• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 28, 2013
    NO way. I refuse to pay for a right I already have. I have enough handguns for now. I plan on leaving Maryland anyway in a couple of years.

Welcome aboard. ;)

I plan to go get fingerprinted for mine today. Dammit, I need a vent rib .357 mag.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I've worked in politics for 30 years from the county to the federal level (not in the bureaucracies, but directly on the staffs of elected officials) and not a one of them, absent their conscience or some other need or desire, will bend to a position without money or numbers (meaning power) pushing them that way. How do we demonstrate that power? Lots of 4473's in lots of different names helps, or any other way we can touch them in a way they understand. What evidence can you think of that demonstrates there is a large firearms-owning community? I thought a large number of HQL's may be one way.

I bet you think peace is about to break out in the middle east too. These issues are rooted in deep philosophical distortions, and as much as anything, serving those in power, to get power themselves. This has virtually NOTHING to do with firearms.

Juche90

May 10, 2014
    JohnnyE has a point. The more HQLs issued constitiute not just a tangibly larger voting block, but an overall larger source of campaign donations, or lack thereof. Who doesn't send some $$ once a month or quarter? It's got me thinking.

Feb 28, 2013
    Well, so much for that idea. Absolute Investigation's Bel Air location works bankers' hours.:rolleyes:

Now. I gotta wait 'til next week and go down to Towson with the wackjobs. :banghead:

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I've worked in politics for 30 years from the county to the federal level (not in the bureaucracies, but directly on the staffs of elected officials) and not a one of them, absent their conscience or some other need or desire, will bend to a position without money or numbers (meaning power) pushing them that way. How do we demonstrate that power? Lots of 4473's in lots of different names helps, or any other way we can touch them in a way they understand. What evidence can you think of that demonstrates there is a large firearms-owning community? I thought a large number of HQL's may be one way.

The sheer number of firearms sales and backlog at MSP pre- Oct. 1 overwhelms any potential number of HQL's, which require unconstitutional hoops and a poll tax to obtain.

As to the "poll tax," just because any number of people can afford to pay it and will doesn't make it constitutional. And the powers-that-be can't show how many people are dissuaded by even a $1 poll tax. Myself and lots of others here included. An unconstitutional poll tax is an unconstitutional poll tax. Period.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    The sheer number of firearms sales and backlog at MSP pre- Oct. 1 overwhelms any potential number of HQL's, which require unconstitutional hoops and a poll tax to obtain.

Well said. If they have not gotten the point yet, it is because they don't want to.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I bet you think peace is about to break out in the middle east too. These issues are rooted in deep philosophical distortions, and as much as anything, serving those in power, to get power themselves. This has virtually NOTHING to do with firearms.

It is for the reasons I cited in my post that I believe peace will NOT break out in the middle east. The first thing we need to understand is what motivates people. The power is on our side...in Georgia, etc...why is that?

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

As to the "poll tax," just because any number of people can afford to pay it and will doesn't make it constitutional. And the powers-that-be can't show how many people are dissuaded by even a $1 poll tax. Myself and lots of others here included. An unconstitutional poll tax is an unconstitutional poll tax. Period.

Regarding all the pre-October 1 purchases. Yes, they were clearly overwhelming. What matters more is not the number of 4473 submitted, but how many people submitted 4473's I was personally responsible for many 4473's, but those all those together should only be counted as a single motivated voter.

With regard to the poll tax comment, I agree the HQL should, like the poll tax, be held to be unconstitutional. My getting an HQL does not mean I think it is constitutional, not at all, rather, I want Annapolis, once again, to see that there is a sizable firearms-owning population in Maryland.

DAMUE

Aug 31, 2012
    Pasadena
    I won't be getting an HQL. I anticipated all of this happening even before Newtown and bought everything I wanted. I will wait until the law is repealed or I move before buying any other guns. Knowing the political climate in Maryland I suspect it will be the latter.

helmetmike

Sep 30, 2010
    So. MD 29B
    HQL. Don't have, Won't have. Screw O'Money, MSP, MD Legislature and anyone else who seeks to infringe upon the 2nd Amendment. Fight back and vote out every one of the SOB's who put their greed before our rights.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I do not see that lots of people getting their HQLs will send any sort of message to Annapolis that will be heard. I think this because, even with how disturbed the Maryland gun community is about the recent new gun laws, not everyone with an HQL will do the small chore of voting. Getting Maryland's gun owners out to vote, I believe, will be the only message that Annapolis will listen to.
    While I do not think this about those on this website, as we are the committed tip of the spear, I will not be holding my breath for a majority of fellow gun owning Marylanders to make even the minimal effort to vote.
    It has been extremely frustrating to frequently talk to people with a mindset that their vote is useless in Maryland and therefore will not vote. Many are too occupied with bread and circuses and planning when the evil JBTs will come for their guns. That is when many say they will start fighting for their rights. :sad20:
    I will continue on regardless. Hunting season is coming up and there are many opportunities to get out the vote at the hunting area parking lots.
    Lastly, if most of us get the HQL prior to a court challenge of the requirement, it could embolden them seeing that we will comply with unconstitutional statutory requirements.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I do not see that lots of people getting their HQLs will send any sort of message to Annapolis that will be heard. I think this because, even with how disturbed the Maryland gun community is about the recent new gun laws, not everyone with an HQL will do the small chore of voting. Getting Maryland's gun owners out to vote, I believe, will be the only message that Annapolis will listen to.
    While I do not think this about those on this website, as we are the committed tip of the spear, I will not be holding my breath for a majority of fellow gun owning Marylanders to make even the minimal effort to vote.
    It has been extremely frustrating to frequently talk to people with a mindset that their vote is useless in Maryland and therefore will not vote. Many are too occupied with bread and circuses and planning when the evil JBTs will come for their guns. That is when many say they will start fighting for their rights. :sad20:
    I will continue on regardless. Hunting season is coming up and there are many opportunities to get out the vote at the hunting area parking lots.
    Lastly, if most of us get the HQL prior to a court challenge of the requirement, it could embolden them seeing that we will comply with unconstitutional statutory requirements.

Bingo. And even if we all did, taking the time twice every two years (primary and general elections), this is still trying to make a diving catch. By that time, the choice of candidates is solidified...they have been chosen for us.

How many of US are involved in our communities, working to encourage and support a neighbor, friend, family member, or even ourselves, to run for "dog catcher," to then run for county council, to then run for delegate, and eventually to run for Congress? Anyone who does THIS is not, like most voters, choosing from the candidates put before us, they are working to create the choices.

Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed that we suffer the handicap of being go-it-alone, individualistic types, rather than Kumbaya, let's get together caucusing types that the libs tend to be. I think their nature aids them in achieving political power.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    It is for the reasons I cited in my post that I believe peace will NOT break out in the middle east. The first thing we need to understand is what motivates people. The power is on our side...in Georgia, etc...why is that?

I suspect that many urban Americans have forgotten how life really works. The more big cities and urban areas in a state, the more voters with incorrect assumptions about reality.

They think food comes from Safeway, and the government will fix everything.

They are not swayed by history and facts that prove otherwise. I am at a loss as to how people don't understand after watching the fall of a big controlling government in the former USSR. :sad20:

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I suspect that many urban Americans have forgotten how life really works. The more big cities and urban areas in a state, the more voters with incorrect assumptions about reality.

They think food comes from Safeway, and the government will fix everything.

They are not swayed by history and facts that prove otherwise. I am at a loss as to how people don't understand after watching the fall of a big controlling government in the former USSR. :sad20:

These are the same people who after a natural disater sit there and cry into the camera why isn't "insert elected offical name" or the Government helping me. They truelly believe that the government will always be there to help them. They think now one needs a gun because the Police will protect them. They completely lack what people call Common Sense that from my experence isn't so common now a days.

Right_to_arm_bears

OIF, OND, & OEF Vet.
    Nov 13, 2012
    MD
    Lmao that you think they care about the size of our community. They let Beretta leave the state. Hundreds of jobs and all that tax revenue gone and they couldn't care less.

Annapolis will or won't draw that conclusion, depending on two things: how many of us there are, and, what it is we say. Legislators may conclude that few HQL's = few people interested in firearms. Conversely, lot's of HQL's can mean a few things, including lot's of people will jump through inane hoops (if we get HQL's and otherwise say nothing) or, there are a lot of us, and listen to what we say (if we get HQL's to demonstrate numbers, and then speak loudly that things need to change). Right now, without numbers, nothing we say will be heeded. I think they will look at the number of HQL's and draw a conclusion about the size of our community.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom