• ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Nope.
    Tap rack bang.
    So, in other words, not a true double action with second strike capability. I know some people are less than convinced this is a big deal, but I've had enough primer issues that I tend to appreciate the convenience of having it. Not necessarily a deal breaker - I have plenty of SA guns.

(IIRC, the FiveseveN is a striker-fired gun with true DA, so I was under the impression such creatures exist.)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Ok, let me rephrase the question... if the primer fails to ignite, can I just pull the trigger again and have something happen?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

sure!(if you pull the slide about 1/2" back to reset the striker)

EngageSmith

Industry Partner
    May 31, 2011
    Kensington, MD
    So, in other words, not a true double action with second strike capability. I know some people are less than convinced this is a big deal, but I've had enough primer issues that I tend to appreciate the convenience of having it. Not necessarily a deal breaker - I have plenty of SA guns.

(IIRC, the FiveseveN is a striker-fired gun with true DA, so I was under the impression such creatures exist.)

IMO if you get a misfire at a range you should clear the chamber and check for an obstruction. If you're using quality ammunition, the only time you should get a "click" and not a "bang" is if the chamber is empty. If you're having primer issues, you should either use new primers in reloading or select a different cartridge for that particular firearm.

If your life is on the line, you most likely have a dud round, or an empty chamber. Either way you want to get that slide to the rear, inspect the chamber, and if your mag is empty, replace it and keep rolling.

Double action was invented in revolvers to cycle the cylinder and fire the rounds in the cylinder, an excellent invention. From what I understand, nearly every police department in the US carried them, and many removed the single action notch from the hammer to reduce liability from single-action triggers being squeezed under stressed. When semi-autos became widely accepted as dependable sidearms (1911 and other single-actions aside) for police use, a double action trigger was necessary to sell them as "safe" for your average cop.

This "second strike" capability is kind of a farce as far as I see it. The only way to know if it works, is for the cartridge in your weapon to partially fail, with the second, double-action (and typically weaker) strike giving it a CHANCE to set it off. Too much to risk. Ask me about my Taurus 709 slim that had light strikes in the primary firing mode... I pulled the trigger 100 times each on two different "dud" rounds in "second strike" mode and the primer was never ignited. Put the round in another gun and they went off without a hitch. Granted, that gun was a horrible piece of crap but it really opened my eyes to that whole concept of the "second strike".

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    IMO if you get a misfire at a range you should clear the chamber and check for an obstruction. If you're using quality ammunition, the only time you should get a "click" and not a "bang" is if the chamber is empty. If you're having primer issues, you should either use new primers in reloading or select a different cartridge for that particular firearm.

If your life is on the line, you most likely have a dud round, or an empty chamber. Either way you want to get that slide to the rear, inspect the chamber, and if your mag is empty, replace it and keep rolling.

Double action was invented in revolvers to cycle the cylinder and fire the rounds in the cylinder, an excellent invention. From what I understand, nearly every police department in the US carried them, and many removed the single action notch from the hammer to reduce liability from single-action triggers being squeezed under stressed. When semi-autos became widely accepted as dependable sidearms (1911 and other single-actions aside) for police use, a double action trigger was necessary to sell them as "safe" for your average cop.

This "second strike" capability is kind of a farce as far as I see it. The only way to know if it works, is for the cartridge in your weapon to partially fail, with the second, double-action (and typically weaker) strike giving it a CHANCE to set it off. Too much to risk. Ask me about my Taurus 709 slim that had light strikes in the primary firing mode... I pulled the trigger 100 times each on two different "dud" rounds in "second strike" mode and the primer was never ignited. Put the round in another gun and they went off without a hitch. Granted, that gun was a horrible piece of crap but it really opened my eyes to that whole concept of the "second strike".

Reloads with primers not set deep enough. I pulled the trigger on the p99 and nothing. I knew the barrel was clear(saw hole from shot before) so i figured i'd give it another press. BOOM. I'm guessing the primer wasn't set deep enough, the first hit pushed it in and that play was enough to keep the relatively hard primer from lighting off, the second pull popped it. Of course that was just d!cking around on the range, for defensive use a tap/rack/bang would be better.

As for the taurus's, i've seen more than a few who's double-action sear drops waaaay too early. It seems the timing on DA is completely different from gun to gun. On single action, the striker indicator is clearly seen from the back, on DA, the striker indicator doesn't even show the striker being drawn back. For some, it seemed as though it was only drawing it 1/4 of the full draw stroke before dropping it. No es bueno.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I was there last night, and handled the .40. I liked it and ordered the 9mm 1st edition.

Yup, ! first edition ppq ordered last night it was still in stock at the distrubitor and will be in soon.

it was nice meeting you last night! John Wayne nights are always a little bit crazy at the shop! sorry you missed the popcorn:)

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    Yup, ! first edition ppq ordered last night it was still in stock at the distrubitor and will be in soon.

it was nice meeting you last night! John Wayne nights are always a little bit crazy at the shop! sorry you missed the popcorn:)

Great to hear about the gun! I won't ask what a John Wayne night is...

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Great to hear about the gun! I won't ask what a John Wayne night is...

we were watching Big Jake last night then we watched Quigley down under
    a couple times a month I bring in moves and the colorful locals order pizza or make pop corn. its a fun time in the old gun shop:)

A friend of mine picked one up the other day from 2A Sales upon my recommendation based upon this thread and she loves it. She shot my HKs, SIGs, TRP 1911, G17 & G22, and P99. She didn't like any of them. So thank you to Clandestine and Mark @ 2A for the input and finding a nice pistol a very happy new owner. She'll be back for more!:party29:

Last edited:

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I took my PPQ out today for her first range trip. We put 150 rounds down range, and she functioned flawlessly. The gun is extremely accurate and ergonomic, but it's best feature is definitely the trigger. The super short reset is incredible. The trigger made me a better shooter than I am. I absolutely love the Walther PPQ; it's currently my favorite handgun. Believe the hype people. All the positive things said about this pistol are true.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I recently purchased a .40 PPQ and it is one of the top 3 semi auto's ive ever fired. The ergonomics of the PPQ make the weapon feel like an extension of your hand. 2500+ rounds and ZERO(0) FTF or FTE

Tylenator

May 18, 2012
    Carroll County
    I picked up my PPQ from continental arms today. 99 rounds downrange outta the box (bc I dropped one and it rolled downrange, whoopsie), no FTF or FTE. Flawless. Everything I read in reviews I can vouch for. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this gun. It's perfect in every way. I dont wanna beat a dead horse by repeating what everyone else has already said about it... But I'll say the hype is true! Go buy one!

Attachments

• image-4173612413.jpg
      image-4173612413.jpg
      70.2 KB · Views: 146

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    I believe that is all... Went from ambidextrous to reversible, I emailed Comp-tac about holster compatibiity.

I made a bigger deal out of it than what it is, but I do not feel like it is an improvement...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom