• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    FIFY:D

In regard to the thread topic:

A message to all, don't hold your breath and get all excited about this b'cuz unless there is a MAJOR shift to the Right in the National political scene (White House, Senate, and House), those 1911-A1's will rust and crumble into ferrous dust before they ever come into this country.

The difference here though is that they already are in the country. These are not ex-Korean or Turkish or whatever, according to the news item, they are US Army pistols. Still a lot of hurdles to get these to CMP and into the hands of collectors, but fewer than if they had to be imported.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    There's a lot of discussion, but nothing definitive, on the CMP Facebook page and it's a topic on their forum pages. There's the issue of getting the bill through the Congress and signed by the President and there's the related issue of amending the CMP charter to allow the selling of handguns.

I caught up over on the CMP forums. This is a good short version of it - the bill's been introduced, now the other 3 (or 4 or 5) steps need to happen. Pass bill, get bill signed by POTUS, convince CMP director to modify CMP charter, modify CMP charter.

And then work out the procedures for how the sales will be managed. Not impossible, but a lot of weak links in that chain of events. So I'm not holding my breath.

It would be nice, but...

:shrug:

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    I caught up over on the CMP forums. This is a good short version of it - the bill's been introduced, now the other 3 (or 4 or 5) steps need to happen. Pass bill, get bill signed by POTUS, convince CMP director to modify CMP charter, modify CMP charter.

And then work out the procedures for how the sales will be managed. Not impossible, but a lot of weak links in that chain of events. So I'm not holding my breath.

It would be nice, but...

bill number?

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    FIFY:D

In regard to the thread topic:

A message to all, don't hold your breath and get all excited about this b'cuz unless there is a MAJOR shift to the Right in the National political scene (White House, Senate, and House), those 1911-A1's will rust and crumble into ferrous dust before they ever come into this country.

The article was not clear about where these pistols are except for the relatively few which were sent overseas. Why would the US taxpayer have any responsibility for firearms used and stored by another country? Not that it makes any difference in the political climate.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    The article was not clear about where these pistols are except for the relatively few which were sent overseas. Why would the US taxpayer have any responsibility for firearms used and stored by another country? Not that it makes any difference in the political climate.
    I assume the much discussed Korean M1's are in Korea. We didn't want a sovereign nation to actually have to pay for something when we could make our own taxpayers or their grand children foot the bill. So I suspect they are ours.
    They may be rusting away in Manilla, or they may well be stored at the Pima Airbase in AZ but they are still likely to rust away before the political climate changes. For that matter so will we.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    bill number?

It's actually an amendment to the FY16 National Defense Authorization: HR1735, Amendment 061

That might increase its odds, actually - the House version of the NDA is out of committee, not scheduled for a floor vote yet (status here) but did pass committee 60-2. If they can keep the amendment in there if they have to reconcile with anything from the Senate, it will be hard for the prez to veto the whole thing.

Not that an Executive Order couldn't be twisted around to block that one amendment, these fvckers like to do that, but it's more realistically possible than lots of stuff I've found on the interwebs...

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Even though it's still mostly just a pipe-dream, I'm making an appointment tomorrow to sell my blood....all of it. Then, I'm off to the CMP to get in queue....

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    92,000 pistols won't last long. I'd bet they will be sold out in less than a week. It would be nice if they sold to C&R license holders only. I can't see where they would want to deal with the whole FFL issues. Waiting for the FFL to fax their license, then matching it to the actual buyer. That would be 92,000 huge headaches.

FIFY

The difference here though is that they already are in the country. These are not ex-Korean or Turkish or whatever, according to the news item, they are US Army pistols. Still a lot of hurdles to get these to CMP and into the hands of collectors, but fewer than if they had to be imported.

Gotcha'. But don't holdja' breath on this one.

It would be nice, but...

Weak links??? The libtard gubment.

If by some stroke of luck and miracle that the Red Sea parts at the raising of Moses's hands again in the future and the guns are magically released for sale by the CMP, don't expect any bargains as they will most likely be priced at market price of the time.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Waiting for the FFL to fax their license, then matching it to the actual buyer. That would be a huge headache.

Its done all the time by dealers like AIM, Classic, Southern Ohio Gun etc. It would be just like a Garand, you just add the FFL document as a requirement.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    CMP ships directly to customer's doors, with no FFL required.
    This is by congressional exemption.

No Maryland HQL required for handguns over 50 years old.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    CMP ships directly to customer's doors, with no FFL required.
    This is by congressional exemption.

No Maryland HQL required for handguns over 50 years old.

How convenient, and although I have my HQL I'd love to make a purchase NOT using it just for the FU OweMalley/Demarco/Vallario/Brochin/Zirkin . . . factor. Besides, I like 1911's and history :) I'm in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom