• Status
    Not open for further replies.

PresentArms

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2008
    Middle River
    email just in

Dear Second Amendment Supporter:

Del. Dan Riley's shall issue bill has been officially introduced to the General Assembly as House Bill 470, entitled Public Safety - Handgun Permits - Repeal of Finding Requirement.

It is scheduled for a hearing on Tuesday, Feb. 24, 2009 before the House Judiciary Committee. The next step in showing your support for this legislation is to contact the committee members. Below is a list of email addresses for them. In addition, if any of you would have testimony to offer in support, such as incidents where a firearm has prevented a crime (personal experience), please contact Del. Riley's office, 410-841-3280 to see if your story would be useful for the Pro side.

Thank you for being a concerned citizen.

Rick Impallaria

Delegate, District 7

House Judiciary Committee

Joseph Vallario Jr, Chair, Samuel Rosenberg, Vice Chair

Joseph.Vallario@house.state.md.us

Samuel.Rosenberg@house.state.md.us

Curt.Anderson@house.state.md.us

Ben.Barnes@house.state.md.us

Jill.Carter@house.state.md.us

Frank.Conaway@house.state.md.us

Kathleen.Dumais@house.state.md.us

Don.Dwyer@house.state.md.us

William.Frank@house.state.md.us

JB.Jennings@house.state.md.us

Benjamin.Kramer@house.state.md.us

Susan.Lee@house.state.md.us

Gerron.Levi@house.state.md.us

Susan.McComas@house.state.md.us

Tony.McConkey@house.state.md.us

Victor.Ramirez@house.state.md.us

Todd.Schuler@house.state.md.us

Luiz.Simmons@house.state.md.us

Michael.Smigiel@house.state.md.us

Kris.Valderrama@house.state.md.us

Jeff.Waldstreicher@house.state.md.us

Kevin Kelly has no email, but can be contacted at 320 Lowe Bldg., Annapolis, MD 21401, 410-841-3404

SlapShot

Jul 29, 2008
    Email sent to each of my three delegates...none of which were listed as sponsors of the bill. I wonder if they were absent that day :sad20:

SlapShot

Jul 29, 2008
    Emails sent...

As an active and informed voter and registered Democrat in your District, I would first like to personally thank you for your public service to my family, myself, and my fellow constituents. Many people simply do not understand how much, sometime thankless, personal time and effort, and behind the scenes work goes into public service. This is especially true in our current economic and political situations in our State of Maryland and the country as a whole.

As a father and husband, I have been closely tracking what seems to be a very noticeable and disturbing increase in crime in my community; in particular, robberies, assaults, burglaries, carjackings, and even murders very near or even at many of places that my family and neighbors frequent. For example, this past week, a customer leaving a local grocery store was robbed at gunpoint in the middle of the afternoon. There have been armed robberies in broad daylight in our mall parking lot, robberies and assaults of patrons leaving our movie theater, and armed robberies of my neighbors standing in the very driveway of their own home. Equally disturbing is what seems like a rash of attacks and robberies on our once very appealing walking/jogging/biking trails that intertwine between many very nice single family homes. My wife walks the trails, my son rides his bike on these trails, and I (training for the 2009 Marine Corps Marathon) run the trails very regularly.

After my two terms in the Marine Corps, my last three with the Marine Corps Chemical Biological Incident Response Force (CBIRF) in Indian Head, my wife and I fell in love with Charles County and decided to make it our home after criss crossing the country at various duty stations. It now seems like our once “much-livable” neighborhoods are falling prey to criminals who have absolutely no desire to contribute to a positive, productive, and enjoyable community. I for one do not wish to take the path that many of my neighbors have taken and move from the great community and State that my family has called home for nearly ten years. I have spoken to many of my neighbors who feel the same sense of loyalty to our community. However, some seem to have their determination seriously weakened by the perception that the criminal element is dominating by both day and night now.

I have been reviewing the upcoming bills and found one that caught my attention. House Bill 470 that repeals the ‘finding requirement’ of Public Safety 5-306. According to the Maryland State Bill Info website (http://mlis.state.md.us/2009rs/billfile/hb0470.htm) there are at least 42 delegates that have sponsored this bill. However, I have not seen any of your names among those listed as sponsoring this bill. I understand that simply because a name does not appear as a sponsor on a bill does not necessarily equate to a delegate not supporting a particular bill. I would however very much appreciate to know your stance on this bill and if you are in the position to support such legislation. I request to you to support this legislation in order that I, and other law-abiding citizens of this fine State, may been provided the same advantage of defending our State’s most important commodity; our families.

In every state that I have researched that has gone from a non-existent or very limited permit issue system to a system where permits are accessible to law-abiding citizens after rigorous checks and qualifications, the violent crime rate against citizens has fallen. There have been no reported instances that I have found in those states of permit holders being charged with violating firearms laws or committing crimes with their legally carried firearms.

Currently, the restriction of ‘finding requirement’ allows those that carry large sums of deposits to acquire a permit. However, I am charged with protecting something far more valuable than business revenue, it is my responsibility to protect my family.

I would sincerely appreciate a reply from each of you to inform me of your intentions regarding this legislation. Again, I thank you and my many neighbors thank you for your service to our community and State. Please keep me informed of anything that I can do in my community that would assist each of you in your tireless duties. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    More from ANNAPPOLIS

HB 682

Crossfiled with: SENATE BILL 485

Sponsored By:
    Delegates Schuh, Bromwell, G. Clagett, Conway, Costa, DeBoy, Donoghue, Dwyer, George, James, Kelly, King, Kipke, Levy, Malone, McConkey, Minnick, Olszewski, Riley, Rudolph, Schuler, Vaughn, Weir, and Wood

Entitled:
    Public Safety - Handgun Permits - Federal Flight Deck Officers

Synopsis:
    Not available at this time ?

Hearing: Not available at this time

Fiscal and Policy Note: Not available at this time

Amendments: None offered

SB 586

Crossfiled with: HOUSE BILL 359

Sponsored By:
    Senators Mooney and Muse

Entitled:
    Handgun Permits - Victims of Domestic Violence

Synopsis:
    Specifying that an applicant for a handgun permit who is eligible for relief under the spousal domestic violence laws of the State for whose benefit a court has issued a temporary or final protective order meets the standard that the applicant has a good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun in order to be issued a handgun permit by the Secretary of State Police.

Hearing:

SB 653

Crossfiled with: Not available at this time ?

Sponsored By:
    Senators Harris and Peters

Entitled:
    Admissions and Amusement Tax - Shooting Ranges - Military, Police, and Correctional Officers

Synopsis:
    Not available at this time?

Hearing:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Damn nice letter SlapShot. Welcome Aboard and thank you for your Marine service.

Waterdoor

Proud Infidel Team U.S.A.
    Dec 13, 2008
    KY.
    It is pretty bad when your rep writes back and tells you to contact the Senate Judiciary members. You can tell that he knows they are the problem.

Thank you for contacting me concerning HB 332- Victims of Crime – Burglary and Crimes of Violence – Civil Immunity.

As you may be aware, I did note for HB 1060 last year and it passed the House 136-0. I would encourage you to contact members of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee to assure its passage this session.

Appointed by Senate President: Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee
    Brian E. Frosh, Chair (410) 841-3124, (301) 858-3124
    Lisa A. Gladden, Vice-Chair (410) 841-3697, (301) 858-3697

James Brochin
    Jennie M. Forehand
    Larry E. Haines
    Nancy Jacobs
    Alex X. Mooney
    C. Anthony Muse
    Jamin B. (Jamie) Raskin
    Bryan W. Simonaire
    Norman R. Stone, Jr.

Staff: Shirleen M. Pilgrim; Susan H. Russell.

Miller Senate Office Building, 2 East Wing
    11 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401 - 1991
    (410) 841-3623, (301) 858-3623
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3623 (toll free)
    fax: (410) 841-3850, (301) 858-3850

Very truly yours,

Delegate Frank S. Turner

District 13 – Howard County

House Ways and Means Committee

Chairman, Finance Resources Subcommittee

410-841-3246/301-858-3246

Fax: 410-841-3986

E-mail: frank.turner@house.state.md.us

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    It is pretty bad when your rep writes back and tells you to contact the Senate Judiciary members. You can tell that he knows they are the problem.

Yeah, that's what the FBI calls a clue. FYI, I think Sen Jacobs is a sponsor.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    It's not unusual to fail to get a response for some time, especially from the ones that we are trying to educate. They don't want to go on record prior to the hearings unless they are joining the choir, so to speak.

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    I sumbit emails last week and havent gotten a respond back yet ...

Last year, I gotten Half of them to respond back to me

This Year, None ...

J T Bolt

Nov 4, 2007
    District 18
    Email snet to Waldstreicher. Nice reply back from him in 2 days. A little better than a form letter. He made no promises either way. Said he would keep an open mind.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom