• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Handgun vaults are very similar to gun safes, you get what you pay for. Considerations include speed and ease of access, how it is configured vice where you want to put it, how long would it take the casual burglar to get into it (more likely they'll just try to steal the whole thing), do you only need it to keep your kids safe, do you need lighted key pads to see in the dark, sound or lack of sound it makes, electronic vice simplex locks, and cost. You can buy the very best and pay accordingly. Or go cheap and regret it big time later. There is no one size fits all. It's like buying a firearm. Buy what you like that meets YOUR needs, is reliable, safe, and does what it is supposed to do. Good shopping.

P.S. My primary HD is a shotgun. So the safe I purchased contains my backup, but access is tested weekly.

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    Shotgun box????

Did I miss something?

I know of this, by Amsec. And I really like it! But we have those stupid plastic "totes", full of sheets and stuff all under the bed.

http://www.amsecusa.com/Defense_Vault/

I also don't like the fact that it's an elock. So if I did get her to move the totes (fat chance) I'd replace the lock with a key lock.

It's there. You might get a security certificate warning from the site but here's the link. if the old shotgun in the corner isn't secure/kidproof enough, this looks like an option.
    https://www.ftknox.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=59

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    It's there. You might get a security certificate warning from the site but here's the link. if the old shotgun in the corner isn't secure/kidproof enough, this looks like an option.
    https://www.ftknox.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=59

This shotgun safe would be perfect with a holster attached to the inside of the door for a handgun, swing it open grab the handgun, let loose some hot lead then grab the pump action shotgun. When an intruder hears you rack a round into the shotgun chamber he'll know you mean bidness.

Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    Buy once, cry once. I just got a Fort Knox pistol safe and it's a beast (and made in the USA). The simplex lock is fast, reliable, and probably the best compromise for security. Personally, I wouldn't bother with anything electronic.

Yup...my Fort Knox is a beast, simple, and most importantly has NOTHING electronic...love it!:thumbsup:

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    On the Unicans (big knob/lever set with five vertical buttons in a row, that used to be common on SCIFs) it's often the clutch assembly that is the problem. On the actual "Simplex locks" (five buttons in a circle) it's often the bolt/latch actuator.

The only times I've seen combination chambers (the "business end" of Simplex and Unican locks) fail are either on very "hi traffic" doors or in extremely "dirty" environments. And then it's about 50/50 between the combination chamber and the other problem(s).

(Been working on them for 33+ years)

With electronic locks, OTOH, even with little use, it's just a matter of time.

For something that probably won't be getting used dozens of times a day, that Simplex will out last the elock 20 fold.

Yeah, I remember the Simplex on the door to radio/combat being used constantly. They weren't trouble free on the ship, but I'm sure 99% of the problems could be attributed to overuse and abuse.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Shotgun box????

Did I miss something?

I know of this, by Amsec. And I really like it! But we have those stupid plastic "totes", full of sheets and stuff all under the bed.

http://www.amsecusa.com/Defense_Vault/

I also don't like the fact that it's an elock. So if I did get her to move the totes (fat chance) I'd replace the lock with a key lock.

Fort Knox has (or is coming out with) a shotgun safe too...(a little pricey, I admit)

shotgun_box-500x500.jpg

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    The shotgun safe is interesting. And $399 ain't too bad. If I'm not mistaken, I think the Amsec one is about $750(?).

What I like about it is that is doesn't take up the whole side of underneath the bed. Since it opens at the end, you can lay it across the bed (underneath) and even though it's taking up the same amount of floor space, it's not "in the way".

Might have to think about that.
    :)

Grits

In God I Trust And Live
    Jul 12, 2012
    Frederick
    Handgun vaults are very similar to gun safes, you get what you pay for. Considerations include speed and ease of access, how it is configured vice where you want to put it, how long would it take the casual burglar to get into it (more likely they'll just try to steal the whole thing), do you only need it to keep your kids safe, do you need lighted key pads to see in the dark, sound or lack of sound it makes, electronic vice simplex locks, and cost. You can buy the very best and pay accordingly. Or go cheap and regret it big time later. There is no one size fits all. It's like buying a firearm. Buy what you like that meets YOUR needs, is reliable, safe, and does what it is supposed to do. Good shopping.

P.S. My primary HD is a shotgun. So the safe I purchased contains my backup, but access is tested weekly.

Good advice and will use. I can say I have never been one to go on the cheap. I do believe, maybe fullishly, that you get what you pay for, most of the time. That doesn't mean I look for the highest price item and buy that one. As you say, I look at my needs, the product that meets them, price and quality and what others that own them are saying. For a gun safe, a $200 price range is probably going to be a little overkill and not price justified. I still need to decide on the type of lock though. This lock stuff and how they are/were used is very interesting reading. I'm glad I started this thread. It will help others I am sure. Thanks for all the great input.

I'll let you know what I ended up with.

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    I am a recent buyer of a Stack On biometric.

Yes, I'd read some say the lock didn't work well. I decided to try it myself.

It works. Fine.

Just press a button that lights up the print pad, put your finger on it, and wait 1 second for a beep, then twist open a knob.

It does not work well if you leave the knob in a position twisted all the way toward the open direction. That slight detail took me about 5 minutes to figure out. So you just do not leave it in that condition when you close the safe.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    My Gun Vault works like your Stack On, but I don't have to twist a knob. I have owned for about two months and open it every other day, just to check it out. I have not had any misreads, so I am real happy with that. I just don't like the beep and that slight delay seems kinda long.

By the way, I got it for $240 during a sale at Meijer on-line with free shipping.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    The Fort Knox is best of the more common models, IMHO. Better steel, thicker steel, better welds, a good lock, and a good warranty. I've owned or own models from Sentry, GunVault, Bull Dog, Stack-On, and others...most of which provide virtually zero security beyond the most superficial of attempts, and I can pick the lock of a Stack-On with a paperclip in 10 seconds in the dark or just drop it and it opens. Having had a GunVault have an electric lock fail and seen a video on how simply most are defeated, I tend to like the Simplex designs and Fort Knox's name and reputation speaks for itself. There are a few other models mentioned here which use Simplex locks as well which I have read are fantastic, but they are not as common as others so info on them may be harder to find. Having seen less-than-flawless performance with electronic and biometric locking systems, and having used Simplex locks for years with flawless performance, I tend to favor them for anything that is a life-saving product but only if access is quick enough.

Personally, if I was securing to keep away from children, I would absolutely not buy anything in this class other than a Fort Knox or two other smaller names that make similar quality products. But that's me.

You can also sometimes find some older but hardcore beefy drop-safes of similar size to a mini-vault for a good price. I've seen a few of the old Amsecs which are like 4 gauge steel with (IIRC) Medico keys and I believe a few on the market have Simplex locks (their current electronic model really fails to impress me). These older drop safes are very, very well-built and a little DIY care and you may find your perfect safe here.

Grits

In God I Trust And Live
    Jul 12, 2012
    Frederick
    Ok, I went with the Fort Knox FTK-PB Pistol Box. Amazon had a good price so I went with it. I read a lot of info, other gun sites included and reviews. Right or not, trigger has been pulled.:D

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    The Simplex lock just failed on Mrs. Safetech's pistol box!

The date code on it is April 1994.

The problem? "Somebody" spilled ice tea on it the other day and didn't bother to say anything. Some of it leaked inside through the buttons and gummed it up pretty good.

I've got it partially dissembled. Cleaned it up the best I could. (They don't really come apart) WD-40ed the piss out of it. And let it sit for a while.

After "working" it over and over, it seems to have freed it up.

Working like new again!

Not bad for an almost 20 year old lock.

Grits

In God I Trust And Live
    Jul 12, 2012
    Frederick
    My first thought was You Gotta Be Kidden Me. I'm to polite to laugh for you.

My second thought, well, that should not be a tough job for Mr. SafeTech to fix.

I saw two iPhones take a dip in the pool on the same day. Took them apart, air and blow dried them, both started to work by he end of the day.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Good choice on the Fort Knox Grits!! You will LOVE it and you will have it so long that it's extremely long service interval means you actually save money over a mediocre vault with a much shorter service interval that needs to be replaced or serviced more often. Plus the fast-access and reliable-access the lock brings is amazing. Many people have multiple Pistol Boxes stashed and bolted throughout the place (myself included).

The Simplex lock just failed on Mrs. Safetech's pistol box!

The date code on it is April 1994.

The problem? "Somebody" spilled ice tea on it the other day and didn't bother to say anything. Some of it leaked inside through the buttons and gummed it up pretty good.

I've got it partially dissembled. Cleaned it up the best I could. (They don't really come apart) WD-40ed the piss out of it. And let it sit for a while.

After "working" it over and over, it seems to have freed it up.

Working like new again!

Not bad for an almost 20 year old lock.

Thats one serious service interval! Given the serious reliability the Simplex locks give, I've really come to favor them for fast-access safes given the reliable function of the vault could mean life versus death. A digital keypad and lock opened via a motor and there is just so much more that can go wrong. The doors at my office with Simplex locks are used thousands of times every day and they are reliable as can be. Do Simplex locks need service that the user can do themselves?

Odd OT question and sorry to hijack but have you worked much with biometric locks? I've only extensively used two mid-end brands but I've been able to get them to fail through a few different scenarios, and with people with circulation issues, they seem to be generally less reliable. Some of the physiological changes that happen when someone goes to the fight-flight response also seem to have the potential to impact how well the lock works? Any thoughts on them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom