• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    SNovaTac, I cna fully understand your concerns with people handling firearms when the range is hot But you should take into consideration what type they are using and what theyare doign with it

I my self do handle SOME of my firearms while the range is cold. it is mostly cleaning of my muzzleloaders I also load my magazines during the cold time

I do not have a break action pistol how ever as long as the action was in the wide open position and left on the bench I do not see an issue with him putting rounds in the chamber. That being said if the weapon was being waves around and pointed in the direction of people I would not being saying it but just sitting on the bench is another thing.

When the rules are written they are geared to the lowest skill leveal. What is safe for a skilled shooter may not be the same for a begener, When you see someone handling a fireare you have to see what they are doing and how skilled they are before you get to upset

muzzle loader or not. it still not recommended to handle guns while somebody is downrange. just giving a bad example.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I am not going argue this.

Be honest with you the proper thing is for when the range goes cold all firearms be placed in a rack way from the bench and not pointed down range when people are down range

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I am not going argue this.

Be honest with you the proper thing is for when the range goes cold all firearms be placed in a rack way from the bench and not pointed down range when people are down range

i agree, only if mg has racks! lol

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Maybe this is something thy should be addressed. Alot of the rules at m.g. need to be overhauled. And by shooters that use the range and not some person thy never seen it

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'll agree to an extent there ricky, some of the rules do need to be overhauled, it would make it safer/more enjoyable for the people that use MG frequently.

RO's would be a very welcome thing also, provided they have some decent people skills, it would probably discourage some of the asshats from coming back and abusing the range, but we all know how budgets go, so that may just be a pipe-dream.

The majority of MG's problems come from the individuals that either don't know or don't care about basic safety while on the range, I'm willing to bet most of those individuals don't have range permits..., it'd be nice if the DNR could come thru a little more often to check permits and do overwatch, just me thinking aloud there, but another idea that'd get the asshats out of there.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I'll agree to an extent there ricky, some of the rules do need to be overhauled, it would make it safer/more enjoyable for the people that use MG frequently.

RO's would be a very welcome thing also, provided they have some decent people skills, it would probably discourage some of the asshats from coming back and abusing the range, but we all know how budgets go, so that may just be a pipe-dream.

The majority of MG's problems come from the individuals that either don't know or don't care about basic safety while on the range, I'm willing to bet most of those individuals don't have range permits..., it'd be nice if the DNR could come thru a little more often to check permits and do overwatch, just me thinking aloud there, but another idea that'd get the asshats out of there.

last or year before, the dnr police was there often. but only seen them few times recently. i too wish they show up often.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I saw griggs down there awhile back, and then a younger guy that Al knew, his name escapes me at the moment.

It'd be nice if they could drop by more often, catch a few dumbasses in action... think the word would get around, MG isn't a place to do the dumb sh#t at. MSAR is! :innocent0 :lol2:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I saw griggs down there awhile back, and then a younger guy that Al knew, his name escapes me at the moment.

It'd be nice if they could drop by more often, catch a few dumbasses in action... think the word would get around, MG isn't a place to do the dumb sh#t at. MSAR is! :innocent0 :lol2:

yeah only saw griggs once this summer. he gave a $250 fine to a lucky person. the guy was making comments about not knowing the permits. griggs just said in firm voice, how the hell you can miss. the rules are posted all over the place and you cant miss the box by the gate. i just laugh and shook my head. as soon he came my way, i said to him about time ive seen him again. he just smile and mention that i just havent been there when he shows. LOL

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Saw griggs maybe 3 times over the summer, he still remembers me from the time he got me on a expired permit (first permit at that), he's pretty decent about things if you own up to it, but he doesn't give any breaks, last time I saw him he got a father/son on table 1. I knew when I saw them doing the 'walk of shame' what was going on.

SNovaTac

Mar 9, 2011
    Southern MD
    Good point about people just abusing brass/shell collection buckets. It's kinda sad though. And I see your point rickyp, but if we can't trust people to not shoot range buckets or steal rakes, then I have a hard time trusting them to be handling firearms while the range is cold. Unfortunately I feel like I just have to assume that all the shooters there are not competent around firearms until they prove to me otherwise. The person I brought up in my post had the revolver in his hands while he was loading it and although the action was wide open he was not being very mindful of how he was handling the revolver...

My intention wasn't to knock on MG or the majority of the people that shoot there. Unfortunately due to the occassional bad apple and how MG is set up, I would rather everyone err on the side of safety so that everyone can feel comfortable shooting there and not have to just hope the people next to them are competent enough to avoid an accident.

When I started shooting up there two years ago it seemed like someone was coming through pretty frequently to check for permits. The last few times I've been there no one has checked. I haven't been up there as often recently though.

An RO can be a good thing since they hopefully establish the baseline guidelines and enforce them, but as BradMacc82 brought up, sometimes they seem to be on a power trip or lack people skills and end up causing even more problems, haha... And they cost money I suppose. There's probably no perfect set up, but it's evident that there are people who care about MG and about the other people who shoot there, so hopefully as long as those people are still in the picture, MG can be an enjoyable place to shoot.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I have been shooting at MG for about 24 years and I have seen all kind there

When I first started shooting there my uncle was a range officer and things where good, like what has been said the R.O. do not shot up that much even Dan doesn't come down as much as he use to.

If it isn't raining tomorrow morning I will be down with a friend letting him shoot my ar15 I know the ar15 is a very rare rifle down there so if anyone wants to see it and maybe if you are real lucky I will let you shoot it:D

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    AR15's and MG, I don't think those 2 have ever been introduced... :innocent0

I'm day to day with my schedule right now, but I wouldn't mind hitting the range, could use some relaxation before the holidays.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    a friend and I made it down there this morning I was down about 1030. we found only 2 other people at the range and a few at the skeet range. shortly my friend and I had the range to our self for about an hour. It was a good thing my friend was inturduced to the scope on my 308 rifle the hard way. that is right he got scope eye :D

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    a friend and I made it down there this morning I was down about 1030. we found only 2 other people at the range and a few at the skeet range. shortly my friend and I had the range to our self for about an hour. It was a good thing my friend was inturduced to the scope on my 308 rifle the hard way. that is right he got scope eye :D

With or without stitches? It does'nt count unless you need stitches.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    With or without stitches? It does'nt count unless you need stitches.

Or if you don't have a perfect C somewhere around the eye/nose area. :D

First time I ever shot a 30-30, loose on the shoulder, got scope kissed. 16 years later, still remember it like yesterday, haven't had that happen since.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I meant is it open this monday. . . 'is it open on money' lol what were my fingers thinking :lol2: thats what I get for jumping on the forum real quick when I am supposed to be working!

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    nope no sutures just a nice line and blood

The sad thing is he was an "army sniper"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula