• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I wonder how the high cost of ammo is affecting the weekend crowds at Myrtle Grove?

Last time I was out there, there were a few more open tables then usual.

Of course it was also only about 40-something degress out too, that probably didn't help either.

Yep.
    It sucks having to replace ammo that was bought for 20 to 50 cents a round, with ammo that is 60 cents to a dollar a round.
    Even the spam cans of 8mm Mauser, that used to be $90 are now pushing $250.
    About the only thing cheap to shoot anymore is .22 LR and 7.62x54R.
    I bet until things cool down we see less folks bringing a couple hundred rounds for each gun and start seeing most bring 2 or 3 boxes of .223 or .308.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Yep.
    It sucks having to replace ammo that was bought for 20 to 50 cents a round, with ammo that is 60 cents to a dollar a round.
    Even the spam cans of 8mm Mauser, that used to be $90 are now pushing $250.
    About the only thing cheap to shoot anymore is .22 LR and 7.62x54R.
    I bet until things cool down we see less folks bringing a couple hundred rounds for each gun and start seeing most bring 2 or 3 boxes of .223 or .308.

I have switched to 22LR only (22 kit for my glock/sig and the good old 10/22 and savage mkII are getting all the attention now), dry fire for my AR style rifles will have to suffice for now. I really wish I would have bought a 22LR upper or 2. . .live and learn :sad20:

I was there today when the range opened and there was a line half way up the steps, so according to the range rules after an hour I packed up and left, funny though I was the only one doing it the rest of the shooters continued to shoot don't know for how long but I didn't see anyone else packing up, bahh I didn't want to leave but everyone was waiting patiently to shoot.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I was there today when the range opened and there was a line half way up the steps, so according to the range rules after an hour I packed up and left, funny though I was the only one doing it the rest of the shooters continued to shoot don't know for how long but I didn't see anyone else packing up, bahh I didn't want to leave but everyone was waiting patiently to shoot.

youre a good man doing so. people do forget that there is time limit when people are waiting. :mad54:

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    Someone was shooting .300 Win mag rounds through a .300 Rem Ultra mag the other day; saw 20-30 pieces of WM brass that had been fire-formed to the RUM chamber. Not sure if they were doing it deliberately or not, apparently they didn't seem to notice any problem if they weren't doing it intentionally.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    youre a good man doing so. people do forget that there is time limit when people are waiting. :mad54:

When I used to go to the grove I would almost always bring my bow, just in case it was packed. That way I could obey the 1 hr rule and still not feel like I wasted my time making the drive. . . and, like others have said, it did seem like I was the only one to actually pack up after the hour. :sad20:

rifelman

Aug 7, 2008
    Calvert County
    I made it down on NYE, not to bad, benches didin't get full till after 4:00. First time for me in almost 2 years. Had my son now almost 16 and one of his buddies. Put some rounds thru an AK, AR, M1 carbine, and .38 revolver. All were Christmas gifts to him over the years. His buddie liked the carbine the best.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    Rifelman

My wife and I were on the end. It was nice meeting you and I really appreciate the use of your screw driver. All in all NYE was a good day but I was about froze solid when we left.

And that is a gorgeous carbine you own.

n&n'sdad

Take'em!!
    Dec 20, 2010
    In the goose pit
    Made it down to the 'Grove today to sight in a couple .22's. Got there around 1:30 and no line,and never was the whole 2 hrs I was there. The "range officer":sad20: showed up and was flexing his imaginary muscles and managed to chase one group off who didn't feel like hearing his shit..in between giving shooting lessons. All in all good day though.. Did I mention I hate whistles!

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Made it down to the 'Grove today to sight in a couple .22's. Got there around 1:30 and no line,and never was the whole 2 hrs I was there. The "range officer":sad20: showed up and was flexing his imaginary muscles and managed to chase one group off who didn't feel like hearing his shit..in between giving shooting lessons. All in all good day though.. Did I mention I hate whistles!

Was this Dan or that tall dude who really needs to mind his own business ?

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    Good thing I wasn't there today. That guy is annoying as hell.

I did make it out last week, and I wasn't crowded at all. There was one safety rule violation that I wasn't very comfortable with, though. The guy next to me (there were only 4 of us there) was shooting a handgun at the target about 10 yards out. I has just taken a few shots with my M1 Garand and laid it down on the bench for a second. The other two guys were chatting at the end. He tells me he's just going to run out and fix his target real quick, but I told him I still had a round in the chamber and the muzzle was pointing downrange. He was headed to the target stand before I could finish my sentance and just shrugged it off.

Maybe I'm being anal retentive, but this is how bad things happen.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Good thing I wasn't there today. That guy is annoying as hell.

I did make it out last week, and I wasn't crowded at all. There was one safety rule violation that I wasn't very comfortable with, though. The guy next to me (there were only 4 of us there) was shooting a handgun at the target about 10 yards out. I has just taken a few shots with my M1 Garand and laid it down on the bench for a second. The other two guys were chatting at the end. He tells me he's just going to run out and fix his target real quick, but I told him I still had a round in the chamber and the muzzle was pointing downrange. He was headed to the target stand before I could finish my sentance and just shrugged it off.

Maybe I'm being anal retentive, but this is how bad things happen.

Fortunately the potential Darwin Award winner was only endangering himself unlike most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom