• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheCrow

Jun 22, 2011
    Granite, MD
    Done, my note.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I hope that the Maryland government will take common sense approaches to the issues we face as a State.

Taxes should not be increased until the state can get it's spending under control and promote proper accountability.

The death sentence should stay for it's the only thing keeping correction workers safe from "nothing to lose" violent inmates. It also keeps murderers from ever being released, if life without parole was the highest punishment many would end up pleading for life with parole. Keep the death penalty as a deterrent for criminals and tool for the prosecution.

As a gun owner and father I am appalled by the senseless acts of the depraved and mentally ill that we have seen recently in the media. We must be vigilant so that guns do not end up in the hands of the psychotic or criminal. With liberty comes responsibility. Maryland firearm laws are already some of the tightest in the country. Penalizing law abiding gun owners emboldens criminals who by their nature do not obey the law. Increase the punishment for the possession of illegal guns and guns used in crimes. Please enforce the laws we already have before we jump to enact new ones that will not address the root cause of violence in our society. Please look at what we can do to ensure that firearms are not obtained by criminals or the mentally ill, but realize that most use illegal avenues to obtain these weapons for their heinous acts. Help educate the public on proper firearm safety and security.

Remember, only the lawful obey the law.

Thank you for your consideration,

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Done. My response:

Senator Miller,
    I want to thank you for providing me an opportunity to share my thoughts on some issues we are facing in Maryland. While I share the same concerns that many others have about mass shootings, SB0281 does absolutely nothing to lessen those types of events from occurring and I urge you to oppose this. Criminals do not care about what laws are on the books. Banning certain types of firearms or reducing magazine capacities will have no effect on a criminal, only on law abiding responsible gun owners, such as myself. Statistics show that states that have lesser gun controls than Maryland have a lower rate of gun violence. As such, I would encourage you to support bills like HB211 which allows law abiding citizens to protect themselves while in public and potentially prevent the types of things you want to stop.

Again, I thank you for this opportunity.

Sincerely, MXRider

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    Done.

In my response I asked only that he legislate using facts and the Constutions of the State and USA, and not emotions and knee jerk "we have to do something" reactions

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    completed

Dear Senator Miller,

let me first thank you for your continued services to the state of Maryland.
    We are currently on a trajectory where we make criminals out of law abiding, tax paying citizens in the state of Maryland, reduce penalties for convicted criminals, increase the budget automatically beyond anybody's raises they received last year and yet still look for additional revenue from the citizenry to finance roads and alternative energy build-out with no break-even point in sight. I do not believe that any of these issues should be looked at separately. This state is on a trajectory to be too restrictive and too expensive for anybody to call their home.

I truly urge you to use the power of your office to soften the burden placed on upstanding citizens of the state of Maryland. We do not need any new laws restricting our liberties and we do not need ANY increased revenue for the state after the largest budget increase in state history.

Law abiding citizens and gun owners are not responsible for the horrendous crimes committed by clearly disturbed individuals. Just like the majority of drivers are not responsible for accidents caused by drunk drivers.

Sincerely yours,

david2260

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Ocean View DE
    Thanks for pointing this out. Not only did I fill out the survey, I wrote a personal e-mail (respectful, of course) to Senator Mike Miller's e-mail address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom