of these fields now. All you had to do was be willing to work hard and long hours. It still pisses me off that kids do not say the Pledge of Allegiance in school anymore.

Hahahaha maybe I am just getting old, and off topic, but I remember a different time. But one thing is certain, a GOOD gunsmith to me, is like a good mechanic, very difficult to find: when you do find a GOOD, HONEST and TRUST WORTHY one, stick with em!!

That means a lot to me Johnny. Thank you for taking the time to post. Im glad I was able to help whenever you needed me. Ill help whoever I can if its a firearm Im well versed on, even if that person never plans to use my service. My advice I give here is the same I would give my closest friend or children.

I have been told before about my Old Fashioned ways and in no way to I take that in a negative light.

Very good summary about earnings in modern day life. Its definately hard to support a family.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    And since I got off topic for a moment with my previous comment...:-) I do have a little to say on this topic.

Yes , dealers, like every small business is in it to make a profit and get ahead. But like any business out there, there are good ones, bad ones, indifferent ones, mediocre ones, and middle of the road ones ( or is that the same as mediocre :-).

And yes, they CAN charge what ever they want. Does this make it right...well, in my book NO. There are plenty of black and white rules, but, the world does not run that way. Nor has it ever. You will find that the BEST businesses usually are different from the rest. And they innovate, introduce new philosophies all the time, That is what makes them, different, better, excel.

But for me, it is what you EXPECT out of the business you are going to deal with.

A GOOD dealer is for me of course: 1.) going to charge a fair price ( this is subjective of course, hence 20 different opinions on here, you have to decide this yourself ) is going to be 2.) honest in their dealings, 3.) be sincere in their knowledge and experience; and tell you when they do NOT know something or have no experience in that matter, 4.) is going to offer excellent customer service, which is partially being honest and sincere, fair priced, friendly, and professional, and maybe, refer you somewhere else!

Not all dealers offer this, not all believe in this, and not all want to try and practice this. Over many, many years, I have heard plenty a salesman at a dealer lie, and bs a newbie customer, and tell them what they THINK they want to hear, or what sounds good, and many have an EGO that does not allow them to admit they do not have the answer, or will take the time to find out for them.

But, this is not limited to just gun dealers. I have seen this with electronic salesman, appliance, furniture, DOCTOR'S LAWYER'S, DENTIST's, car dealers, and just about every business I have gone to.

Dealers have a very tough road in Md. This state is obviously not firearm friendly, but it was NEVER like it is today. IT is terrible.

But why is everyone attacking each other just for their beliefs. When I was young, there wasnt't a fight I WOULDN'T get involved in. But after a while, a friend- co worker offered this advice, which of course, he did not invent, but lived by: DO NOT get into an argument with an A_SHOLE, as others, may not be able to tell the difference.

Pretty good advice when I follow it. :-)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    There are a lot of people who want services for nothing or well below market value. I can't understand their thinking. I can't tell you how many people call my office and leave messages like "I am having a lot of issues and want you to call me to see if we can get to the bottom of them". They get mad when the answer is "make an appointment". Too bad. If I put 20 minutes into solving your complex medical problems on the phone, I don't get paid for that. I also don't get home to my family until later. Not to say I don't call people back about issues, I do all the time. If people provide a service they deserve to be paid. They also deserve to be paid a fair price. The market determines what that is.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    There are a lot of people who want services for nothing or well below market value. I can't understand their thinking. I can't tell you how many people call my office and leave messages like "I am having a lot of issues and want you to call me to see if we can get to the bottom of them". They get mad when the answer is "make an appointment". Too bad. If I put 20 minutes into solving your complex medical problems on the phone, I don't get paid for that. I also don't get home to my family until later. Not to say I don't call people back about issues, I do all the time. If people provide a service they deserve to be paid. They also deserve to be paid a fair price. The market determines what that is.

:party29:

Man has to feed his family and spend time with them. I like to see you FTF for 2 reasons. 1) I like you ;) and 2) Its your business and your darn good at it.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    First question, for anyone.

What is the difference between NEW POST ( no wc ) and just NEW POSTS ?

and 2. TERRATOS....what.....just what makes your hair amazing, I just want to know?

:-)

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    First question, for anyone.

What is the difference between NEW POST ( no wc ) and just NEW POSTS ?

and 2. TERRATOS....what.....just what makes your hair amazing, I just want to know?

:-)

Non-WC does not include Water Closet posts, for those that choose not to visit the Water Closet (WC, Brit parlance for the head/John/shitter/insert favorite term here).

Oh, and I had to become a patient to understand the mystique of The Hair (tm)...

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Nor do they have two sets of paperwork to complete for a handgun, right?

True. No one has to be walked through the training requirement process either.

This thread is interesting... as I straddle the line of being a gunsmith (who has handled transfers and maintaining bound books), and a consumer now. I now walk up to a counter and buy my guns like most here...

I understand how everyone is frustrated over what's going on... but IMO shops charging a little more is almost like overtime pay. It's an extra burden to handle transfers at this crazy time, and something that (I feel) is temporary.

Who knows what the future will look like in terms of transfers in the future? I'll bet some distributors (and many smaller FFLs) will soon adopt a "no gun sales to Maryland resident" type policy, so it's hard to see if the price will go up or down, but I feel it may drop back down a bit.

One thing is for sure is that people in Maryland MUST support the shops that went to Annapolis, are members of the MLFDA and other organizations, and otherwise have your backs. We all know there are plenty of shops thay don't really deserve your business because they're out for themselves.

Now I may be biased because of my connection to a certain IP, but I will say this; no one knows what it's like to be behind that counter until you're there. It's not as simple as just buying more bound books, sitting back and watching customers roll in the door to fill your coffers. Distributors and manufacturers are still struggling to fill orders on popular models, and other factors such as panic buying have depleted their inventories.

Dealers are in a unique position because we are FORCED to buy guns from them. They are the automatic middleman, and when times get tough for him he's going to charge for it. Customers have increased demand dramatically, and the supply of the time and energy FFLs have to deal with said demand PLUS the MSP is growing shorter all the time.

No one is telling you that you have to buy a gun now. If you're pissed about paying more on a transfer, turn that frown upside down! Why so serious? If you're buying from an IP or other shop who engaged in the fight, you can think of it as funding their efforts to stay afloat so they may provide good service to you in the future.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    :party29:

Man has to feed his family and spend time with them. I like to see you FTF for 2 reasons. 1) I like you ;) and 2) Its your business and your darn good at it.

I get to ask you questions via text/e-mail. I have no problem with you doing the same. I have no problem with friends doing that. I do appreciate your kind words.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    TO TERATOS

Well, I guess if I start losing my hair, that would be the time to come look you up! :-)

Only thing is, the men in my family all die with a FULL HEAD OF HAIR....they just don't live real long, past 69yrs old. hahahahaha

Sirex