• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    Judge Sculins order used the words loaded IIRC I don't see how if the handgun ban isn't enforceable then the mag limit would not be either.

IANAL

"Ready to use" was the wording, so yes... I would infer loaded from that.

At this point (and again, I won't be one to advocate traipsing into DC until we know more--but that's just me), I would say that prudence would dictate keeping with the 10-round limit and no extra mags.

Until someone can dissect the order (and all the related statutes), I don't think we really know. Plus, there may well be a stay coming, and I'd hate to see someone caught in-between.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Judge Sculins order used the words loaded IIRC I don't see how if the handgun ban isn't enforceable then the mag limit would not be either.

IANAL

Apples and oranges. At this point in time, everything is confusing.

Once the DC government gets it's footing back and they examine the ruling, the mag issue may be a fight for another day.

If someone wants to carry in DC, use a single stack gun :)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm completely shocked they are not appealing this. I guess they are getting smart knowing that fighting itmay lead to further pro 2a rulings.

Or I'm living I'm the twilight zone...

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I'm completely shocked they are not appealing this. I guess they are getting smart knowing that fighting itmay lead to further pro 2a rulings.

Or I'm living I'm the twilight zone...

Don't worry, They are.

Lanier doesn't want the personal liability, in the mean time.

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    DC has a 10 round magazine limit (possession).
    Don't legally carry an illegal magazine.

Also, beware of the Gun Free School Zones Act. If you carry a loaded firearm within 1000 feet of school property and don't have a carry permit issued by the state in which the school is located, you're guilty. There are schools everywhere in DC. I pass four of them on my way in every day. DC is not prohibited from enforcing the GFSZA under Saturday's order.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Fixed for Mr H.

Judge Sculins order used the words ready to use. I don't see how if the handgun ban isn't enforceable then the mag limit would not be either. Doesn't place a limit on ready to use. But

IANAL

I would think the 10 round limit could be upheld. A firearm can be ready-to-use with a 10 round or less magazine.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Also, beware of the Gun Free School Zones Act. If you carry a loaded firearm within 1000 feet of school property and don't have a carry permit issued by the state in which the school is located, you're guilty. There are schools everywhere in DC. I pass four of them on my way in every day. DC is not prohibited from enforcing the GFSZA under Saturday's order.

There are protections for people travelling from one destination to another.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Gonna be difficult to comply as DC doesn't issue permits (for now). How would this be enforced since no one can yet get a permit?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

The GFSZA is a Federal statute, not DC. It would require Federal enforcement and prosecution. And according to the Internet, it is usually added as an additional charge to local charges. If DC isn't going to lock you up, I don't see this as a huge issue for the feds. I still wouldn't push any of this stuff as noted by Mr. H.

IANAL

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    FWIW: I just talked to a close friend who is an MPD sergeant. His orders are 'not to arrest anyone carrying'. He says MPD is erring on the side of caution to avoid contempt charges. The entire department is in shock! Waiting on him to forward me a copy of Lanier's orders.

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    Also, I presume Lanier's order applies only to the MPDC. Do you trust that the US Park Police, US Capitol Police, Federal Protective Service, Uniformed Secret Service, WMATA Transit Police, etc., etc. are going to know not to enforce the law?

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Fixed for Mr H.

Judge Sculins order used the words ready to use. I don't see how if the handgun ban isn't enforceable then the mag limit would not be either. Doesn't place a limit on ready to use. But

IANAL

I could be wrong but he could be referring to the DC law that required guns to be disassembled and not ready to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom