• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Reviving this thread, it has been dormant for about 10 months.

I am interested in WV land for shooting and general rec. Idealy something within 3 to 4 hours of Baltimore. The ideal lot would have a nice moutain back stop and far spaced neighbors, maybe with a National forest on the border. Any good leads would be appreciated.

Buck Cutter

Jun 18, 2012
    Glenwood / Glenelg 21738
    Hillside farm in WV for sale.

I have a 17.125 Hillside farm in Preston co.,WV for sale. 3.5 to 4 hrs. from Baltimore. It has 2 acres of mature timber. Oak, poplar, beech, hemlock and cherry. About 8 acres of fenced fields. and the remainder in pasture. Deer, rabbit and turkey daily, bear and grouse on occasion. Good neighbors that will allow you to cross on foot to thousands of acres of National Forest. And more National Forest by road than you could hope to hunt in a lifetime just minutes away. About 20 miles from Deepcreek lake. There is also great hunting in Md. 9 miles away

Improvements consist of a 3 bedroom frame farmhouse. Solid and livable but only partially restored. A 30X30 bank barn in bad condition. There is a deeded Right of Way access through an adjourning farm. Which helps keep unwanted visitors at a minimum and makes the property secure.

Firm price is $125K w/o mineral rights, $145K with. Current gas lease with potential for Marsallis in the future.
    Serious inquires only.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    We seriously looked into WV but since there are no jobs for either a musician or accountant that isn't happening. What looks like IS going to happen is (better than 50/50) waterfront in Crisfield, I can live with that. :)

K-9

Apr 12, 2011
    Dumbdalk!
    I'd like to find something cheap. With nothing on it and near the national forests in WV. I'm a survival instructor and I'm tired of using everyone else's property. Need to have my own to train students without having to worry about anything. I would live on the property full time. I would be homesteading and would need a deed right of way to the property or road access. 4x4 only is fine if not preferable. Thanks PM me if you guys know of anything.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I'd like to find something cheap. With nothing on it and near the national forests in WV. I'm a survival instructor and I'm tired of using everyone else's property. Need to have my own to train students without having to worry about anything. I would live on the property full time. I would be homesteading and would need a deed right of way to the property or road access. 4x4 only is fine if not preferable. Thanks PM me if you guys know of anything.

Here is a nice piece of property for sale that might be what you are looking for, 142 acres for 121.5K.

http://www.landsofamerica.com/land-for-sale/142.56-acres-in-Braxton-County-West-Virginia/id/1052354

Vincent

Jul 5, 2012
    Towson
    rights

makes sure you know if you are buying not only the land but all the rights as well. I hate the thought of owning land and having someone else being able to mine, timber, or whatever on land I would own. Sometimes you have to pay extra to get the rights.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    makes sure you know if you are buying not only the land but all the rights as well. I hate the thought of owning land and having someone else being able to mine, timber, or whatever on land I would own. Sometimes you have to pay extra to get the rights.

A lot of places in WV the mineral rights are long gone. Its hard to find property that contains them. Timber rights are another story and definetly should go with the property.

Vincent

Jul 5, 2012
    Towson
    A lot of places in WV the mineral rights are long gone. Its hard to find property that contains them. Timber rights are another story and definetly should go with the property.

I am not clear on this. The mineral rights were sold off so when you potentially buy you cannot get the mineral rights? How does fracking play into this issue? I assume fracking would be decided by who owns the mineral rights. I wouldn't buy land if someone else could come on the property and screw it up.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I am not clear on this. The mineral rights were sold off so when you potentially buy you cannot get the mineral rights? How does fracking play into this issue? I assume fracking would be decided by who owns the mineral rights. I wouldn't buy land if someone else could come on the property and screw it up.

In West Virginia, nearly all mineral rights were sold off more than 100 years ago. Essentially, you own the surface and the oil/natural gas company owns whats underneath. Oil/NG companies have the right to come on your property and set up perminant structures ("pads"), some of which can take up dozens of acres, virtually anywhere they want. It's pretty much the sole reason I gave up my West Virginia land dream a while back.

Here's a suit from 2011. The oil company took 36 of his 105 acres to drill wells. The guy lost.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    BenL,

I didn't see in the article where it said he lost. Anyway, much to my ire, the SCOTUS ruled that they (Government) can take your land if it is in the publics best interest. Usually you still have to be compensated for such. I would think since this man does own the surface that they would have to pay him some kind of rent, and pay him for the trees they took, etc...

As for all the mineral right being sold already, not so. My father still has his mineral rights under his 12 acres and my Uncle still owns his too on his 175 acre farm. They have offered him $3 million and he turned them down.

So some land still has the rights attached.

Vic

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    BenL,

I didn't see in the article where it said he lost. Anyway, much to my ire, the SCOTUS ruled that they (Government) can take your land if it is in the publics best interest. Usually you still have to be compensated for such. I would think since this man does own the surface that they would have to pay him some kind of rent, and pay him for the trees they took, etc...

As for all the mineral right being sold already, not so. My father still has his mineral rights under his 12 acres and my Uncle still owns his too on his 175 acre farm. They have offered him $3 million and he turned them down.

So some land still has the rights attached.

Vic

Yes, some land still has the attached rights, but it is not the majority.
    And also, yes, the owners of those mineral rights have to compensate the land owners if they come on to their property to mine those minerals and are usually required to put the land back into its natural condition when they are finished extracting.

If you can't get the mineral rights with the land you are interested in, try to purchase the land somewhere where there is little chance of someone ever needing to extract a consumable resourse. My farm out there does not have the mineral rights attached, but it is in an area that has a slim chance of having anything of value below the surface.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    As for all the mineral right being sold already, not so.

That's why I wrote, "Nearly all..."

Yes, there is some here and there, but for the most part, finding land with mineral rights in WV is more difficult than not.

The article doesn't say he lost (article is from 2011), but if you do a little research, he lost his case and appealed his loss to SCOTUS.

I still haven't completely given up- my most recent search is based on the same idea as Pushrod's; look for land that has no commercial/mineral value. That property is a LOT cheaper, and I only want it for private hunting land, anyway. My understanding is that it's not the mineral rights that you have to worry about; trespassing locals tend to be a bigger problem.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    Yes, the locals will travel across and use your land as their own. It is a problem.

Pushrod, How do you determine whether there is something under your land of value? Do you go to the state and ask?

Vic

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    My understanding is that it's not the mineral rights that you have to worry about; trespassing locals tend to be a bigger problem.
    This was a problem on our land for a while. If you're an absentee landowner the only real way to deal with it is to find a local you trust to hunt it and help keep an eye on it for you.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Yes, the locals will travel across and use your land as their own. It is a problem.

Pushrod, How do you determine whether there is something under your land of value? Do you go to the state and ask?

Vic

Most of the major coal seams are known, so you can see if a potential piece of land is over those listed seams. For natural gas, most of the deposits are in bottom lands with the majority of those being west of the Elk River, this is where a majority of the fracking takes place also. Oil is found in these same areas. There is no mineral wealth in the form of gold or silver in the mountains of WV, so you're safe in that regard. There are several WV geological sites on line that you can get the information that you need for various areas in WV.

As far as people trespassing, get to know your neighbors and become friends with them, post your property and you'll go a long way to eliminating the instances of trespass.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Hasn't been a lot of great deals around here lately, but I did spot this one this past week:

20-25 acres of land in Duck, WV, $20,000 obo, 304-587-2664.

Duck is right on the Elk River, a very nice area. I haven't seen this property, so I don't know anything about it specifically. Just that $1000 or less/ acre is a good deal anymore.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Pushrod,
    Thanks for the updates. My wife and I are looking for a place to build a cabin that can be used all year, but mainly for spending quality family time during the summer, with ATVs, hiking, fishing etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom