transporting + carrying law contradictory?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    One last time; If you do not have a Md. Carry Permit but have a permit that covers your destination in another state per 4-203 you are not allowed to lock it in the trunk until you get there as you stated. There is no exception in MD. Law for this. If you are stopped by LEO, you cannot honestly have a reason for the firearm per 4-203. Therefore if you are honest, there is a good chance you will be arrested. The fact that multiple lawyers express this on their websites is not just a scare tactic.
    Of course this is a poorly written law, no one is disputing this but it still doesn't mean it should be taken lightly or that caution on giving advice based on it isn't warranted.
    The only person commenting on this thread who gets it was Doc Teratos, and BTW I am an MSI Member and have been for over 10 years.
    One LAST TIME, Maryland LAW has no say in what happens outside the State of Maryland, therefore Maryland cannot write a law making it illegal to transport a firearm to a location outside of the state.
    You have a very hard time understanding that for some reason, even though it is basic middle school civics.
    For the 5th time, it is NOT illegal for you, or anyone else that does not have a Maryland Wear and Carry permit, but has a carry permit from another state, to place their firearm in a case and drive across the Maryland state line to a state that recognizes said carry permit from another state, pull over, take the firearm out of the case, and strap up.
    If you don't believe any of us, who appear to actually understand the State Statutes, and post them from the actual source, then may I suggest you reach out to the Maryland State Police Licensing Division and ask them if it is legal? You probably won't believe them either when they give you the same answer you have received here.

The BGOS is extremely strong with this one.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I have read the words but they don’t make sense to me…outside of Baltimore City there is no law against a non-prohibited person carrying an unloaded rifle in a public place. As long as you are law abiding you could carry it around in a backpack as long as a loaded mag isn’t inserted.
    Nothing in State law prevent anyone from carrying a rifle in a backpack with a magazine inserted and a round in the chamber.

Has nothing to do with an HGP or an HQL. Those relate to handguns. If you have an HGP you could carry a loaded braced pistol around in a backpack, such as an AR platform or other PDW type.
    And without a W&C Permit, you can carry any loaded rifle you want any way you want in public.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This FOPA ? From NRA Site:

The Firearm Owners Protection Act (FOPA) is an important provision of federal law intended to protect the right of law-abiding gun owners to transport firearms throughout our nation. Yet in the years since its enactment, it has been ignored by anti-gun local officials and effectively gutted by the courts.

In a time when we have an ex POTUS being charged by County DA's do you really think Marylanders have a chance ? I was simply trying to suggest to the OP who just got a CCP and wanted to conceal carry a rifle into a Walmart, the laws are not in our favor and be careful. Many of us know all the little issues with Md. Law but NONE of us know the real intent and how these laws would be interpreted.
    We have found the king of BGOS

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    You are legal because there is exemption for transporting to Range. The original point was, without a CCP there is no exception for transporting in Maryland to have it with you in a state you can carry.

Nonsense. If you’re transporting through MD to another state you’re covered under FOPA regardless of whether or not you have a CCW permit for that state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Some folks should honestly find a hobby that doesn't involve firearms, that way they don't have ever be consumed with whatever mental grief they have going on.

There's nothing wrong with making a choice to not have possession of firearms

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Some folks should honestly find a hobby that doesn't involve firearms, that way they don't have ever be consumed with whatever mental grief they have going on.

There's nothing wrong with making a choice to not have possession of firearms

Or as someone pointed out at the very beginning of this thread :

What's an HQL have to do with anything?

Have you considered studying the Talmud?

Or taking up fishing?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Nonsense. If you’re transporting through MD to another state you’re covered under FOPA regardless of whether or not you have a CCW permit for that state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ^^^^^ This ^^^^^ It really is THAT simple.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    We have found the king of BGOS
    Wow, I looked up BGOS and if you mean "Battered Gun Owners Syndrome" then yes, yes I am . Everyone on this forum should be or else we wouldn't need groups like MSI...Right ? Check out my new Avatar

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Wow, I looked up BGOS and if you mean "Battered Gun Owners Syndrome" then yes, yes I am . Everyone on this forum should be or else we wouldn't need groups like MSI...Right ? Check out my new Avatar
    That’s not what it means, contextually. It’s a reference to people aware of real and abusive infringements (like Maryland’s), but so cowed by them that out of fear they self-impose even greater infringements than actually exist.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    That’s not what it means, contextually. It’s a reference to people aware of real and abusive infringements (like Maryland’s), but so cowed by them that out of fear they self-impose even greater infringements than actually exist.
    Oh, couldn't find that definition. Shouldn't the acronym have a lot more letters ??

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

We have groups like MSI because :

Fully informed gun owners ( and non gun owners who believe in freedom and Bill of Bill of Rights , fighting back against unjust laws .

Join MSI
    Donate generously to MSI lawsuit fund and effective national organizations ( even if not members for whatever reason)
    Give testimony ( written or in person) in Annapolis.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No you join MSI precisely because you refuse to be a battered gun owner.

At least that’s why I did.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It means you are a cuckhold to the State with regards to your 2A Rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom