• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It wasn't a petting zoo, people were pretty good about moving off a table to let other's 'play thru', so it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

chris12138

Kitchen Table Machinist
    Jul 12, 2011
    St Marys
    Missed my chance. Girlfriend, friends and family were feeding me shots all weekend for my Bday....still not feeling great lol

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    guthook, the range is looking pretty good right now, as of yesterday anyways, and for once the stands made it a whole day wthout becoming kindling, amazing!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    guthook, the range is looking pretty good right now, as of yesterday anyways, and for once the stands made it a whole day wthout becoming kindling, amazing!

thats good.. hope it stays like that for long time (yeah.. wishfull thinking:lol2:).

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It'll last for as long as it can last..., or for as long as we can keep people from just shooting wildly at anything ahead of the tables...

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    It'll last for as long as it can last..., or for as long as we can keep people from just shooting wildly at anything ahead of the tables...

that too.. weather is getting cold.. so the weekend warriors should dwindle down a bit next few weeks. ;)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I hope so, hate to see all that hard work and fresh new timber get tore up from some asshats that don't know how to shoot...

They still got some work to do on the berm, stringing up new mesh and such, but it's in much better shape now.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I can't wait to go back. I've been away from Maryland since late September for Air Force BMT and Tech school. Coming home for the holidays so I'll definitely be hitting up Myrtle Grove.

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    Was out Friday. Shot the new 30-30 Winchester. Beautiful gun. Puts them in at 100 yards with just iron sights and my old eyeballs. The sights are better than the eyeballs.

SNovaTac

Mar 9, 2011
    Southern MD
    I was at Myrtle Grove Sunday with three of my regular shooting buddies and although it was great to get out and shoot a little bit after not being able to make it out for a few weeks, some of the other shooters there were less than desirable to be around.

We got there around 1:20 and by that time there was already a considerable line at the 100 yd range and there were two groups of guys using the skeet range. The larger of the two groups at the skeet range left and since the line at the 100 yd range hadn't moved, we went up to the skeet range for a while. The group that was there before us didn't seem to have a whole lot of experience with shotguns. They were attempting to throw the clays with their hands and for the 10 mins or so we were up there watching we didn't see a single person come close to hitting anything. It was an interesting spectacle to say the least. That was all fine, but when they left they left all of their shells scattered all over the ground. I guess that's not a huge deal because those who reload are able to come snag some free shells, but it's still a little bit annoying. Maybe whoever runs the range could put some 5 gallon buckets or something similar with lids at the skeet range and down at the 100 yd range and if you wanted to leave your brass/shells behind you could and they'd be cleaned up and out of the way of the person using the range after you.

Anyway, the more disturbing part of our trip happened at the 100 yd range. We snagged the left most table and at this point all the other tables were still full. While we were shooting we noticed two incidents. The first was a few tables down. It was apparent that of the two people at this table, one of them was an experienced shooter and the other was a first time shooter. At one point the first time shooter must have had some success shooting thier revolver because they got a little excited and in their excitement started to turn around with the loaded revolver still in their hands. Fortunately their partner was very attentive and immediately stopped the new shooter from turning further and got the revolver pointing back down range very quickly. I was glad to see that response.

The second incident happened while the range was cold. There were three guys at the table next to us and when the range went cold they had failed to open the actions of the firearms out on their table. We said something to them because people were starting to head down range and obviously we didn't want them handling the firearms while the range was cold. They proceeded to look annoyed and inform us that the chambers were all empty, the magazines were all removed and that the AK wouldn't stay open anyway (the had five other firearms on the table that were capable of being locked open). Then after they placed their targets down range and were back at their table, the one guy picked up a break action revolver and began to load .22 ammunition into its cylinder... I told him that the range was cold and asked him to place the revolver back on the table with the barrel pointed down range. While he continued to load the revolver, he told me that the action was open so there was no way the revolver could go off. I asked him again to stop, explaining that when the range is cold no one should be handling a firearm for any reason. He then put the gun down, all while acting extremely annoyed, and then asked me to unload all my magazines (which at that moment happened to all be unloaded). He argued with me that what he was doing was no different than loading magazines and having them ready for when the range was hot again. It was extremely frustrating that he was more concerned about having the revolver ready to fire as soon as the range went hot than he was concerned about the safety of everyone at the range...

As soon as the range went cold again we took our targets down and brought the target supports in and then as soon as it was back hot we packed up and headed home. It's frustrating because Myrtle Grove is the closest range available for us St. Mary's county folk right now, but experiences like yesterday make it hard to go back. I don't think these people represent the majority, but it only takes one group like that to compromise the safety of the entire range.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    SNovaTac - I can understand your sentiment about the group of 3 and their lack of respect/sense of safety, it happens from time to time and the people that frequent MG know all too well about those types. Inform them of the rules respectfully but firmly, and if they continue to ignore, that's on them. I keep an eye on those types, and make mental notes and if possible veh. desc. and pass it on if it warrants that level of action.

As for the 5 gal bucket idea, in theory it's a good idea, but unfortunately most of the MG regulars will be able to tell you, those will just become a target for the asshats. They don't seem to care what their shooting it seems, just as long as their shooting.

I won't let the occasional asshat drive me off my local range, don't let them drive you off either.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    SNovaTac - I can understand your sentiment about the group of 3 and their lack of respect/sense of safety, it happens from time to time and the people that frequent MG know all too well about those types. Inform them of the rules respectfully but firmly, and if they continue to ignore, that's on them. I keep an eye on those types, and make mental notes and if possible veh. desc. and pass it on if it warrants that level of action.

As for the 5 gal bucket idea, in theory it's a good idea, but unfortunately most of the MG regulars will be able to tell you, those will just become a target for the asshats. They don't seem to care what their shooting it seems, just as long as their shooting.

I won't let the occasional asshat drive me off my local range, don't let them drive you off either.

i agree with the bucket being bad idea. it will be a target sooner or later. there used to be a rake in the shed, that too keeps disappearing. patience is the key. if you go to their level, nobody will win.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I was at Myrtle Grove Sunday with three of my regular shooting buddies and although it was great to get out and shoot a little bit after not being able to make it out for a few weeks, some of the other shooters there were less than desirable to be around.

We got there around 1:20 and by that time there was already a considerable line at the 100 yd range and there were two groups of guys using the skeet range. The larger of the two groups at the skeet range left and since the line at the 100 yd range hadn't moved, we went up to the skeet range for a while. The group that was there before us didn't seem to have a whole lot of experience with shotguns. They were attempting to throw the clays with their hands and for the 10 mins or so we were up there watching we didn't see a single person come close to hitting anything. It was an interesting spectacle to say the least. That was all fine, but when they left they left all of their shells scattered all over the ground. I guess that's not a huge deal because those who reload are able to come snag some free shells, but it's still a little bit annoying. Maybe whoever runs the range could put some 5 gallon buckets or something similar with lids at the skeet range and down at the 100 yd range and if you wanted to leave your brass/shells behind you could and they'd be cleaned up and out of the way of the person using the range after you.

Anyway, the more disturbing part of our trip happened at the 100 yd range. We snagged the left most table and at this point all the other tables were still full. While we were shooting we noticed two incidents. The first was a few tables down. It was apparent that of the two people at this table, one of them was an experienced shooter and the other was a first time shooter. At one point the first time shooter must have had some success shooting thier revolver because they got a little excited and in their excitement started to turn around with the loaded revolver still in their hands. Fortunately their partner was very attentive and immediately stopped the new shooter from turning further and got the revolver pointing back down range very quickly. I was glad to see that response.

The second incident happened while the range was cold. There were three guys at the table next to us and when the range went cold they had failed to open the actions of the firearms out on their table. We said something to them because people were starting to head down range and obviously we didn't want them handling the firearms while the range was cold. They proceeded to look annoyed and inform us that the chambers were all empty, the magazines were all removed and that the AK wouldn't stay open anyway (the had five other firearms on the table that were capable of being locked open). Then after they placed their targets down range and were back at their table, the one guy picked up a break action revolver and began to load .22 ammunition into its cylinder... I told him that the range was cold and asked him to place the revolver back on the table with the barrel pointed down range. While he continued to load the revolver, he told me that the action was open so there was no way the revolver could go off. I asked him again to stop, explaining that when the range is cold no one should be handling a firearm for any reason. He then put the gun down, all while acting extremely annoyed, and then asked me to unload all my magazines (which at that moment happened to all be unloaded). He argued with me that what he was doing was no different than loading magazines and having them ready for when the range was hot again. It was extremely frustrating that he was more concerned about having the revolver ready to fire as soon as the range went hot than he was concerned about the safety of everyone at the range...

As soon as the range went cold again we took our targets down and brought the target supports in and then as soon as it was back hot we packed up and headed home. It's frustrating because Myrtle Grove is the closest range available for us St. Mary's county folk right now, but experiences like yesterday make it hard to go back. I don't think these people represent the majority, but it only takes one group like that to compromise the safety of the entire range.

When you find someone on the range that refuses to follow the rules don't be afraid to call DNR police. Give them a description of the offenders and tag number if possible. They take these things very seriously.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    SNovaTac, I cna fully understand your concerns with people handling firearms when the range is hot But you should take into consideration what type they are using and what theyare doign with it

I my self do handle SOME of my firearms while the range is cold. it is mostly cleaning of my muzzleloaders I also load my magazines during the cold time

I do not have a break action pistol how ever as long as the action was in the wide open position and left on the bench I do not see an issue with him putting rounds in the chamber. That being said if the weapon was being waves around and pointed in the direction of people I would not being saying it but just sitting on the bench is another thing.

When the rules are written they are geared to the lowest skill leveal. What is safe for a skilled shooter may not be the same for a begener, When you see someone handling a fireare you have to see what they are doing and how skilled they are before you get to upset

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom