• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

So are you not allowed to carry in the stadium as an off duty officer?

Presumably not. The only place I've encountered this at a sporting event was seeing the Hershey Bears. They had a lockbox in the security office. I was told that I could either check it in there, leave it in my car or leave the grounds. Truthfully I prefer if LE aren't exempted. I'd rather have these clowns lose even more business over implementing stupid policies.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Presumably not. The only place I've encountered this at a sporting event was seeing the Hershey Bears. They had a lockbox in the security office. I was told that I could either check it in there, leave it in my car or leave the grounds. Truthfully I prefer if LE aren't exempted. I'd rather have these clowns lose even more business over implementing stupid policies.

I agree, but with the proximity to headquarters and the off duty performing security, there is liable to be a slip up.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I would never want to be in a situation where my pocket knife seemed like a good idea for self defense. I would be running first. Even pepper spray would be more effective.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    As a last resort it would sound like a good idea... imho

I thought so too, until I read some good articles by professional knife people. At the very least, the prosecutor will have more fun with you than if you had shot someone. It gets crazy they say.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    So are you not allowed to carry in the stadium as an off duty officer?

Per the FOP, off duty Police Officers will be permitted to carry concealed firearms inside of the stadium as long as they present valid credentials and are sober.

This was the same policy that was in place for Raven's stadium until the NFL HQ got involved. Each stadium was allowed to have its own firearms policy. Shortly after the Ravens decided to allow off duty Officers to carry their firearms the NFL ordered a complete ban on firearms for every stadium nationwide.

Why anyone would schedule any discretionary travel to a location that doesn't allow them to carry and/or securely store their firearms is beyond me. Even the District Court of Maryland allows permit holders to store their weapons on the premises so long as you tell the bailiff working the scanner that you are carrying and present your permit. Hell, the Supreme Court in New York City provides lock boxes for private citizens carrying firearms in accordance with a duly issued pistol license. All of these sports stadiums have numerous uniformed Police Officers working security. There's no reason you can't have lockers provided for patrons' firearms. If the various professional sporting leagues don't want people carrying firearms on their premises that's their right - the stadiums are private property. That being said I think the policy is ill advised. For off duty Police Officers, many (myself included) are required to be armed off duty. If asked to choose between their job and watching a professional sporting event the choice is obvious. As for the general public, you would think that these leagues would want to guarantee the safety of their patrons. Many stadiums, to include those in Baltimore, are located in high crime areas. Denying your patrons the ability to defend themselves against homicide, sexual assault and carjacking is not the way the guarantee repeat business. Criminals will also eventually realize that folks are locking their guns in their cars and will start smashing windows. A very foolish and short sighted policy in my opinion.

Last edited:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Pretty sure OPACY already prohibits weapons inside the stadium. I was turned away last year because of a pocket knife.

See section S, http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/ballpark/information/index.jsp?content=guide

"Weapons of any kind are not permitted in the park."

How did they turn you away?

I went to several games last year and had a knife on me every time.

Guy at the gate saw the pocket clip. Bag check lady saw one in my wife's purse also and turned us away. Luckily we park in lot B so it was easy to put them in the car.

Same thing happened to me last year, but only one time out of the ten or so games I went to. Guy saw the pocket clip, told me I couldn't bring it in but I could leave it in a locker they had.

When I asked them to give me some kind of receipt for the knife so I could claim it after the game, they looked at me like I had six heads. I eventually made them tear a paper in half, and we wrote it out as a receipt, bundled half of it around the knife, and I had them sign the other half for me.

Got the knife back with no problem, but what a pain in the ass. The other 9 games? No issue at all, but I got in the habit of just unclipping and slipping it down in my pocket before I approached the park.

Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    Per the FOP, off duty Police Officers will be permitted to carry concealed firearms inside of the stadium as long as they present valid credentials and are sober.

This was the same policy that was in place for Raven's stadium until the NFL HQ got involved. Each stadium was allowed to have its own firearms policy. Shortly after the Ravens decided to allow off duty Officers to carry their firearms the NFL ordered a complete ban on firearms for every stadium nationwide.

Why anyone would schedule any discretionary travel to a location that doesn't allow them to carry and/or securely store their firearms is beyond me. Even the District Court of Maryland allows permit holders to store their weapons on the premises so long as you tell the bailiff working the scanner that you are carrying and present your permit. Hell, the Supreme Court in New York City provides lock boxes for private citizens carrying firearms in accordance with a duly issued pistol license. All of these sports stadiums have numerous uniformed Police Officers working security. There's no reason you can't have lockers provided for patrons' firearms. If the various professional sporting leagues don't want people carrying firearms on their premises that's their right - the stadiums are private property. That being said I think the policy is ill advised. For off duty Police Officers, many (myself included) are required to be armed off duty. If asked to choose between their job and watching a professional sporting event the choice is obvious. As for the general public, you would think that these leagues would want to guarantee the safety of their patrons. Many stadiums, to include those in Baltimore, are located in high crime areas. Denying your patrons the ability to defend themselves against homicide, sexual assault and carjacking is not the way the guarantee repeat business. Criminals will also eventually realize that folks are locking their guns in their cars and will start smashing windows. A very foolish and short sighted policy in my opinion.

So you are required to be armed while off duty. Does this mean you can't have a beer as it is illegal to drink while carrying? If you go to dinner with your wife you can't have a glass of wine? Or you will lose your job.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    So you are required to be armed while off duty. Does this mean you can't have a beer as it is illegal to drink while carrying? If you go to dinner with your wife you can't have a glass of wine? Or you will lose your job.

It is not illegal for a Police Officer to consume alcoholic beverages while armed.

My agency's policy is that you may drink alcoholic beverages as long as you don't consume so much alcohol that your ability to think critically is impaired. The policy specifically states that since certain undercover functions require an armed Officer to drink in order to maintain his cover that a blanket prohibition on drinking while armed isn't rational and cannot be imposed. It goes on to require an Officer to secure his firearm before drinking if he decides that he is going to drink to the point of impairment.

Basically what it boils down to is this:

Drunk and Armed = Against Department Guidelines
    Sober and Unarmed = Against Department Guidelines
    Drunk and Unarmed = Within Department Guidelines

While I could have a drink while eating at a restaurant with my spouse I choose not to. If an armed robbery or other violent felony was to occur which required me to place myself in an on duty status I wouldn't want there to be any question as to my sobriety. Saying that you've been drinking automatically makes you suspect. Being involved in a shooting is enough of a headache as it is, I see no reason to make an already bad situation worse.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

My agency we cannot drink and carry. It's an offense one can be fired for. Just like PO2012 said, it's not worth having any alcohol in your system if involved in a shooting.
    Get a dui while carrying, even though the pistol wasn't used in anything, fired.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Just another reason to add to my list of never going to an Orioles game. I wonder if the Ironbirds will do the same thing? I enjoy going to these games a lot more than an Orioles game anymore. If you have been to an Ironbirds game, give it a shot (pun intended).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom