• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Another idea is an SKS. Mine is super accurate.

I thought about that, but wasn't sure if the commercial 7.62x39 would have the kind of stopping power that you'd want for deer. I could probably put together a round that would.

Did you happen to ask your contacts down South what they thought of using an SKS on hogs? I think that I'd use military rounds for head shots on a feral pig without any reservations.

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    I thought about that, but wasn't sure if the commercial 7.62x39 would have the kind of stopping power that you'd want for deer. I could probably put together a round that would.

Did you happen to ask your contacts down South what they thought of using an SKS on hogs? I think that I'd use military rounds for head shots on a feral pig without any reservations.

Brown bear soft points work well for hogs, and probably well with deer if you have good placement.

If you have accuracy problems try shooting with the bayonet out, they were zeroed with the bayonets extended.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    There are plenty of styles to choose from in the C&R Bubbafication thread.

Fast and handy would be an M44 with the bayonet lopped off.

Or just buy and Handy and be done with it.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Ive hunted coyotes with my M1 Garand with standard ball ammo. I would recommend hunting ammo for big game. It does a wonderful job. Plenty of milsurp hunters out here. Just try to pick a light one if you plan to really hunt. (Not treestand).

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

Lots of people use SKS/AKs, as well as Steyr 95s and M44/M38s.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Ive hunted coyotes with my M1 Garand with standard ball ammo. I would recommend hunting ammo for big game. It does a wonderful job. Plenty of milsurp hunters out here. Just try to pick a light one if you plan to really hunt. (Not treestand).

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to hunt anything with a FMJ round. Or with a rifle that holds more than X rounds (except for varmintting, predating hogs, etc.). That's why I think you have to buy those special 5 round enbloc clips if you want to hunt deer with an M1 Garand.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I'm pretty sure it's illegal to hunt anything with a FMJ round. Or with a rifle that holds more than X rounds (except for varmintting, predating hogs, etc.). That's why I think you have to buy those special 5 round enbloc clips if you want to hunt deer with an M1 Garand.

FMJ is a no-no.

Unless it's a core of lead surrounded by lead with a lead casing. AKA: Muzzle Stuffer round ball.

I don't think that applies to feral hogs. That's the one exception I'd consider.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

FMJ is a no-no.

Unless it's a core of lead surrounded by lead with a lead casing. AKA: Muzzle Stuffer round ball.

I don't live in MD. We can hunt varmint with any round, no mag limit. Coyotes, prairie dogs, etc. Ethically I don't hunt big game without hunting ammo. But with prairie dogs and coyotes? If I use the AR I use Sierra 77gr boat tails and the M1 I use standard military ball.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I don't think that applies to feral hogs. That's the one exception I'd consider.

There are two types of hog hunts. One is predating by a landowner, or at the direction of a landowner, and one is actually hunting. In TX, at least, you don't need a license for the former, but you do for the latter. I'm not sure what ammo and magazine restrictions, if any, apply to each type of hunting. I can't see why there should be a difference. I can't speak to varminting or hog hunting because I haven't looked at the regs, but I know that many/most states prohibit the use of ball ammo on game animals.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County

Not trying to argue, but I know the 7.62x39 is often compared to the 30-30 in ballistics and energy. If that's the case, I would assume a cartridge of that level been more than proven as a deer hunting round over the decades in the eastern US (of course with appropriate expanding bullets, not FMJ).

JoeR

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

You're correct about FMJ. But for maximum magazine (or clip) capacities, see:

http://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/firearm-regulations/

Look under firearms Regs, 4th bullet down

Basically you can use any size 'clip' but whatever you do, you can't load more than 8 rounds. I've heard for years that 8 rounds was selected a long time ago specifically because of the M1 Garand

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I am willing to sell you my Argentine 1909 sporterized Mauser in 30-06 for $300. Scope not included. Will throw in Redfield open sights.

PM me if interested.

Attachments

• m1909.jpg
      m1909.jpg
      168.8 KB · Views: 146

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

It's going to be a state by state law issue. Those laws and regulations are put in place to minimize pass throughs and maximize the chances of clean kills. I'm not sure that states that have those laws differentiate between a particular animal - whether they are game animals or otherwise - as it's about animal cruelty/ethics generally. I've never looked at the specific issue, so I'm by no means an expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Not trying to argue, but I know the 7.62x39 is often compared to the 30-30 in ballistics and energy. If that's the case, I would assume a cartridge of that level been more than proven as a deer hunting round over the decades in the eastern US (of course with appropriate expanding bullets, not FMJ).

JoeR

I would think it would be plenty adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom