• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Pushrod, I figured you was lonely for fellow Marylanders since you were recruiting to get more up there. Guess you just like to have lots of folks driving real slow and clogging up the roads in the Mountain State. The mineral rights situations are different in different counties, as I said.

You claim "you don't see any of that around me", but your last post on the first page says your place is in Braxton county, and there are certainly Marcellus wells in Braxton; in fact, Lewis County, which is right next to you, if you recall your WV History class, has a high number of wells, and Upshur, which also borders Braxton, has one of the highest concentrations in the entire state. It's easy to lose touch with the mountains living down here in the low lands. My plans are the same as yours with regard to growing old and dying, though. Well, I might try to avoid the growing old part.

Inigoes, you are talking about the older styles of drilling, not Marcellus Shale drilling. Marcellus Shale drilling is an entirely different matter and incredibly destructive and invasive. Some counties have banned it in WV now, (I believe Lewis Cy is one, though it doesn't affect existing wells, I don't believe) and others are working on it. The middle picture on this link shows one rig and it is not even a large one by Marcellus standards. There is an enormous amount of chemicals and water that need to be brought in, which is why the truck traffic is so heavy, and these chemicals and water are continuously being pumped down into the shale, so the traffic never ends.

http://www.wvsoro.org/index.html

Another site with a pic of one on fire:

http://www.wcag-wv.org/W/WellExplosion/content/IMG_2778_large.html

T-Man, sounds like you might be possessed of a guilty conscience.

Braxton County is split by the Elk River which is also the border for the Upland plateau where WV's serious mountains begin. West and North of the of the Elk are the foothills and is where the shale deposites mainly lay (such as Lewis county to the north) South and East the geology changes and the shale quickly peters out. I'm southeast of the Elk and we don't see any of what you describe.
    I don't deny that large energy and commercial interests are raping WV's natural resources and environment and is something all residence of the State should keep a close eye on and a tighter grip.

If you figure out how to skip that aging part, please pass on that secret to me!

Last edited:

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I also would love to own a piece of land in the future just like the ones described, but I would like to add a big +1 to the danger of break-ins on the property. My girlfriend's dad has about 100 acres in Emporia, VA that had a cabin on it. Her granddad built that cabin with his bare hands. The last break-in left some burning wood in the fireplace and the whole cabin (and a few acres of woods) were burned to the ground. Just a personal anecdote for the topic at hand.

Having said that, anyone looking for a cabin-sitter? I promise to keep poachers away!

There's ways to protect against that also. Specially if you have a close friendly relationship with your neighbors.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    I found a map of the Marcellus shale wells, your're pretty much correct about the highlands but it looks as though they do have a few in there, or close by. Looks to me as if there might be a couple across the Elk, but you can check, you might have a better idea than me of how it runs through the county map.

http://www.wvcommerce.org/energy/fossil_energy/marcellusshale.aspx

It's cold comfort, but the big companies are raping every other state with Marcellus as well, from NY to PA and even MD. I wish WV politicians would get more on the ball, but they're as easily bought as politicians anywhere else, and probably cheaper in the bargain.

I'm still working on avoiding getting any older; I have heard of one method, but regrettably it is rather permanent and has several unwelcome side-effects, most notably the fact that shooting is no longer possible and the closest heir gets all your guns.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Good info in here,lately i have been looking at buying some land, I dont want to build on it right away, the hopes are to buy the land while i live here and get it payed off, meanwhile use it for hunting fishing, etc. was thinking 10+ acres. I really dont know the areas real well. Im just looking for something about 3-4 hours away at most. about 50K at most unless there is a cabin or something in place.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Good info in here,lately i have been looking at buying some land, I dont want to build on it right away, the hopes are to buy the land while i live here and get it payed off, meanwhile use it for hunting fishing, etc. was thinking 10+ acres. I really dont know the areas real well. Im just looking for something about 3-4 hours away at most. about 50K at most unless there is a cabin or something in place.

I'll add your parameters to my search and post any that I find. I will update about every two weeks.

The3clipser

Mister Tea
    Nov 29, 2009
    There's ways to protect against that also. Specially if you have a close friendly relationship with your neighbors.

There are no neighbors within a few miles IIRC, and what neighbors there are are all family to the gf. Their place is out there. Really out there.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    A friend of mine is selling 10.5 acres in Pendelton County, right near Cherry Grove. It is surrounded on three sides by National Forest and is all forest. It is steep however - 1400 to 2400 feet in a bit under 3000'. Beautiful spot to put a cabin up on the top (some road access up there) and hunt in the woods around it. Several natural springs in the property.

He is asking $11,500. PM me if interested or have questions.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Here are a few more:

F.S. - 18.6 acres for sale. Turkey Run Rd. near Ravenswood. $33,000 304-904-0988

F.S. - 91 acres in Lincoln Co., 25 min to Charls. 25 min. to St. Albans, 1/8 mile borders quiet paved road, one entrance from Rt 214 & Garrets Bend Rd., power and gas, several gd bldg locations, gd hunting., $76,000 552-0114

F.S. - In Mason County, 30 acre farm, located in Mt Alto, 2 barns, mobile home, $98,000, 304-895-3801.

Patent Guy

Rifleman
    Sep 1, 2010
    AA County
    A friend of mine is selling 10.5 acres in Pendelton County, right near Cherry Grove. It is surrounded on three sides by National Forest and is all forest. It is steep however - 1400 to 2400 feet in a bit under 3000'. Beautiful spot to put a cabin up on the top (some road access up there) and hunt in the woods around it. Several natural springs in the property.

He is asking $11,500. PM me if interested or have questions.

PM Sent.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    My last name is Weitzel....I learned Friday that there is a Wetzel county WV
    My first name is Barton ....I learned Friday that there is a town in Wetzel county named Burton.

its fate; Kismet; synchronicity; pre-ordained by God even.

I must have it.....

Patent Guy

Rifleman
    Sep 1, 2010
    AA County
    Wetzel County, been there & it's nice

My first name is Barton ....I learned Friday that there is a town in Wetzel county named Burton.

I must have it.....

Just south of the Morgantown Area there are some nice mountains and riverfront. Like any other area, there is good and less good, so you'll have to choose what's right for you.

Nixon

Jun 28, 2010

I must have it.....

Move there and run for mayor.

mrglassworm

May 20, 2011
    Good info in here,lately i have been looking at buying some land, I dont want to build on it right away, the hopes are to buy the land while i live here and get it payed off, meanwhile mountain home properties use it for hunting fishing, etc. was thinking 10+ acres....

It always safer to research well before investing otherwise most of the time the land also comes with all the wrong spots and areas.

Last edited:

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Just a thought...with the new septic systems laws about to be enacted by MD, can we even find something like this any more that we could actually build a home on in this state?????

sskijr

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2008
    Found this ad on craigslist.

44.5 acres in Oak Hill W.V. Looking to trade our $20,000 in equity, Plus take over mortgage of $36,000.

Property has about four to seven places for a home and is surrounded by other large parcels of land. Rt. 61 is one of the boarders of the land and has all utilities available (water, electric, and sewer). The land is about 1500 ft. by 1600 ft. It is located in Fayette County . Most activities are well within ½ an hour ride (White water rafting, rock climbing, Skiing, horseback riding, hiking , fishing). The land was select timbered 6-7 years ago. Hunt on your own property. Four wheeling can be done on the timber roads they made to remove the timber. The property does have a Family cemetery on it. In addition there is a gas well on the property that you MAY be able to arrange free gas.
    WE are open to almost any trade of equal value.
    Some examples are:
    Cottage.
    Build a wood workshop (20x 40) in Baltimore area.
    Vacation
    Class A RV

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/bar/2539631363.html

Seems like a good deal, just west of Lexington, Va. I have property near there and it is a beautiful area.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Found this ad on craigslist.

44.5 acres in Oak Hill W.V. Looking to trade our $20,000 in equity, Plus take over mortgage of $36,000.

Property has about four to seven places for a home and is surrounded by other large parcels of land. Rt. 61 is one of the boarders of the land and has all utilities available (water, electric, and sewer). The land is about 1500 ft. by 1600 ft. It is located in Fayette County . Most activities are well within ½ an hour ride (White water rafting, rock climbing, Skiing, horseback riding, hiking , fishing). The land was select timbered 6-7 years ago. Hunt on your own property. Four wheeling can be done on the timber roads they made to remove the timber. The property does have a Family cemetery on it. In addition there is a gas well on the property that you MAY be able to arrange free gas.
    WE are open to almost any trade of equal value.
    Some examples are:
    Cottage.
    Build a wood workshop (20x 40) in Baltimore area.
    Vacation
    Class A RV

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/bar/2539631363.html

Seems like a good deal, just west of Lexington, Va. I have property near there and it is a beautiful area.

That's a good price and it is indeed a pretty area. That is less than an hour south of where I'm at. Oak hill is just a bit south of Fayetteville which is a really nice little town with all of the amenities you could ever want. There is indeed alot to do in that area, especially with the Gualey and New rivers in your back yard.

mh53gunner

Dec 17, 2009
    I have land in West Virginia just outside of Keyser and 45 min from Winchester Va. I don't have to worry about the neighbors since we all are rellated. Hell I think everyone in WV is related. Right cousin?

Some adjoining property was sold to a developer and city people have built houses there. We have our own informal shooting range and do a ton of blastin. One of the new neighbors called the Sheriff and complained about the noise. The Sheriff visited the complainer and told them " This is West Virginia, everyone shoots and has guns. If you don't like the shooting and noise then move back to Fairfax County where ya came from"

We did have problems with people tearing up the property and illegal hunting. A call to the local Game Warden and a signed piece of paper allowing him to hunt on the property has taken care of all the riff raff.

We have game cameras all over the place and get some nice pics of those who tresspass.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    We have a few acres near Preston county/Rawlsburg that is off the "hardtop" roads.
    Closest hieghbor is almost 2 miles away.

Things I found that help.
    Make freinds with your neighbors.
    Visit them whenever your at your property to just shoot the breeze,small talk whatever.
    My first meeting was finding nieghbor stuck in ditch along access road. Stoped,drove him to farm to get his tractor so he could pull his car out.
    We allways ride the 4 wheelers up to visit them when up the cabin.
    Join them at the local watering hole. Doing this will get you interduced to everyone in the area so first impressions count. Buying a round or two helps.
    Possibly allow them to hunt your land. This usually results in less poaching and deer carcass's laying around.
    It also somewhat guarentees your tree stands won't be detroyed and your get pretty good hunting info when at local watering hole.
    Any contract work needed. Farm out to the locals.
    When we needed the fountaion dug. Hired guy up the road to do it.
    When we had the well put in. Hired another local.
    Now you become in a small way part of the community in their view.
    Buy materials for projects. Don't haul them up. buy locally.
    We keep a 55 gallon trash can only used for empty cans at entrance to property with the understanding that nieghbor emptys it to turn in for scrap aluminum.
    Maybe we're in the right area or just lucky. But aside from some poaching a few years back. Never had problems since.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom