• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Well, this being a C&R section. I'm not planning to hunt with any Milsurp unless its in original condition or can easily be restored to original condition. Not liking the idea of taking a Milsurp and sporterize. If I wanted to take a milsurp and hunt it would be for the challenge/excitement/thrill/pride of doing it. It just so happens, the only dedicated hunting rifle I own is a muzzleloading Inline. I'm still planning on the 1903a3. I think if you want to sit with the safety on, you need to consider how quiet you need to be when flipping it off. Such is the mauser type with the safety that flips up in your view so you know its on. Where I'll be in Nov, You have to be very quiet cause things are very close in. I'm still new to Deer hunting so we'll see how it turns out.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Mosin would be my last choice except for some Finns, poor sights, bad triggers, iffy accuracy.
    My preference goes to milsurps with rear peep sights, quicker more precise shooting, 03a3, Enfield N04,Model 1917.
    At my age I'm finding I need a scope, hard to see front sight in low light, plenty of sporterized milsurps at very cheap prices that have already been drilled and tapped, no need to do it to an unmolested one. These rifles if in good shape can be very accurate.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Thanks for posting this very useful information. He may have an axe to grind, but he backed his grinding up with some pretty solid data. For $38, why take the chance?

It's not just puffery to sell his stuff. The reloading manuals make the same point about the difference between commercial loads and those that you are loading specifically for the Garand.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I have taken a couple deer with my SKS.

With the hollow point rounds (I think 123 gr) the exit holes have been the size of a quarter.

A friend of mine has killed a large number of deer over the years when it was his only deer rifle.

The SKS is a good white tail rifle.

Rmocarsky

Agreed.

A scoped SKS with soft points would make a fine deer rifle out to 150 yards.

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    Killed my first deer with a 1903 Springfield. That was a long time ago. First Black powder deer was done in by a Navy Arms repro of a 1841 Mississippi in .58 caliber. Still have both.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    The first deer hunt I went on in western md I took a 1895 mauser in 7x57,
    If I was going to use mil surplus rifle now I think I would look for a good mosin nagant.91/30.
    Then I would get a new manufacturer pu scope and mount and find a turn down bolt. It woukdnt be much for a gunsmith to install the scope mount and bolt handle

To get the most out of the 7.62x54r for hunting it be best to habd load for it as factore hunting rounds are very expensive.

As for hunting with fmg rounds it would depend on the round. I would challange anyone say a fmg bullet out of a 50 bmg wouldnt kill a deer humanly. May be not left but deer will die very fast

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I was hunting in a ground blind in the woods for early muzzleloader season.
    I spooked a doe about 15 yards from me when I pulled the hammer back and "click". Darn thing heard it and ran off.
    This area is Rifle and I plan to go back. Got me thinking about which surplus guns I have hunting reloads for and if I go back into the woods I want something short and with a quiet safety.
    The 2 quietest saftey's I have are the:
    1903a3
    K31
    Steyr M95

The Steyr is almost perfect for close quarters and a ground blind. Short, light, and a thumb pulling back on the cocking knob with gun tilted to side allows the safety to flip down and off. Alas, but I'm going to bring the 1903a3 cause its Americun.

Mosin, I might have to buy one of those ring attachments

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I've killed two foxes (raiding the chicken house) with a Nagant rifle. The results were NOT pretty, but it was very effective. Neither one got more than a couple of feet from where they were hit ... and may have been knocked that far.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Here's yours truly with a nice 6 point I shot a few years ago with my K31. Hit him at 90-100 yards and he dropped instantly. I used wolf gold soft-points

Attachments

• DSCN0813.jpg
      DSCN0813.jpg
      107.7 KB · Views: 141

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    This one might claim this and the other claim that but truth is once REALITY sets in.......... they aren't going to lug it before they wished they chose something lighter, easier to carry and logical.

1 pound will feel like 100 at the end of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom