• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    I just received an e-mail from AGC with a link to a survey the Senate President, Mike Miller, is running to gather opinions. I urge everybody to fill it out, especially the portions regarding handgun permits, "assault weapons," and magazine capacity. Mike is not a lost cause, and his intervention has benefited us in the past, such as when he played a role in preventing the amended HB 579 from reaching the Senate floor at all last year.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDJYSnBJYzJPWGNfN0hZWUhMeGF6S0E6MQ#gid=0

Adding a note at the end can't hurt. As Norton pointed out downthread, it is crucially important to be respectful in your comments to the Senator who directs committee appointments and presides over the Senate, and who's been sympathetic to us before. We are not writing to an enemy. Here's my comment:

Yours truly said:
    Lawful, stable gun owners are not the ones causing the tragedies we keep reading about in the news. Gang activity, drug addiction, and untreated mental illness are the problems we need to address, and I believe the answer is to create progressive legislation that will improve education and opportunities for urban children, replace the destructive War on Drugs with an uplifting War on Addiction, and make mental health treatment accessible, affordable, and confidential. The benefits will extend far beyond reducing gun violence, and will make Maryland a safer, better place to live. I thank you for your continued service, and I hope that you will use your powerful seat to help make Maryland a leader in education, health, and civil liberties.

Last edited:

shiloh228

Dec 25, 2012
    Ballmer County
    Done. My message:
    I hope you will reject any infringement on citizens' right to bear and keep arms. Arbitrary restrictions on gun ownership based on irrelevant factors such as cosmetic appearance and capacity of magazines are ludicrous. I would hope that legislators with a modicum of intelligence and common sense would realize that (1) mental disease is a primary factor in gun violence and measures should be taken to ensure individuals with mental issues that prevent them from being responsible gun owners cannot own firearms -- if any type. Enacting laws that restrict the ability of legal gun owners to enjoy the sport and protect themselves and their families, while criminals acquire and use firearms without restrictions is senseless. Please do the right thing.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    Done! My response:

Senator Miller,

Thank you for extending to the people, the opportunity to express our opinions on the issues. It's refreshing to know that the Maryland legislature is listening to it's constituents.

First and foremost, during these financially difficult times I think it is of the utmost importance to attend to our budget. We need the Senate to find ways to reduce wasteful spending, and get the budget back in order without more raises in taxes across an already cash strapped population. We need to ensure that our schools, critical infrastructure, fire and police force get the funding they deserve, while cutting out the wasteful programs. Further raises in taxes and degradation of infrastructure will drive the most productive individuals and businesses out of the state.

Secondly, the state house needs to stop the attack on gun-owners. We feel victimized or even criminalized in this constant attack on our rights. Am I a criminal just for owning a common semi-auto rifle? I have never committed a crime in my life, and neither have any of the other gun-owners I know. I'm a veteran who served 10 years in the Navy all over the world, where I saw first hand why people need to be able to defend themselves. It seems that the introduced legislation would make me and all the other engineers, aviators, programmers I work with into criminals, just for owning a popular rifle... Yet another reason for an entire group of productive people and businesses to leave the state, taking their share of the tax burden with them.

I OPPOSE SB0281
    I OPPOSE HB107

Respectfully,
    This Guy
    Leonardtown, MD 20650

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey