• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

SDA

May 22, 2008
    Dun-Doc Hun
    I find it amazing that even if every single delegate votes yes on this, that a single person can simply override and cancel them out due to personal issues with this bill. What a slap in the face that is to them and us law abiding citizens!

Gonna fire off my emails soon.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    is my math wrong, do we have 42 sponsors on this HOUSE BILL 470 ?

You are not mistaken. We did a good job on this part....the easy part.

Now comes the hard work of getting the committee to give it a favorable report (vote to send it to the floor)

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    You are not mistaken. We did a good job on this part....the easy part.

Now comes the hard work of getting the committee to give it a favorable report (vote to send it to the floor)

Great, Just Emailed all of them one by one, so that they get to know that i put alot of efforts on that :)

Good Job guys, How are the public and what are the people saying about this ?

J T Bolt

Nov 4, 2007
    District 18
    Please look at some facts:

The Dept. of Justice states 2.5 million violent crimes were prevented by armed law-abiding citizens

Actually, that 2.5 Million number is Gary Kleck's (http://www.guncite.com/gcwhoGK.html). He's a good and concientious researcher, but he is still an advocate FOR our side, and as such maybe less credible to Valerio.

That's the bad news.

The good news is the Clinton Justice Departement did a similar study in the same time frame, mid-90s. Janet Reno's justive department is certainly NOT a 2A partisan. They came up with a number of 1.5 million, which is still respectable.

http://www.ncjrs.gov/txtfiles/165476.txt

30k gun deaths per year on average, half of which are suicides, and 100k injuries compared to 1.5 million self-defensive uses? Not bad.

Of course every death is a tragedy, but on pure utilitarian value judgements alone the numbers are on our side. And that's not counting inherent universal rights of the individual.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    I borrowed a bit......but sent to all 4.

Delegate Beidle,

I am writing to you as a first time foray into local Maryland politics with an issue I find very important to me. I am a 14 year resident, registered _______ and IT professional in Anne Arundel County who supports 2A and a believer in the rights of the average individual to be able to have the means to protect themselves. I am asking for you to support House Bill 470 as it crosses your desk this year. Its fate literally and figuratively rests in your hands. Allowing it to be voted on is the right thing to do.

There are more than enough facts to be had supporting shall-issue legislation and plenty of fear-based fact less emotional rhetoric against it. Maryland is one of the stricter states when it comes to allowing its citizens a method of self security and confidence to take advantage of the wonderful things the state has to offer. Many people are shunning the park trails, secluded spots and even after hour activities because of the known fact that serve and protect has become collect evidence and interview. The criminals in the state know the restrictive laws better than the average citizen and the only ones the laws serve are them. I am not a small man standing over six feet tall and in my late forties and I feel uncomfortable walking my dogs at night sometimes in the knowledge I am out alone with no escape or protection, and I live in the suburbs of Severn.

Please look at some facts:

40 states are shall-issue (if you can legally buy a gun and prove proficiency you can carry it to defend yourself)

The Dept. of Justice states 2.5 million violent crimes were prevented by armed law-abiding citizens

Less than 8% of those resulted in a shot fired and even fewer of those resulted in injury or death to the assailant

No state has revoked shall-issue laws once laid in place

The current may-issue discretionary policy is racist, classist, discriminatory and places more value on objects than on life. The majority of CCWs issued in the state of Maryland are for those that can display they carry large sums of money frequently. Even in that case most of them can only carry a concealed weapon when they are carrying the money. Personally I care more about my life and the safety of myself and loved ones, and many criminals with several convictions would prefer not to leave witnesses. Another frightening thought are the amount of home invasions and break-ins happening across the country with the perpetrators waiting for the homeowners to get home or following them home and accosting them in their driveways or as soon as they enter the house.

Even with the best possible scenarios, you still have to be able to call 911 to get a police officer to you in 3-5 minutes.

I would be more than happy to discuss this topic further with you at any time. Please take into consideration that the people that are willing to go through background checks and training are not the ones that should be denied the availability to legally carry a handgun. The power of the misinformed few should not supersede the right for the average citizen to be secure in their day to day activities.

Please support HB470 and let's turn Maryland around to be a safe haven for its citizens, its visitors and its statehood.

Respectfully,

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Let me make sure I've got this straight. There will be a Judicial Committee hearing on this bill, they'll talk about it, possibly hold more hearings on it, then the Chairman of the Committee allows/disallows a vote on the bill. If the bill makes it out of the Committee, it goes to the House floor. Does it automatically receive a vote here, or can it get squashed?
    How have similar bills fared in the past? Being somewhat ignorant of state politics, I would assume that similar bills have died a fast death on the House floor, but I certainly hope I'm wrong on that.
    HOUSE BILL 470 >> http://mlis.state.md.us/2009rs/billfile/hb0470.htm 2009

Prior Year Introduction As: HB 2/08 - JUD >> http://mlis.state.md.us/2008RS/billfile/HB0002.htm 2008
    Fiscal and Policy Note: YES ! :thumbsup:

Prior Year Introduction As: SB 762/07 >> http://mlis.state.md.us/2007rs/billfile/sb0762.htm 2007

Prior Year Introduction As: SB 911/06 >> http://mlis.state.md.us/2006rs/billfile/sb0911.htm 2006

* * * *Crossfiled with: HOUSE BILL 1163 >> http://mlis.state.md.us/2006rs/billfile/hb1163.htm 2006
    * * * ** * * *Fiscal and Policy Note: YES ! :thumbsup:

:innocent0

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Jim Sr.: thanks for the great info. Am I reading correctly that these bills never made it out of committee, or am I missing something?

Last edited:

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    okay, got off my tail and sent out the e-mails and finished my mail-merge... Will mail the letters in the morning.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Good letter Smokering. I can't wait to see the reply.

I know it can be hard for all of us to keep pounding these letters out, but the reward could be so great that I surely think it's worth it.

Chinaman

Feb 4, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    New to forum

Hi All,

New to the website as of 2 weeks ago - glad to find so many Patriots in this state : )

I emailed Mr. Chairman Vallario the following - hope it works, and contributes to our cause:

Good evening! I trust you are doing well.

Sir, I am writing this evening to respectfully request that you allow for a hearing and, most importantly, a vote on HB470, which will be appearing before your committee on February 24th. The eventual passage of this legislation would allow people who respect and obey the law to defend themselves and their families against those who do not. Please understand that current Maryland law effectively prohibits citizens from legally carrying a concealed weapon, making most of us potentially easy prey.

Mr. Vallario, I enlisted in the United States Air Force because of September 11, 2001, and was Honorably Discharged for my service. Isn't it a bit contradictory that I can be trusted to defend our great Nation, yet not trusted to act responsibly concerning the protection of myself and family? I am optimistic we can change that!

I would earnestly plead with you that you do all in your power to help this bill through the legal process in our State. The majority of States recognize the right of their citizens to be legally armed - isn't it time we joined them, Sir?

Your time and support are much appreciated.

Sincerely,

We desperately need this thing to pass - is there any real chance that it will? Or is this futility? Either way this is our duty, I reckon.

txiyo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2008
    My Two Bates and Miller district 9A Ellicott City MD are on board. I'm writing an email to support and thank them.

Anything else?

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Hi All,

New to the website as of 2 weeks ago - glad to find so many Patriots in this state : )

I emailed Mr. Chairman Vallario the following - hope it works, and contributes to our cause:

Good evening! I trust you are doing well.

Sir, I am writing this evening to respectfully request that you allow for a hearing and, most importantly, a vote on HB470, which will be appearing before your committee on February 24th. The eventual passage of this legislation would allow people who respect and obey the law to defend themselves and their families against those who do not. Please understand that current Maryland law effectively prohibits citizens from legally carrying a concealed weapon, making most of us potentially easy prey.

Mr. Vallario, I enlisted in the United States Air Force because of September 11, 2001, and was Honorably Discharged for my service. Isn't it a bit contradictory that I can be trusted to defend our great Nation, yet not trusted to act responsibly concerning the protection of myself and family? I am optimistic we can change that!

I would earnestly plead with you that you do all in your power to help this bill through the legal process in our State. The majority of States recognize the right of their citizens to be legally armed - isn't it time we joined them, Sir?

Your time and support are much appreciated.

Sincerely,

We desperately need this thing to pass - is there any real chance that it will? Or is this futility? Either way this is our duty, I reckon.
    Welcome Aboard !!

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    Would it make sense this year to emphasize the fact that this could be a revenue generator for the state? Just sayin....

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Thetruth, that's been my strategy since day one. Some people here find it objectionable though, paying for liberty.

I think though, in light of the fact that only 1 of the shall issue states is free, it's a viable argument. Just be sure to stress reasonable fees, and give examples. Lord knows Frosh could decide to say ok, shall issue, 5,000 a permit.

FXWG

Oct 21, 2008
    Aberdeen
    Here is what I am sending. Do you think it is ok? I am not very good at composing letters. Please let me know before I submit.

Dear Delegates Norman and Stifler,

I am writing to you asking for your support in HB470. I feel that is is a shame that law abiding citizens of Maryland do not have the right to protect themselves, family and property. I gave both of you my support in the previous elections and now I am asking for yours.

Thank you,

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Would it make sense this year to emphasize the fact that this could be a revenue generator for the state? Just sayin....

It is one of many layers to the discussion and I think a viable one.

The trouble is that the people at legislative services consistently write up the fiscal note to show that it will cost the state money, including the salaries of extra troopers and their cruisers.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Thetruth, that's been my strategy since day one. Some people here find it objectionable though, paying for liberty.

I think though, in light of the fact that only 1 of the shall issue states is free, it's a viable argument. Just be sure to stress reasonable fees, and give examples. Lord knows Frosh could decide to say ok, shall issue, 5,000 a permit.

Exactly. Besides any fee as extraordinary as the one you note would quickly be struck down as being an infringement.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom