• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattFive

Nov 10, 2012
    Gambrills, MD
    As long as the OAL is greater than 29", SBRs are good to go. Just do your Form 1 like normal. The process hasn't changed just MD's approved definition of an SBR.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    As long as the OAL is greater than 29", SBRs are good to go.

Unless they've changed things, that depends. If you owned the receiver pre-Oct 1st, you can still do <29" OAL if you do it on a form 4.

OP, if you're interested in getting yourself an SBR, you'll need to decide if you're going the trust route or the "traditional" route of personal ownership. The difference is that with a trust you are not required to get the CLEO for your area to sign off that it's ok that you have one. Then you walk through the process of filling out either the form 1 (if you're buying it pre-made) or the form 4 (if you're making it yourself from a receiver that you already own), put together all of the other attendant paperwork, the $200, and then wait and wait and wait.

Several of the Industry Partners here are experts on this entire process and I'm sure would be happy to walk you through it.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hawkeye, those forms are backwards. From 4 is to purchase it, and form 1 is to make and register.

Yeah, I realized that about five minutes ago. Don't know what I was thinking about.

Sorry about the misinformation.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Trust also allows all trustees to have access to the NFA items. So if you and your wife are both trustees, she can have the combo to the safe where they are stored, and can take them out and play with them without your presence.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I don't think the trust thing is necessary in MD. MD is probably one of the best class 3 states there is. Just go to MSP HQ and they sign off. No begging locals like other states. All centralized in MD. Least it was when I got my suppressor.

ziondogg

Feb 1, 2012
    SOMD
    I have pre 10/1 lowers and not interested in a trust. So fill out form 1 and drive to Pikesville to get them to sign off and pay the $200 and then wait? Is this correct? Just be clear this will allow me to build an ar with a stock that's less than 29" OAL?

Paperpounder

Jan 12, 2011
    Hampstead, MD / NC
    I have pre 10/1 lowers and not interested in a trust. So fill out form 1 and drive to Pikesville to get them to sign off and pay the $200 and then wait? Is this correct? Just be clear this will allow me to build an ar with a stock that's less than 29" OAL?

I am not 100 % sure, but I am pretty sure that ATF may still kick it back even though it is a pre 10/1 lower it may still need to be 29" or better. Again I could be wrong, but this is what I have been reading?

As far as everything else I am new to it, but with that said going the individual route you will need CLEO sign off, finger prints, and passport photos. You do not pay the $ 200 to the MSP, but rather the ATF. Once your form 1 clears and you have stamp in hand you will be able to assemble an SBR. From everything I have read the wait times seem to getting shorter.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

Msp requires livescan and it will take 4 to 6 months for them to return. That's a big reason trusts help in Maryland.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I am not 100 % sure, but I am pretty sure that ATF may still kick it back even though it is a pre 10/1 lower it may still need to be 29" or better. Again I could be wrong, but this is what I have been reading?

They've gone back and forth on that, actually. There was a point when they were flat out denying anything from MD, then a while while they would do a <29" if you could prove you owned it pre 10/1. They may have changed again for all I know.

The NFA section on this forum has many helpful threads on this.

But basically, yes. If you are doing the non-trust route, you get fingerprinted, photos, and CLEO sign off from MSP. Then you do the Form 1 and send the whole bundle off to the ATFE with a check for $200.

Then wait.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Anybody out there that has recently gone through this process that can chime in?

You would probably be better off going down to the NFA/Class III forum in the Arsenal. There has been plenty of talk about this there.

As already mentioned, you need to submit fingerprints when you don't have a trust, and I don't think the verdict is quite out yet if pre 10/1/2013 lowers can be built into an SBR that is less than 29". Even if that is the case, you can go with a 10.5" barrel and be just over 29". Not the end of the world to have to meet the 29" or greater test.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't think the trust thing is necessary in MD. MD is probably one of the best class 3 states there is. Just go to MSP HQ and they sign off. No begging locals like other states. All centralized in MD. Least it was when I got my suppressor.

How long did it take to get MSP sign off?

That just adds more time between purchase and possession.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Msp requires livescan and it will take 4 to 6 months for them to return.

That's NOT true. MSP has been returning forms within a 4-6 week time period lately. My last one took 6 weeks. Others who have gotten theirs back more recently have received them back in 4 weeks.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Another reason for using the trust (or corp) is that you should be able to e-file your NFA forms. That is, once ATF stops using "enhancements" as the reason they stopped accepting the eForms in April.

There is also the issue now of SBRs having to be on the MD handgun rooster as SBR approved, since Maryland is treating SBRs as pistols.

Can someone clarify how this new requirement is being applied? If was firearm was purchased pre October 2013 and wants to build a SBR does it have to be on the handgun rooster? Does the handgun rooster requirement only applied to semi-autos? How about bolt actions, lever actions, and shotguns (semi-auto, pump)?

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I just got my approval 2 weeks ago.. I have multiple threads in the NFA section about my "wonderful" experience. Here are the takeaways

-Has to be OAL >29" no matter of when it was purchased. Mine was pre October and Mr. Cook (ATF) said he will not approve less than 29" because that is how he interprets MD law and is also the outcome from MSP discussions. I know of another person from this forum that was told he'd have to change his configuration to greater than 29" to be approved. This was last week.

-SBR will have to go to the handgun review board if you ever plan on selling it, per the MSP response I got. Does not need to be on the roster for a Form 1 approval

Other than that, Form 1 it over the OAL requirement and you'll get your approval

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Another reason for using the trust (or corp) is that you should be able to e-file your NFA forms. That is, once ATF stops using "enhancements" as the reason they stopped accepting the eForms in April.

Form 1s have be accepted for efile for a little over a month now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom