• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Possibly your interpretation of my writing is inaccurate or it just reads differently than I intend.

They said it at the house judiciary hearing. 220 or 230 and change applied last year, 190 something were "not disapproved". Maybe I misheard?

Perhaps they are for private individuals for "Personal Protection" only, but total MD Handgun Permit #'s are WAY higher than 230 a year. If that info is being presented as the "total annual applicants", its WAY off. My company alone sends in about 150 MD Handgun Permit applications a year to the MSP. These are "Professional" based permits.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Wow if they intend to "Shelve" apps pending the outcome of the appeal they surely didn't waste time cashing checks to get their money! I think the check cashing should be pending the permit, i.e. rule on my permit for/against and then cash my check.

does it not matter? the fee is non refundable anyway right? just for applying, approved or not?

Sent from somewhere in the world using Tapatalk

ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    Undisclosed Secure Location
    Re: 3 personal references...
    What questions are the references asked?

Why are personal references still required for a permit to exercise an ennumerated civil right?

With G&S gone, why isn't the approval process all objective, clean, and black and white... No gray areas?

Shouldn't there be a new, uncomplicated application?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    The chances any individual unit within any government agency has its own internal accounts and controls for the receipt of checks is pretty small. That number is almost surely generated by the central receivers and the check before yours was probably sent in for something entirely non-gun related. I wouldn't put much stock into it.

Well, I think it *must* be the serial or model number for the cranial implant device for your brain that they have set aside for you so that they will be able to track your thoughts and movements 24/7..... Well, okay, maybe not..... Just a thought

(That's a joke. Really).

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Perhaps they are for private individuals for "Personal Protection" only, but total MD Handgun Permit #'s are WAY highter than 230 a year. If that info is being presented as the "total annual applicants", its WAY off. My company alone sends in about 150 MD Handgun Permit applications a year to the MSP. These are "Profesional" based permits.

higher, professional. :innocent0

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    Of course we should get the Trooper's name. Is recording too aggressive of a posture to take? I have a small digital recorder. It goes in your pocket and can't be seen. Can an interview be held in the same light as a recording of LE in a public place, and therefore legal? I guess you could ask the Trooper for permission beforehand.

I assume whatever you say in the interview is moot (except for admission of a crime) :D when and if we prevail in court.
    Sure, if you want to get locked up for wiretapping. Go for it.

I am with you, my application was mailed on Tuesday. I will show up and be polite if I am invited to an interview, I will answer politely ... they are just the messengers.
    They have to do what they are told to do ...

But does it not mean if anybody is actually conducting the interview before a stay is granted and they ask you that very question that they are indeed breaking the law ... am I seeing this wrong?
    Great response, they are just the messengers, but some see it as being guilty by association type thing. Guess what, you're at their mercy, much like a traffic stop, whether you agree or not just simply be polite.

does it not matter? the fee is non refundable anyway right? just for applying, approved or not?

Sent from somewhere in the world using Tapatalk

Agreed, non refundable means just that, not a hard concept.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Why are personal references still required for a permit to exercise an ennumerated civil right?

With G&S gone, why isn't the approval process all objective, clean, and black and white... No gray areas?

Agreed. A lot of the application is geared toward G&S. Once that is gone (after the appeals are exhausted), the State will have very good reasons to modify the application, if only to make it less costly for themselves. Right now, it is the only form that they have got and they ain't going to change it until they have to, viz., definitely lose in Woollard.

Dklo

Dec 20, 2011
    Weird. I hand carried my app to pikesville on the 7th. Got a receipt and all. No phone call yet. And I actually put down a G&S reason...

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Weird. I hand carried my app to pikesville on the 7th. Got a receipt and all. No phone call yet. And I actually put down a G&S reason...

Probably in the reject pile, because you didn't follow instructions to mail it.

just kidding :)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Don't get excited. It depends on the workload of the trooper handling the case. I put in my renewal in January and haven't heard a thing.....

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Well, I think it *must* be the serial or model number for the cranial implant device for your brain that they have set aside for you so that they will be able to track your thoughts and movements 24/7..... Well, okay, maybe not..... Just a thought

(That's a joke. Really).

Sorry, that's those kids at Ft. Meade. We were talking MSP in Pikesville.

Same beast, different head. :cool:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

Nobody has sued to prevent it.

After everything settles and clears we can talk about those. But Legg left the door open to investigations to ascertain things like drugs and/or propensity for violence. True, investigating using references you provide is kind of silly, but the whole system is kind of silly.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    Well at least they're "shelving" it and not outright denying it.

This, plus that thread a little bit back about MSP hiring new people to process CCW permits, leads me to believe that the State of MD is looking at this stay/appeal as more of a "stall tactic" than anything that has a legitimate hope of being overturned. Which makes me cautiously optimistic.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Don't get excited. It depends on the workload of the trooper handling the case. I put in my renewal in January and haven't heard a thing.....

Hope you hear from them soon. You seem to exhibit some patience in the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom