• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JJM82

Sep 20, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    So is it just the Livescan prints that are needed or is there any other background check involved before submitting the application?

I called Absolute Investigative Services in Towson yesterday and they said they do the Livescan prints ($20) but also they do the background check so MSP doesn't have too? It comes out to $54.50 for prints and background check.

Yet on the instructions/requirements on the MSP site, they make no mention of anything other than Livescan prints.

I plan on going to get printed tomrrow morning. Hopefully someone here can clear this up for me before I get jipped out of $35.

What did you guys/gals do?

Thanks for any help.

Josh

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    So is it just the Livescan prints that are needed or is there any other background check involved before submitting the application?

I called Absolute Investigative Services in Towson yesterday and they said they do the Livescan prints ($20) but also they do the background check so MSP doesn't have too? It comes out to $54.50 for prints and background check.

Yet on the instructions/requirements on the MSP site, they make no mention of anything other than Livescan prints.
    You misunderstand. The Livescan folks are allowed to tack on a charge for the background check and the state does mention that on their fingerprint page.
    "In addition to the fees required by the State of Maryland for criminal history record checks the private provider will collect an additional service fee as determined by the provider."

My place would only take a money order, so sort that out before you get there.
    If you followed this thread from the beginning, it usually only takes a couple days to get approved except now they don't tell you online you are approved. You have to wait 2 weeks for your card.

JJM82

Sep 20, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    You misunderstand. The Livescan folks are allowed to tack on a charge for the background check and the state does mention that on their fingerprint page.
    "In addition to the fees required by the State of Maryland for criminal history record checks the private provider will collect an additional service fee as determined by the provider."

My place would only take a money order, so sort that out before you get there.
    If you followed this thread from the beginning, it usually only takes a couple days to get approved except now they don't tell you online you are approved. You have to wait 2 weeks for your card.

Thanks for clearing that up bigdaddy. I did see someone else post in another thread basically what you just said. And i know ASI takes cash. Or at least they did back when I gambled on a ccw.

EAB

Mar 5, 2013
    Same with me. Did prints at Absolute in Belair on the 20th, applied online same day. Got mine in the mail yesterday the 28th.Not complaining but, wonder why I got mine faster than most are reporting.

JJM82

Sep 20, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    Application\License Fee Completed Mar/01/14
    MVA Photo Completed Mar/04/14
    LiveScan Completed Mar/04/14
    Training Completed Mar/04/14
    NICS Incomplete
    METERS Completed Mar/04/14
    CJIS Completed Mar/04/14
    MAFSS Completed Mar/04/14
    JIS Completed Mar/04/14
    DJS Not Applicable Mar/04/14
    DHMH Completed Mar/04/14

Last edited:

revobreaker

Nov 13, 2011
    SOMD
    I applied on 2/20/14 and received my HQL today, 2/28/14, #29**

Me too, then I went to all Pawn to do my papers for a transfer from Big Dog that I bought on Feb 21, 7 more days and i might actually get to take the thing home :mad54:

Side note: I got my livescan done at LEIofMD in St. Marys, quick and easy, no appointment, pleasant to deal with.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Heelsbound

Mar 4, 2014
    Submitted application on 2/20, went active on 2/27 when the checklist disappeared.

Just called MSP and my card hasn't been printed yet. Bummer, because I want to buy a .357 mag and can't start the paperwork until I have my number.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    JJM- did they tell you to use the tracking number and not the pcn number ? that's what absolute told me so I used that but am unable to track since the sight is still down...

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    It's been down for a few days now. Pretty lame. Hopefully this just hinders my ability to constantly check my app status and not their ability to work on it...

IBTL- well I was....
    I submitted the app on Fri. Looks like Norton is working for MSP now. Ha!

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    1. Livescan: Exempt
    2. Online App: 2 March 2014
    3. Training: Exempt
    4. Pending: 6 March 2014
    5. Date Active: 7 March 2014
    6. Card Recieved: yes...

Last edited:

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    ok, was just curious because the way the website defines incomplete I didn't know if I should be expecting a call or some sort of check just hasn't come back...

thanks swinokur

JJM82

Sep 20, 2011
    Jarrettsville
    JJM- did they tell you to use the tracking number and not the pcn number ? that's what absolute told me so I used that but am unable to track since the sight is still down...

rockstar. I don't think they did. I used the PCN and as of today my livescan status says complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom