• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dlmarion

Feb 6, 2013
    Carroll County
    It looks like the bio instructions in the manual cover the differences from the standard and deluxe models. If you did not try it, I would give it a try and see if it works.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    GV 2000 Bio manual

Just to share my manual. Mine says all models, but it is not in there. Hmmm. I will return with the results. :banghead:

Attachments

• GunVaultManualAll.pdf
      309.3 KB · Views: 89
    Last edited:

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Looking at getting a Ft. Knox[1]. Question: It appears that there is only one way to open the safe (no key release). If you forget your combo, then what? Do they have to use a torch to get it open and ruin the contents?

[1] http://www.ftknox.com/product/personal-pistol-box/

I have one and it's a great box. Write down the combo somewhere you won't forget. I'd hate to have to break into that box; it would take a while with a cutting wheel, especially since mine is security bolted to a shelf.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I have one and it's a great box. Write down the combo somewhere you won't forget. I'd hate to have to break into that box; it would take a while with a cutting wheel, especially since mine is security bolted to a shelf.

Great pistol box. But don't kid yourself. That's a 60 second opening.
    :innocent0

Publius

Mar 18, 2013
    Ellicott City
    I have a VLine box, which uses an all mechanical, and programmable, simplex lock. I bought it because it's all mechanical, i.e. no batteries needed. But yes, you need to memorize the button sequence. When I got it, years back, seemed like the only one offering the simplex lock. Now there are different companies offering gun boxes with the simplex lock. Some offer a spring-loaded lid, which is a pretty nice feature to have. I bolted mine to my nightstand drawer. Obviously even a smash-and-grab could walk away with the drawer, although that may draw good attention outside. My primary goals though were to have the firearm as close to me as possible and to have a child-proof arrangement. If you bolt it to a closet shelf, it's a bit more smash-and-grab resistant, but on the other hand it is not next to you.

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    I use the Shot Lock vaults and like them. You can purchase online at Costco. I prefer the simplex lock mechanisms as I don't want to trust the batteries. Plus I feel I can open them quicker.

A Tip for those with unwanted vaults: Don't discard them! I place a few around my house as decoys for a potential thief. Inside I put some rocks to simulate the weight of a handgun. The hope is they will go for the easy target and leave my big safe alone. If they spend anytime breaking in to the vault inside my home the gig is up but I am hoping this never happens!

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Oh, I'm well aware there is no such thing as completely secure. Is there a better pistol box you'd recommend?

I have basically the same thing. Heavy gauge steel box with a Simplex lock. But the locking bolt on the Fort Knox looks a little more substantial.

You have to remember, it's just a locking box to keep a pistol away from kids and the casual thief. It's not a "safe".

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Here's a repost of the Mark Tobias video testing several models of StackOn and Sentry safes. It's about 45 minutes, but worth it.

Kinda sucks for the guy that ones one of those safes, hasn't seen the video, but the crackhead down the street just watched that it on friggin' YOUTUBE.

Tobias is an attention whore. (IMVHO)

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Kinda sucks for the guy that ones one of those safes, hasn't seen the video, but the crackhead down the street just watched that it on friggin' YOUTUBE.

Tobias is an attention whore. (IMVHO)

Maybe, but security through obscurity is not a worthy goal in in any discipline. Given the intended purpose of these boxes, I believe they are defective by design and those flaws should be corrected.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Corrected? Absolutely!

But the way to correct them is to go (privately) to the manufacturer. But he wouldn't get his "15 minutes of fame".

I'm not for one second saying "ignore the problem". I'm just saying that you don't put it out there to the general public, where every punk B&E guy with a computer can see it, and add it to their repertoire.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I read somewhere that Mark or someone else who wrote about this did contact the manufacturers and they have pretty much ignored the warnings.

I have one similar (same lock, just a different model) and while money isn't cheap, I may try it to see if the problem is still there. I just bought it in Feb. Mark's video is 1 1/2 years old. But I've seen this problem posted on other sites.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Looking at getting a Ft. Knox[1]. Question: It appears that there is only one way to open the safe (no key release). If you forget your combo, then what? Do they have to use a torch to get it open and ruin the contents?

[1] http://www.ftknox.com/product/personal-pistol-box/

No, a force in that breaks the lock is probably what would be done before using any sort of heat cutting. It's not hard to gain access. It's far better than a GunVault/Bulldog/StackOn/etc. in which you can drop on the ground and have them open, or trick them to open using a paper clip, screwdriver, or magnet (or biometrics which are generally even worse), but it's still not a box providing any major level of security. Standard M2 high-speed steel drill bits will penetrate its steel pretty easily and cobalt drill bits will eat through it in seconds.

Contacting a safe expert is probably the best means for any more expensive item when it comes to gaining access when combo/key is lost. They have many ways at minimizing the cost and degree of invasiveness that wind up costing a lot less than DIY break-ins. (I can speak to that first-hand :o)

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Here's a repost of the Mark Tobias video testing several models of StackOn and Sentry safes. It's about 45 minutes, but worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Wzt0vJvOI

Realistically, when we look at StackOn, Sentry, GunVault, BullDog, etc., I think one thing we should do is consider the price relative to the product. I am one of the worst offenders here as I sometimes forget the whole price part, which is pretty important.

They may be very useful, but the video helps make it clear as to their intended purposes. They provide a storage solution, with a very small amount of security. Is it sufficient security to keep children out? My opinion is that it is not. I also don't think they are reliable enough to trust a life to versus something such as the Simplex lock, given the failure rate of biometric and electronic locks are going to be many times higher than a Simplex. The basic design of the Fort Knox, the slightly thicker steel, the better welds, locking bar, and the reliable and proven lock IMO make it a great option in that particular class, within reasonable expectations of that kind of a product. But the Fort Knox cost 4 times that of a StackOn. So there is a trade off in the game of value versus security & quality.

I have a few large StackOn cabinets I keep things like ammo, parts, cheaper heirlooms, etc. inside of. For $50, its a lot of cabinet for the money. While it's minimal security, it serves that function well. I have zero expectations for them to resist any sort of fire or penetration attack...for important items I want to keep out of the hands of even skilled and determined criminals, they go inside of an appropriate TL-rated safe.

Nonetheless, regardless of what handgun vault on goes with, the top security feature of these products is conceal-ability. Keeping them in hard-to-find areas is, IMHO, a must. None of these are going to keep a person out for any meaningful amount of time. Making it harder to find delays the time a criminal has before being caught. If they cant find it quickly enough (or at all), a penetration attack may never occur to begin with...

my 2 cents, for what it's worth

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I read somewhere that Mark or someone else who wrote about this did contact the manufacturers and they have pretty much ignored the warnings.

In a coupe cases, that's true. But he "went public" at the same time.

Also, some things that he's done his so-called "public service" videos and lectures on are things that there IS no real world solution for.

I'd venture to say that I have much more experience with Mr Tobias than most here. And trust me when I tell you "it's all about HIM" and his quests for repeated "fifteen minutes of fame".

There is a VERY popular residential door knob lock that is easily bypassed with a paperclip. The manufacture is aware of it, as are many in my industry. Do you see me broadcasting it to the world, in a veiled attempt at self publicity - thereby compromising the security of hundreds of thousands of families with that lock on their door, in the process?

No. I keep my mouth shut about it, because announcing it to the world does more harm than good to the people who have those locks on their door.

If most people knew what really stood between them and the person on the other side of the door, they wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

There is no lock that nobody can break into. There are some that are better than others. But not everybody can afford a $200+ lock for their front door. Why make the ones who can't, even more vulnerable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom