Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OK, Mosin #2 re-visit to the range.
    I shimmed up the action with brass shims and put some paper gasket with oil to bed the stock and handguard. Something I've done before. The nick on the crown was taken care of. I used an 11 degree crowning tool. The edges of the rifling are not that sharp but I can see them at the crown now. I drifted the sight a tad back to the right and I have a piece of shrink tubing cause it was still shooting high. After I messed with the front sight, I took a 5 shot group from the bench letting it cool 1 minute between shots.
    I'm darn happy with the results. As mentioned before I took care of the action with a reamer on the chamber and the bolt closes and opens REALLY SMOOTH. No rubber mallet needed here. However, I said to my self I was going to order 2 and keep the most interesting one and this is not it. Gonna put this up in the classifieds soon. This one is a total mixmaster, nothing matches. Butt plate hangs over the edge of the stock. Its a wartime stock but a 1945 date (I thought by 45 they were putting the metal back on the sling slots). The stock is beat to heck but this thing is a SHOOTER!.

5 shot group is bench rested 50 yards. Russian Surplus. Front hand resting on the front bag.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
      photo 1.JPG
      54.7 KB · Views: 152
    • photo 4.JPG
      photo 4.JPG
      43.9 KB · Views: 147
    • photo 6.JPG
      photo 6.JPG
      34.8 KB · Views: 147
    • photo 8.JPG
      photo 8.JPG
      55.4 KB · Views: 149

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I took mine to ths range today and was printing 3" groups at 100 yards. The only problem I have is that I have to force the bolt down to lock the round into magazine. It sort of pops down. Once it does that, the bolt rotates fine. Looking at the case head afterwards, I notice that the rim is a tiny bit chewed up. I'm thinking that the problem is with the extractor. I think that the extractor isn't engaging the rim as I rotate the bolt down, and the popping is the rim buckling under the extractor and seating in the bolt face. Any thoughts?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I think you meant to say round into the chamber. I had this problem on a 91/30. Like you . The extractor is marring up the rim. I have to find the video but it involves bending the extractor from clamping down too much on the rim. If you do it wrong you can snap it.

If be happy with 3" groups at 50 yards with an M44 let alone 100 yards.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I think you meant to say round into the chamber. I had this problem on a 91/30. Like you . The extractor is marring up the rim. I have to find the video but it involves bending the extractor from clamping down too much on the rim. If you do it wrong you can snap it.

If be happy with 3" groups at 50 yards with an M44 let alone 100 yards.

Yes, not magazine. It's like I have to force the extractor to engage the rim.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Then if you open bolt and close again while the round is still on the bolt head then it's fine.
    That's what happened to me.
    There are lots of
    Mosin sticky bolt videos
    But look at the one by (scroll through the search listings)
    Myrifleshooting
    Half the video is on the extractor issue

I'm on my phone this weekend or I'd search and paste a link

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Then if you open bolt and close again while the round is still on the bolt head then it's fine.

Exactly. I will check out the videos. I have to believe that I will eventually break the extractor. I was shocked at how well it shoots. 3-4" at 100 yards is shocking. I'm used to 6" at 50 yards with my other flame thrower.

The guy next to me came over during a cease fire and says, "I don't know if you knew this or not, but you are shooting a 24" fireball out of that thing."

I just smiled and said, "yes, this is an M44."

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I broke an extractor on one prying it from the front with a screw driver. So don't do what I did. The video I speak of has you using a punch from the side to pivot up the extractor.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Exactly. I will check out the videos. I have to believe that I will eventually break the extractor. I was shocked at how well it shoots. 3-4" at 100 yards is shocking. I'm used to 6" at 50 yards with my other flame thrower.

The guy next to me came over during a cease fire and says, "I don't know if you knew this or not, but you are shooting a 24" fireball out of that thing."

I just smiled and said, "yes, this is an M44."

At the range a few weeks ago, young kid grabs the lane next to me...sets up some manner of AR and tells me, "Hey, this thing can get pretty loud." I just smiled and loaded one into the T-53. BOOM. "JESUS CHRIST!" Work bolt, smile and say, "I think I'll be ok." "Wow, that thing's like the finger of satan..."

And that's how Satan's Finger got it's name. :D

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    That worked. Not perfect, but at least I can close the bolt without ruining my manicure.

COOL.
    Folks, this is the vid I was talking about:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcRzrYqgSsE

6:00 is where the extractor discussion happens.

Over the past 3 years, I think I've had all the Mosin sticky bolt situations (Solution):
    1) crud in chamber (shotgun brush on the drill)
    2) extractor too tight (Punch it out)
    3) burr on the face of the chamber (reamer)
    4) Rough surfaces on the bolt mating surfaces(wet sand)

I'm thinking to take the chamber reamer and giving it a kiss to a couple other mosins that are a big tight cause when I used it on my recent M44, it opens and closes with a spent case like buttah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom