• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mar 31, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    What are the mental requirements for a county officer in the state of Maryland? What about a Maryland trooper?

Crazy thing is, a lot of LEO's make close to, if not more than, six figures. Granted, it really sucks to deal with the criminal element every day at work. I have a hard enough time stomaching it the few times I am in criminal court a year.

6 figures?!?!?!? What agencies pay this much? I don't know where you pulled those numbers from but they are 100% incorrect. Some of my supervisors who are ready to retire make under 75k after 20+ years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    6 figures?!?!?!? What agencies pay this much? I don't know where you pulled those numbers from but they are 100% incorrect. Some of my supervisors who are ready to retire make under 75k after 20+ years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is where I pulled the numbers from.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/32529893/Montgomery-County-MD-Employee-Salaries-and-Overtime-Earnings-2009

These are 2009 numbers including overtime.

I'll help you find the answers too.

Go to page 4. Police Captain, a bunch of them, $127,000.

Go to page 7. Police Lietenant, a bunch of them, $111,000.

Go to page 15. Police Sergeant, a bunch of them, $98,000.

If your supervisors are ready to retire and they are only make $75,000 a year, they obviously did not climb too far up the supervisory ladder now did they. Who knows, maybe MOCO cut salaries over the past 4 years, and did so drastically, but I doubt it. One of my friends in the fire department made $200k+ as an EMT and it made the Washington Post.

Now, tell me again how what I said is 100% incorrect. There is one thing I learned as a kid, do not talk about something you know nothing about because you look like a jackass. So, I try to make sure I have data/documentation or some serious knowledge about what I say so I don't look like a moron.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Here is where I pulled the numbers from.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/32529893/Montgomery-County-MD-Employee-Salaries-and-Overtime-Earnings-2009

These are 2009 numbers including overtime.

I'll help you find the answers too.

Go to page 4. Police Captain, a bunch of them, $127,000.

Go to page 7. Police Lietenant, a bunch of them, $111,000.

Go to page 15. Police Sergeant, a bunch of them, $98,000.

If your supervisors are ready to retire and they are only make $75,000 a year, they obviously did not climb too far up the supervisory ladder now did they. Who knows, maybe MOCO cut salaries over the past 4 years, and did so drastically, but I doubt it. One of my friends in the fire department made $200k+ as an EMT and it made the Washington Post.

Now, tell me again how what I said is 100% incorrect. There is one thing I learned as a kid, do not talk about something you know nothing about because you look like a jackass. So, I try to make sure I have data/documentation or some serious knowledge about what I say so I don't look like a moron.

You are incorrect. Pull the numbers of the rank and file police officers doing the work and not command staff officers. Especially in one of the wealthiest counties in the country. The Sgt at 98k is the only one listed that still gets in a car and patrols.
    And these are figures with overtime. Not everyone works overtime.

These figures you pulled are just like saying all plastic surgeons make 10 million a year, and then use figures of surgeons out in Beverly hills.

Pull some figures for FLORIDA leos and see what your crystal ball says. Texas, Wyoming, Montana. I could keep going.
    I do say, you did pull quite an impressive county to show your point.
    Reminiscent of something jp1k would do.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    The standard for someone carrying should be to WALK AWAY. Find another seat, .....leave. I bet he's wishing he exercised SOME other option at this point.

I agree completely...the last thing a CCW holder should do is put him/herself in a confrontational situation where a weapon might need to be pulled and used. The seems to be a case of mano mas macho. The ex-LEO should have walked away and gotten the manager (he evidently tried to but didn't have the patience to wait until the manager finished with another customer).

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    People are talking like this guy was thinking rationally. He obviously has issues and it's not because he was a cop.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    People are talking like this guy was thinking rationally. He obviously has issues and it's not because he was a cop.

Nope, cops never have issues because they are cops. The power they receive never gives them the ability to abuse said power. Nope, I never saw my friend blatantly run red lights and speed well beyond the speed limit after graduating the academy. Nope, all cops are good cops. Only profession in the world where everybody is good.

Based upon some recent reports, it does appear that the guy did have some issues. So, now we need some yearly mental exams for CCW holders. Simply put, this is bad any way you slice it, and the more recent news reports aren't very good at all. Then again, the news reports for Zimmerman were never good either. Time will tell how this all turns out. One thing is for sure though, he is being held without bail and there was nobody on top of him beating him silly.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Nope, cops never have issues because they are cops. The power they receive never gives them the ability to abuse said power. Nope, I never saw my friend blatantly run red lights and speed well beyond the speed limit after graduating the academy. Nope, all cops are good cops. Only profession in the world where everybody is good.

Yeah. old curmudgeon retirees don't go sideways either, do they?

How did you see your young police academy grad do all this speeding and red light running?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

How did you see your young police academy grad do all this speeding and red light running?

While following behind him in my car. He was gone in 60 seconds. A left out of his neighborhood, speeds down the road, then a left on a full red. No way I could follow him after that. My brothers, who are better friends with him, confirmed the same stuff on many more occasions.

If you are even going to try to tell me that NO LEO has ever abused their power, you might as well stop right now. It would be the same as me trying to convince you that no attorney has ever lied.

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013

Based upon some recent reports, it does appear that the guy did have some issues. So, now we need some yearly mental exams for CCW holders. Simply put, this is bad any way you slice it, and the more recent news reports aren't very good at all. Then again, the news reports for Zimmerman were never good either. Time will tell how this all turns out. One thing is for sure though, he is being held without bail and there was nobody on top of him beating him silly.

But the guys around here say the actions of fellow ccw holders don't reflect on the rest of us..... :sarcasm:

My dad used to always say "show me a cop and I will show you someone breaking the law". He is about as law and order as it gets. Its just a stereotype but you know what they say about stereotypes.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    While following behind him in my car. He was gone in 60 seconds. A left out of his neighborhood, speeds down the road, then a left on a full red. No way I could follow him after that. My brothers, who are better friends with him, confirmed the same stuff on many more occasions.

If you are even going to try to tell me that NO LEO has ever abused their power, you might as well stop right now. It would be the same as me trying to convince you that no attorney has ever lied.

I'm not saying that in the least. Just opposite from you. You are saying ALL cops are bad. Must have gotten butthurt at some point by one.
    But, maybe I'll say this differently....
    At what point was this retiree acting under the color of law and abusing his position?

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

Dont worry, he's gonna get himself banned again soon. He can't control himself. Probably why he hates cops. Couldnt get hired.

Tito

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Baltimore County
    The shooter was wrong. I shook my head, when I read he is claiming he was fearful of his life. I guess he wasn't fearful of wife's safety, when he left the theater to attempt to complain?? We don't know the entire story, but we can agree he didn't show the necessary self control or situational awareness to prevent this tragic event.

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit

I'm not saying that in the least. Just opposite from you. You are saying ALL cops are bad.

That's not what he's saying at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom