• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    If you can afford it...

Exactly!

The thing is; some people CAN'T afford better. So they go with what they can afford. That's why it pisses me off when these self-aggrandizing spot lite seekers, put bypass information out there to the world "in the interest of 'better security'".

The truth is, some people simply can't afford "better security". And it is those people who are hurt by people like Tobias.

(If anyone is starting to think that I respond to the mere mention of the name Tobias like a Pavlovian dog, you're right.)

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    In a coupe cases, that's true. But he "went public" at the same time.

Also, some things that he's done his so-called "public service" videos and lectures on are things that there IS no real world solution for.

I'd venture to say that I have much more experience with Mr Tobias than most here. And trust me when I tell you "it's all about HIM" and his quests for repeated "fifteen minutes of fame".

There is a VERY popular residential door knob lock that is easily bypassed with a paperclip. The manufacture is aware of it, as are many in my industry. Do you see me broadcasting it to the world, in a veiled attempt at self publicity - thereby compromising the security of hundreds of thousands of families with that lock on their door, in the process?

No. I keep my mouth shut about it, because announcing it to the world does more harm than good to the people who have those locks on their door.

If most people knew what really stood between them and the person on the other side of the door, they wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

There is no lock that nobody can break into. There are some that are better than others. But not everybody can afford a $200+ lock for their front door. Why make the ones who can't, even more vulnerable?

Exactly!

The thing is; some people CAN'T afford better. So they go with what they can afford. That's why it pisses me off when these self-aggrandizing spot lite seekers, put bypass information out there to the world "in the interest of 'better security'".

The truth is, some people simply can't afford "better security". And it is those people who are hurt by people like Tobias.

(If anyone is starting to think that I respond to the mere mention of the name Tobias like a Pavlovian dog, you're right.)

Aye, understood. I'm on the fence about "keeping it quiet." Informed conscent vs "oh sh!t, I didn't know it was faulty" - the referenced police officer and his 3-year-old son being the reason for me flip-flopping on this subject.

Either way, I think I'm going to replace the one I have (StackOn QAS-450). the solenoid or whatever that opens it is too slow. I've seen some..uh...let's call them lock boxes, where the door pops open immediately and that is NOT the case with the StackOn.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Exactly!

I assume that has to do with him making the video in the sense that any fool now can easily find how to gain access?

I think on a good note the conceal-ability factor is still a really big functional advantage.

I have two of these. For someone strapped for cash, it's a great buy even if the lock isnt durable. I got them for $32 shipped with a sale. Yes, I can open it with a paperclip, but the big plus is that I can also put it at the bottom in a drawer with tons of clothes, or dress it as a book since criminals don't read (despite what the City of Baltimore may say).

I don't think nearly as highly of it as a Fort Knox or even intermediate models, but relative to its price it beats nothing and is great for hiding. I think for most people the Fort Knox is the best bet. At like $140 shipped, I am guessing for most shooters here that's chump change versus other gun expenses like the gun or ammo or shooting supplies, and it's a one-time expense (shame ammo isnt). I think the Fort Knox is probably cheaper in the long run as I imagine its service life will far outlast most of the electronic and biometric systems with more moving parts, electric currents, and a requirement for a ton of components to run in sync.

I've considered trying a lock replacement with one of my StackOns, since that's really the biggest concern for that type of product. Perhaps go to an all-keyed system with a lock that isn't quite as easy to pick or be damaged or fail. I imagine something crude but usable would maybe take an hour between Home Depot and the house and maybe 20 bucks, give or take?

pseudonym

Mar 4, 2013
    HoCo
    I can't find anything about the safe, but the key design might be weak. The box looks like it uses that style of key.

Scary stuff but are all barrel locks that easy to pick? I don't know much about them but I hope only the lower end ones are prone to this problem. Is there anyway to determine to quality of a barrel lock? Maybe I'll take a pen tube to Home Depot and see if I can open the display model.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    "Tubular" key locks, (also known as "Ace" key locks, because they were the original brand) can be easy to pick or next to impossible. It all depends on who made it.

They do make special picks for them that will work on most of the better ones. It's only the very cheapest ones that you can open with the "Bic pen" trick.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Scary stuff but are all barrel locks that easy to pick? I don't know much about them but I hope only the lower end ones are prone to this problem. Is there anyway to determine to quality of a barrel lock? Maybe I'll take a pen tube to Home Depot and see if I can open the display model.

Earlier posts in this thread have a link to a video from "Defcon 19" - a securuty trade show. The speaker discusses several types of locks and the pros/cons of each type.

pseudonym

Mar 4, 2013
    HoCo
    Earlier posts in this thread have a link to a video from "Defcon 19" - a securuty trade show. The speaker discusses several types of locks and the pros/cons of each type.

Good info but I assume that any lock can be opened with the right tool. At the end of the video it appears as though someone opened the cross lock, the one the speaker never got opened. I guess you could do as he did and replace the tubular lock with and Abloy. Is there any way to tell if a tubular lock is one of the better ones?

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Not all of the "good ones" have something written on them. But if they say "Ace", "Ace II", or "GEM", you're GTG.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The good news is that 9/10 times the guy breaking into your house is a pill head trying to score some oxy or cash rather than some criminal mastermind with a bag full of expert picks.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    I would vote for a trip to one or two safe shops. You just might be able to jump up a few rungs in quality for a really good used safe.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Anyone seen this one? It's expensive as heck but I really like the concept:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxEP7U7cp5U

Wow. Thanks for that, that is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. I might get one when I have some more disposable income.

For me, however, I'd need a second gun in a simplex or other quick access safe just in case, cause I never want to rely on electronics like this safe does. But man, what an awesome concept!! Love it.

As gun owners we really do have an obligation to keep our guns safe from people who shouldn't have access to them, but we also want to be able to get to them relatively quickly in the event of a break-in. I'm glad we have products like these to bridge that gap.

I am going to make a purchase shortly because I don't own a quick access handgun safe yet. Mine are kept in a slightly larger, non quick-access safe. Of course, I don't live with children so I would be somewhat comfortable leaving a handgun in a nightstand. Still, I like them locked up at all times. I haven't read through this whole thread yet, but from what I've gathered over the last year, gunvaults can be faulty, and I should probably go with a Ft. Knox or a FAS1.

Gonna start looking!

1ceman

Dec 26, 2013
    I can't find anything about the safe, but the key design might be weak. The box looks like it uses that style of key.

As they said on Defcon 19, you can always change out the lock for one better.

Anyone seen this one? It's expensive as heck but I really like the concept:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxEP7U7cp5U

Wow. Thanks for that, that is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. I might get one when I have some more disposable income.

This safe has got flaws as well. My brother in law knows the people behind the design, how ever cool, it has flaws as well. It works off of RF technology which can be hacked or even jammed. No different than wanting a RF controlled gun (ie. bracelet or ring)
    I guess it depends on what your individual needs are.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    In a coupe cases, that's true. But he "went public" at the same time.

Also, some things that he's done his so-called "public service" videos and lectures on are things that there IS no real world solution for.

I'd venture to say that I have much more experience with Mr Tobias than most here. And trust me when I tell you "it's all about HIM" and his quests for repeated "fifteen minutes of fame".

There is a VERY popular residential door knob lock that is easily bypassed with a paperclip. The manufacture is aware of it, as are many in my industry. Do you see me broadcasting it to the world, in a veiled attempt at self publicity - thereby compromising the security of hundreds of thousands of families with that lock on their door, in the process?

No. I keep my mouth shut about it, because announcing it to the world does more harm than good to the people who have those locks on their door.

If most people knew what really stood between them and the person on the other side of the door, they wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

There is no lock that nobody can break into. There are some that are better than others. But not everybody can afford a $200+ lock for their front door. Why make the ones who can't, even more vulnerable?

There is a case of really good beer in it for you if you can pick my abloy protec. :D

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I am a bit confused on that one. It looks like he used the key to get the cylinder out. If he had the key .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom