• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Most anything that will kill a man will kill a deer. If you're not reaching out too far..... a SKS is roughly the same as a 30-30 ballistically. Bigger military round is better BUT there is a HUGE difference if hunting long and hard a 6 lb rifle and a 11 lb one.
    Mosin.... you can hit him over the head, break it in two and it will still look like a turd, same with the Brit. :shrug: 03 Springfield or K-98 if you want to haul something heavy BUT good.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    :thumbsup:I've scoped mine and used it for deer and hogs. The hog I shot dropped where it stood.

I still need to get a K31. I have had thoughts about some sort of Mauser and getting it scoped too. But alas Im out of gun money I never really had.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Empire Arms has a very nice pre-war K-31 at a very good price.

SWISS Model K-31 Schmidt-Rubin short rifle # 524573 (7.5x55mm) mfg. by Waffenfabrik Bern in 1934. All-matching numbers. Near Excellent condition with 85% bluing remaining and a near-perfect mirror-bore. Lovely streaked walnut stock and handguard has original finish with some of the usual scuffs and handling marks. Includes sling. PHOTO . . . $425. C&R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

peckman28

Aug 27, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'll be bringing my PU Sniper out this coming week with S&B JSP rounds. It's only going to the tree stand though, for trudging around in the woods my Marlin 336 is going to be there as well.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I usually try to get something every year with one of my milsurp rifles. I've killed a few deer with my K31, M1917 Enfield and my K98k. All in stock, original condition. Granted, I don't really lug them around the woods since I pretty much have lots of deer in my backyard, so they don't get beat up.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    M1 Garand.

There are issues with the gas system and operating rod damage firing hunting vs mil spec ammo. This guy has an axe to grind as he sells a ported gas screw, but it explains the issue http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-ammunition

Secondly a friend of mine used one last year. His finishing shot went through the base of one of the antlers of a 9 point whitetail. There is a reason why people put scopes on rifles. :lol:

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    I'll be bringing my PU Sniper out this coming week with S&B JSP rounds. It's only going to the tree stand though, for trudging around in the woods my Marlin 336 is going to be there as well.

This would be my choice as well, the PU sniper, already scoped and 208 gr. soft point ammo.

rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    I have taken a couple deer with my SKS.

With the hollow point rounds (I think 123 gr) the exit holes have been the size of a quarter.

A friend of mine has killed a large number of deer over the years when it was his only deer rifle.

The SKS is a good white tail rifle.

Rmocarsky

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    There are issues with the gas system and operating rod damage firing hunting vs mil spec ammo. This guy has an axe to grind as he sells a ported gas screw, but it explains the issue http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-ammunition

Secondly a friend of mine used one last year. His finishing shot went through the base of one of the antlers of a 9 point whitetail. There is a reason why people put scopes on rifles. :lol:

Thanks for posting this very useful information. He may have an axe to grind, but he backed his grinding up with some pretty solid data. For $38, why take the chance?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Not trying to argue, but I know the 7.62x39 is often compared to the 30-30 in ballistics and energy. If that's the case, I would assume a cartridge of that level been more than proven as a deer hunting round over the decades in the eastern US (of course with appropriate expanding bullets, not FMJ).

JoeR

I wouldnt go long range with it but under 200yds it should kill a deer fine.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    Milsurp for hunting..

The website at the bottom of this post has a forum dedicated to hunting with milsurps. While there is no doubt an abundance of surplus firearms suitable for taking whitetail deer, the large price disparity between commercial and milsurp has diminished a lot since about 2006. I remember the cheap mosins and Sks's . I have seen Savage 110 package rifles with Bushnell scopes (admittedly not the best) on sale for $299. I have seen the Savage packages with Nikons for $499. It is hard to beat that combination plus you get calibers that are readily available such as 270 Winchester and 30-06. By the time you get an unknown quantity milsurp rifle (let's take a Yugo Mauser M48 as an example)

$250 for rifle(average current gunshop price)
    $50 B-Square ring and mount kit http://www.amazon.com/B-Square-Scope-$198.28 for scopeMauser-Series-Rifles/dp/B003E2PWJU
    http://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Classi...414071116&sr=1-2&keywords=weaver+pistol+scope

So your at $500 give or take plus no sling or accessories, so it's a wash in this example. Plus you have the disadvantages of having to pay higher retail prices for the 8mm Mauser ammo or having to order it online making this less convenient than dropping by your local Walmart and having Remington or Winchester easily available. You also have an inferior scope system when compared to a proper rifle scope mounted low directly over the bore of the rifle. Mosins are ok but they can be iffy and the safety can be a problem. Sks's are fine but there are better choices at longer ranges. Please do not alter surplus firearms or contribute to the problem of people sporterizing surplus firearms because they are historical artifacts and deserve to be treated as such.

://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom