• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Looks like another gimmicky new ammo maker that is trying to make a quick buck with over-hype. Here is what I predict that we will see a year from now:

1. Antis freak out at the alleged leathility and use it as a poster child to ban "more lethal" ammo.
    2.Real performance will come up short.
    3. It will fade away and be remembered as a novelty like Rhino ammo.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    No way that gel block was anywhere near 10%, the cavity looked larger than a 308 test, although it did look to be a fairly small block. Basically looks like it turns into something around a 50gr wadcutter and a few fletchettes, although at a velocity too slow to penetrate much. I think it probably ends up like glaser, DRT or extreme shock. It's too expensive to practice with, doesn't cycle reliably, underpenetrates, and while it may look impressive shooting chicken, or a small block of jello, it is outclassed by most conventional HP ammo.

Where did you find it? Also curious what you shot it out of that wouldnt cycle. I wanna try some to see.

S&W19

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Meh... Not sure that would stop a threat. It would eventually, but time and time again, these boutique ammos have been proven to be a complete waste of money.

To me, it looks like someone whittled away on a Barnes all-copper and then decided to shoot it.

The thing that looks fake is that they show handguns throughout, then they shot the gel block with obviously a much larger round -- possibly from a shotgun.

Shooting through cinder blocks does not impress me, either.

Very informative video in your signature line re: bullet wounds in general! Thanks for listing it.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Very interesting sample of ammunition. Controversial, sure; let it be.
    We have better things to worry about than some upstart ammo manufacturer.

OUR RIGHTS ARE UNDER FIRE!!!!!!!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    No way that gel block was anywhere near 10%, the cavity looked larger than a 308 test, although it did look to be a fairly small block. Basically looks like it turns into something around a 50gr wadcutter and a few fletchettes, although at a velocity too slow to penetrate much. I think it probably ends up like glaser, DRT or extreme shock. It's too expensive to practice with, doesn't cycle reliably, underpenetrates, and while it may look impressive shooting chicken, or a small block of jello, it is outclassed by most conventional HP ammo.

Agreed. I don't see this being an effective round for incapacitating someone. Not impressed by the gelatin testing. The projectile is a bit light. I prefer a heavy hollow point.
    WOW, this round would absolutely DEVASTATE a human being. I mean, it definitely looks like a one shot stopper, but, it also seems too destructive hitting human flesh. Especially seeing what it does to this chicken.

Nasty, nasty stuff.

It will create an ugly wound, but ugly wounds don't drop people. It takes a while to bleed to death.

Quixell

Feb 3, 2014
    Looks like another gimmicky new ammo maker that is trying to make a quick buck with over-hype. Here is what I predict that we will see a year from now:

1. Antis freak out at the alleged leathility and use it as a poster child to ban "more lethal" ammo.
    2.Real performance will come up short.
    3. It will fade away and be remembered as a novelty like Rhino ammo.

Anyone notice that pieces came out of the gel block when shot?

I predict that the first time this stuff is actually used, and kills a room full of people, the resulting lawsuits will break the company.

And this ammo will be off the market...QUICKLY!! :D

MDNavyVet

Mar 25, 2013
    PG County

I just enjoy the slow motion video. There are several available using various fruits, drywall, cinder block, etc. as well.

Oct 7, 2008
    Arnold MD
    I was going to get a box just for shits and giggles so I emailed them to see where to get them or how much and they gave me 3 stores that sell them and they were all in the surrounding area of the factory and were out of stock. I asked when they were going to get some and how much a box cost and 2 out of 3 stores told me they had no clue when they were going to get more in and the price depends on how much they get in. WTF

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I'll pass on this snake oil. Based on my own research this stuff isn't as reliable as other HP's on the market, each trocar does less damage and penetration than a .22LR, and the base round damage cavity is the same as a .380 ACP.

Therefore people are buying overhyped and overpriced 9mm. that has the same damage as 9mm. Short. Doesn't sound like a good round to me, more like a RIP-off.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...searchs-rip-ammo-ballistic-testing-phase-one/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...searchs-rip-ammo-ballistic-testing-phase-two/

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    That's also because they were firing into a 6x6x18 block. Here it is in a 12x12x20...

Notice that the fragments have all stopped around the 5" mark .... well ...except for that unexpanded base that all the petals broke off from. That little chunk of nothing is out there around the 17" mark and that is what would give you the biggest chance of a liability. The fragments would pretty much bleed off all their energy with very little left to do much damage even if they just went in and out of an arm.

Makes perfect sense......as long as you hit them in the abdomen. But what about shoulder or leg hits?

Also, these intentional fragments come with a moral dilemma: what if you stop the baddie but they survive long enough to reach the ER? The surgeon goes into surgery thinking it is a typical GSW. Instead they find 9 bleeder pathways but because of the size of the trocars, he doesn't find them and can't account for all the bleeders. 4 hours later the perp dies from internal uncontrolled bleeding.

With normal SD ammo, what are the chances you still would have stopped him, but they stay alive?

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    Hmm interesting. I'd like to see more imperical testing to see how the round performs... At over $2 per round it's priced like a Ferrari but does it perform like one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom