• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    My play Jeep..........ya it started as a $2,200 roadside pick-up. Not even sure where I am now, its a Jeep Just - Empty - Every - Pocket

4QByu9GC4r4R4H6FleDrtELqrIUIZ-KFzQWg1BIkFIimKAEEXw6vwRp1lLDjPcXcK2du-Z1uDYPpGtMKSngkIGLfVOq1xOUgTLlVMJ2m49a7h86YD58dWVDgRpsZAmhN8C2MhUjJ4JKARlZwPcEOyVxTsK9vUnAfqtB0AjDLl9HwjpF46wSdCimugFbsMYiwhVu3OWp46x3ewlcgQFT7R9cyFnrxBdKNAwvgLhp65joVfZBFDdS252x_ZIZiwiV0NNTaFf2FLSWcElqPPM9skPjboX4WFrb-Mxir64AFEV7kJzczYgEk5QsPDp3KktAbDkYivPyePLP1jSUhKda8YjaaybS3hqTmkLEGlfb3RsSEHbrqDRuFLqXBnmaCbO2XxZdVKgnk1xKsn4dcpp7Yv5_ARwHV2YpSaY3n__B9PCP11L3bBphuJ9DOLZ3_bYXHeACPEm8fCnAbaFRM1B6qhuDvK40Q86l5a5tkOK5NcYMLpjXERvojuCSqqelTntnnkVk61VCOtsUci5HQF5HQt51BHm63WI1CkR1sOYcw2xw=w432-h288-no

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Scwheet! I always liked the long bed jobbers. It was called a scrambler wasn't it?

Yup CJ8 Scrambler, here was the before resto photo. Obviously I had a little body work to do but really very solid compared to what these usually come out of a field looking like.

yoOZThsrasxHOmZHvagGtqmeP1RPx__abVtaoLgDZvRSZaOlu6FNVahKo2hxig4pvCziDVmqu1UkE79apeOH4F1QyYTVFHWGUc_klpPYkz3ylG_F3dqXuNpiXGJRLr33liJX3w5qj3sMV1-C0r2ikaPzwsCFLDYeKOfF3YVNkv8XgxKorwxTuDwfv3wA6-dPL6rLaCXu_lsLuZZ4oNaj7LXDCkovCg3ISPtYTUanLCMArd6O45Z_Am0MlccouProTK1GT2dFigxkqHMv6xyE39u7XORpUs50xpJdsEJ7GrHyUqPoYlOkSeOEPpsnY-o7fTrJkMmF2Eh45vXHCB_hF_aFQ9_DHu-LKu2_Vbf-wTEMLJd6jAOa-DFTrjKsWB3NveIEsib36iekZaDYZ6g1XKOLx4VrbzBKzJDPMPSewpLNmfRXsMmAZYueoHdl8ODcuQuF0pZgW4rEEP8UM-tPg2_Rr3cgZWtyc0w7_hsALoZheedaFMi9BIiy_h2VFHHo_8dep7pTjR9TMWV-Rk0Xwe9jXzIbHvc66_JiWQ7WmCc=w1152-h864-no

Honestly, if I had the extra cash laying around what I would pick-up now would be a 2005-6 TJ unlimited Rubicon. Those will be as collectible as it gets.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    The dish in the background looks like it's mounted to the Jeep. HAHA!! It's a mobile satellite communications jeep!

Mine's an ongoing project. I started by dumping thousands upon thousands into a restored drive train. That was the most important part. Next comes suspension (it still has the original springs!) Last will be the body and I'll have it put back to the original Pasture Green. The serial number is just over 4000 so it's a real early one. It's important that it looks correct but I don't care about a perfect restoration. I just want it to outlast me.

These things are just THE BEST fun aren't they?

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Honestly, if I had the extra cash laying around what I would pick-up now would be a 2005-6 TJ unlimited Rubicon. Those will be as collectible as it gets.

I don't have any interest in the new stuff at all. WAY too modern and comfortable for my tastes. If I can't rip it apart in my garage with nothing more than a handful of tools, it's not for me.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I don't have any interest in the new stuff at all. WAY too modern and comfortable for my tastes. If I can't rip it apart in my garage with nothing more than a handful of tools, it's not for me.

I agree to a point, that said the TJs were pretty easy to rip apart, I had a 99 and did a lot to it and never had to worry. Nothing really wild there, a simple scan tool and hand tools and you could do about anything.

As with all Jeeps its keeping the bodies and frames clean that's a challenge.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    My play Jeep..........ya it started as a $2,200 roadside pick-up. Not even sure where I am now, its a Jeep Just - Empty - Every - Pocket

4QByu9GC4r4R4H6FleDrtELqrIUIZ-KFzQWg1BIkFIimKAEEXw6vwRp1lLDjPcXcK2du-Z1uDYPpGtMKSngkIGLfVOq1xOUgTLlVMJ2m49a7h86YD58dWVDgRpsZAmhN8C2MhUjJ4JKARlZwPcEOyVxTsK9vUnAfqtB0AjDLl9HwjpF46wSdCimugFbsMYiwhVu3OWp46x3ewlcgQFT7R9cyFnrxBdKNAwvgLhp65joVfZBFDdS252x_ZIZiwiV0NNTaFf2FLSWcElqPPM9skPjboX4WFrb-Mxir64AFEV7kJzczYgEk5QsPDp3KktAbDkYivPyePLP1jSUhKda8YjaaybS3hqTmkLEGlfb3RsSEHbrqDRuFLqXBnmaCbO2XxZdVKgnk1xKsn4dcpp7Yv5_ARwHV2YpSaY3n__B9PCP11L3bBphuJ9DOLZ3_bYXHeACPEm8fCnAbaFRM1B6qhuDvK40Q86l5a5tkOK5NcYMLpjXERvojuCSqqelTntnnkVk61VCOtsUci5HQF5HQt51BHm63WI1CkR1sOYcw2xw=w432-h288-no

Jeeps are one thing I've never personally owned but I've always like these.

I also think these are pretty cool as well.....

Attachments

• jeep-honcho-03.jpg
      jeep-honcho-03.jpg
      101.7 KB · Views: 189

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    To me, the late 60's and 70's Cherokees represent rock solid stability in one's psyche. They are the very essence of outdoorsmen and sportsmen.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I grew up riding in the back of a CJ6a like this

1956-jeep-cj-for-sale-2015-04-01-1-1024x763-1024x763.jpg

and riding shotgun while my dad plowed snow in one like this

310-800.jpg

The plow truck had the original Contenential Motors straight 6, but another light duty Willys truck we had at his garage had a small block Chevy mated to a push button Chrysler Torqueflite 727 ... followed up by a Ford rear. When the fenders started rusting off the plow truck my dad had me weld them back on with 2 handfuls of coat hangers.

The CJ6a had the V-6 out of a low mileage Buick 225. When Jeep came out with the longer body Jeep with the V-6, all I could say was "I told ya so" ... it was a great combination. The power of the V-6 made the CJ into an actual tow vehicle in its day without going into V-8 overkill. My dad did V-8 CJ conversions for some customers, but did the V-6 for himself in about 1964.

My brother ran the CJ6a until about 1980 when it was in a head on that hit so hard it spit the transmission gears out onto the road. Fortunately, no one was injured.

Dieselfool

Jun 19, 2013
    Westminster, Carroll County
    I agree to a point, that said the TJs were pretty easy to rip apart, I had a 99 and did a lot to it and never had to worry. Nothing really wild there, a simple scan tool and hand tools and you could do about anything.

As with all Jeeps its keeping the bodies and frames clean that's a challenge.

I had a 99 TJ, god rest her soul... lost her to frame rust. it ripped the top two rear control arm mounts clean,... or rusty and jagged, off. I welded her all back together, but I wouldn't rely on it for the kids sake... so I put my tail between my legs and put it on CL... hell even after the 2 transmissions the hardtop MOD and a few other little things I made over $3500 on it.. so I wasn't terribly upset

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Like many C&R rifles a complete mint CJ should be kept original . But if that doesn't apply , nothing that can't be improved by retrofitting YJ hardtop, tilt coloum, and highback seats.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I had a 99 TJ, god rest her soul... lost her to frame rust. it ripped the top two rear control arm mounts clean,... or rusty and jagged, off. I welded her all back together, but I wouldn't rely on it for the kids sake... so I put my tail between my legs and put it on CL... hell even after the 2 transmissions the hardtop MOD and a few other little things I made over $3500 on it.. so I wasn't terribly upset

That's unfortunate, I cant imagine having frame rust on a 99! My old 99 is still going, even after being used as a plow Jeep at my PA place for the last 5 years. Usually the modern Jeep frames hold up really well.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    That's unfortunate, I cant imagine having frame rust on a 99! My old 99 is still going, even after being used as a plow Jeep at my PA place for the last 5 years. Usually the modern Jeep frames hold up really well.

Yesterday I saw a late 90s pickup on a rollback wrecker. Frame had rusted through and broken right behind the cab. All it takes is enough neglect.

Dieselfool

Jun 19, 2013
    Westminster, Carroll County

from what I understand the previous owner may have used it in montana or something like that for hunting, then it was given to his daughter on the eastern shore... then he got it back when the trans x member pulled through the frame, then I bought it. it's the second one I fixed the trans x member frame section so it didn't scare me away. I got it for a bargain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom