New guy from Texas....moving to Maryland soon....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ....and, after looking at all the laws, not sure why! Still researching and all my questions are probably answered elsewhere, but after initial review it seems like legalities there stink. I am an NRA and Texas License to Carry instructor, so was looking at getting a CCW permit in Maryland. Saw the price per registration, then if I read correctly, is that per firearm you have? Also, seems switchblades are illegal to carry concealed....does the knife clip externally still count as concealed? Or did I read the info wrong? I will be relocating to the Ft Meade area, if anyone has any info on the area they wish to share, I'm all ears. Will be looking at apartments this weekend, so any places to look at (or to stay away from) in that area?

Thanks for letting me in and look forward to being here.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    ....and, after looking at all the laws, not sure why! Still researching and all my questions are probably answered elsewhere, but after initial review it seems like legalities there stink. I am an NRA and Texas License to Carry instructor, so was looking at getting a CCW permit in Maryland. Saw the price per registration, then if I read correctly, is that per firearm you have? Also, seems switchblades are illegal to carry concealed....does the knife clip externally still count as concealed? Or did I read the info wrong? I will be relocating to the Ft Meade area, if anyone has any info on the area they wish to share, I'm all ears. Will be looking at apartments this weekend, so any places to look at (or to stay away from) in that area?

Welcome (though in regards to MD, in the strongest terms possible, don’t physically relocate here)! You’ll see BGOS batted around - after a while in MD every 2A guy has battered gun owners syndrome from the abuses here.

MD is may issue, so absent SCOTUS doing the Lord’s work soon, unless you are a business owner you are unlikely to get an unrestricted permit (there are a few other less common paths) - and then only until the election installs our next D in the governor’s mansion (Hogan still sucks but he did do that one thing).

Switchblades can be openly carried (exposed clip counts) as long as not “with the intent” to commit a crime. Concealed only if you have a CCW.

Montgomery and PG county suck, so does Howard and Anne Arundel isn’t far behind. Both Baltimore City and County should be avoided as well. Calvert and south, Carroll and west, or over the bridge. Housing costs are cheaper and can make up for the commute cost to some extent. (If you can’t be talked out of MD).

MD has very particular and restrictive laws, that of course make little sense (eg, profile barrels on an AR are verboten, but HBAR are good to go - unless it is non 223/556 and/or something with a unique function that doesn’t interchange with the listed banned exemplar). State Police here is at least as bad as Biden’s AFT in terms of onerous interpretation of statutes and regs.

Welcome (though in regards to MD, in the strongest terms possible, don’t physically relocate here)! You’ll see BGOS batted around - after a while in MD every 2A guy has battered gun owners syndrome from the abuses here.
    Thanks for the info! I have already accepted a position and will be heading there soon, but will not be selling my house in Texas and will still claim being a Texan. Originally from Virginia, moved to North Carolina then Texas. Built a forever home here in Texas.... I know we have some weirdos like Beto and McConaughey, but the no state income tax and much less regulation are very nice.

I will look at the county maps to see where each of those places are. Was hoping for a short commute, but sounds like I may need to possibly change that mindset.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    If you owned any of the rifles that were banned before the 2013 law your grandfathered in. If you purchased after that you cannot bring them here. GL

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Thanks for the info! I have already accepted a position and will be heading there soon, but will not be selling my house in Texas and will still claim being a Texan. Originally from Virginia, moved to North Carolina then Texas. Built a forever home here in Texas.... I know we have some weirdos like Beto and McConaughey, but the no state income tax and much less regulation are very nice.

I will look at the county maps to see where each of those places are. Was hoping for a short commute, but sounds like I may need to possibly change that mindset.
    As RRomig noted you might have an issue bringing many things into MD, so glad to hear you are relinquishing your domicile in free America. I’m from the eastern shore and moved to MoCo/PG for a couple years in law school two decades ago. It was beyond awful, and worth it to me to commute over an hour from the eastern shore my third year instead of 20 minutes from PG/Montgomery. There are real Americans even here in Marylandistan, but you are much more likely to have to deal with Karen’s (and worse) instead in the areas I mentioned.

If you have any specific questions on regs most everything can be found via search, if you can’t find something ask - but make sure you know the regs, most any violation related to firearms in this state will make you a prohibited person.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I hope for your sake that if you are really into guns and shooting that you keep your stay here as brief as possible. I've been here - a transplant from Nebraska - since 1990. I married into it and have never managed to find a way to get out of here, although that possibility exists sometime in the next few years.

The laws here are awful. Some of the current laws that you may need to consider:

-- AR15s made past 2013 with a standard government profile barrel weight are banned

-- Non-serialized frames and lowers built from 80% kits are now banned - the possession of which is enough to get you jail time and fines if caught. You have until March 2023 to get them in compliance or get rid of them to avoid that risk.

-- Pistols may not be purchased unless they are on the Maryland Handgun Roster - it used to be model number specific, but they recently dropped the model number requirement.

-- You may not buy, sell, or transfer a magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds within State limits. You may keep them if you already had them, but you may only acquire new ones if you acquire them elsewhere and bring them into the state.

-- As a resident, you are limited to the purchase of a single handgun or regulated firearm purchase per calendar month unless you have your Maryland State designated collector status.

-- In order to purchase a handgun you must be "qualified" - you need to be active military, (Active, Guard, Reserves) be in Law Enforcement, or you need to get an HQL - Handgun Qualification License. This requires a training component, unless you are prior service, but it requires you to submit to a background check and be fingerprinted. The cost without training is roughly $75, but considerably higher with the training requirement.

-- Legally all firearms purchases must now be transferred through the MD State Police, long gun or handgun - non-regulated private sales of long guns are now a thing of the past.

-- If you move here out of state, legally you are supposed to register everything you bring into the state with the State. I'm not sure if this will apply to you because you won't legally you'll be retaining your TX state citizenship.

There are other laws - these are just the ones off the top of my head, and honestly, I'm not completely positive I got them right - Maryland keeps things confusing on purpose.

Athelney878

Jan 9, 2021
    Montgomery County
    Welcome!

Legally all firearms purchases must now be transferred through the MD State Police, long gun or handgun - non-regulated private sales of long guns are now a thing of the past.
    One clarification - This does not apply to C&R purchases made online from out-of-state sellers, if you have a C&R FFL.

WhoMe

BANNED!!!
    Aug 10, 2017
    Did I read somewhere that people with a TS clearance typically don't have an issue with CCW in MD? The Ft. Meade area tends to have a few more TS clearance holders than other areas if you know what I mean :innocent0

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Did I read somewhere that people with a TS clearance typically don't have an issue with CCW in MD? The Ft. Meade area tend to have a few more TS clearance holders than other areas if you know what I mean :innocent0

Variably1913

May 24, 2022
    Baltimore
    ....and, after looking at all the laws, not sure why! Still researching and all my questions are probably answered elsewhere, but after initial review it seems like legalities there stink. I am an NRA and Texas License to Carry instructor, so was looking at getting a CCW permit in Maryland. Saw the price per registration, then if I read correctly, is that per firearm you have? Also, seems switchblades are illegal to carry concealed....does the knife clip externally still count as concealed? Or did I read the info wrong? I will be relocating to the Ft Meade area, if anyone has any info on the area they wish to share, I'm all ears. Will be looking at apartments this weekend, so any places to look at (or to stay away from) in that area?

Not sure why? Sounds like you got orders. lol

Welcome to MD

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I hope for your sake that if you are really into guns and shooting that you keep your stay here as brief as possible. … - Maryland keeps things confusing on purpose.

Indeed they do.

Except for the criminals; they are never confused and plain don’t gaf … they are back out on the street toot sweet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom