transporting + carrying law contradictory?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aznboi87

Aug 29, 2023
    rockville, md
    Scenario:
    Weapon: FPC (Smith&Wesson 9mm FPC)
    I have conceal carry permit, and HQL.

Bill: transporting a rifle can only be between home, gun shop, range, or an event (we are not discussion about firearms/pistols)
    you are allowed to open carry a rifle in public, there are no law preventing this (lets leave out public harrasment/police harrasement for now)

Say, If I want to go to a store that allows conceal carry weapon, and I have a FPC in my back pack, and I lived BEHIND (5 minute walking) the store, if I drive my car, that's consider "transporting" and if I somehow get pulled over between my home and the store, that's illegal because that is against the Bill.
    However, if I walk to the store, with an FPC folded in my backpack, becaue technically there's no law prohibiting me walking around a 16" barrel fpc.

=====================================================
    I don't really care about "oh it's too slow to draw it out, there's no point" etc etc. That's not the point of this discussion. There's not a lot of topic about "conceal carry" an FPC, which FPC is still classified as a rifle

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not totally following .
    Who's Bill , and what's his connection ?

Do you mean * you personally * , presuming you live in MoCo as listed on your header ? MoCo has grandfathered county laws on transport that predate Preemption .

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I do not believe the CCP applies to rifles, so that part is a no go. The rest is then just looking to spend money on attorney fees so what is your point. I'll give you a better example; pre 2A opinion, how does a Marylander who had a Florida CWP take their firearm with them when driving ? See Teratos post

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I do not believe the CCP applies to rifles, so that part is a no go. The rest is then just looking to spend money on attorney fees so what is your point. I'll give you a better example; pre 2A opinion, how does a Marylander who had a Florida CWP take their firearm with them when driving ? See Teratos post
    That is my understanding as well - i.e., W&C permit does not extend to concealed carry of long guns.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Scenario:
    Weapon: FPC (Smith&Wesson 9mm FPC)
    I have conceal carry permit, and HQL.

Bill: transporting a rifle can only be between home, gun shop, range, or an event (we are not discussion about firearms/pistols)
    There is no such law or bill in Maryland, you are able to transport a rifle anywhere you like in maryland without issue.

you are allowed to open carry a rifle in public, there are no law preventing this (lets leave out public harrasment/police harrasement for now)

Say, If I want to go to a store that allows conceal carry weapon, and I have a FPC in my back pack, and I lived BEHIND (5 minute walking) the store, if I drive my car, that's consider "transporting" and if I somehow get pulled over between my home and the store, that's illegal because that is against the Bill.
    However, if I walk to the store, with an FPC folded in my backpack, becaue technically there's no law prohibiting me walking around a 16" barrel fpc.
    First of all, if you get pulled over, how will they know about the rifle? Are you telling them? If so, that's on you. Are they asking to search your vehicle? If so, then they had better articulate why other than a traffic stop.

Second, again, there is no law about transporting a rifle anyplace you like.

=====================================================
    I don't really care about "oh it's too slow to draw it out, there's no point" etc etc. That's not the point of this discussion. There's not a lot of topic about "conceal carry" an FPC, which FPC is still classified as a rifle
    There is no discussion, because a permit is not required to conceal carry a rifle or shotgun in Maryland.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Simple, put it in a case and transport it to a free state that recognizes your FL CWP. Pull over, strap up, continue on your way.
    And before you say "But Maryland law says..." Maryland law only applies to the start and end of your travels inside Maryland, not starting a trip in Maryland and ending it is another state.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Simple, put it in a case and transport it to a free state that recognizes your FL CWP. Pull over, strap up, continue on your way.
    And before you say "But Maryland law says..." Maryland law only applies to the start and end of your travels inside Maryland, not starting a trip in Maryland and ending it is another state.
    Lol, Fair enough but this sounds like lawyer speak to me.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Lol, Fair enough but this sounds like lawyer speak to me.
    Not if you're used to Maryland's way of deliberately abusing the demographic within its boundaries that it hates (hint: that's us). If you're traveling across state lines, FOPA covers you. For trips that stay inside Maryland's borders, FOPA doesn't apply. That's it, no lawyers needed to interpret anything.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Scenario:

No such law exists in Md.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom