• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The 81xxx number could well be a cumulative number, when you consider the same basic application also includes Security Gaurds, Special Police, Railroad Police , Private Detectives , and Alarm Technicans .

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    81K seems crazy high to me, even from the beginning of time. 1100 sounds plausible (myth busters), maybe even just THIS year.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    81K seems crazy high to me, even from the beginning of time. 1100 sounds plausible (myth busters), maybe even just THIS year.

If the 81K is the number of applicants through the years. Which is completely feasible.

How many permits were issued in total?

That alone would shoot a hole in the 97% approval claim...

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I think its the internal trackiing number or maybe the actual number that may go on the permit. idk...

Maybe someone that currently has a MD ccw can confirm based on their permit number if this is plausable

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    If the 81K is the number of applicants through the years. Which is completely feasible.

True, I didn't see the part about security companies.

I thought I read somewhere that it was around 230 (total) last year though?

Even if they got 500 apps a year, that would be 162 years worth to add up to 81K. Plus, I don't see a whole TWO troopers processing 81K (divided by the total number of years the permits have been around.

Dunno, it's all veeeeeeeerrrrry interesting.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County

Even if they got 500 apps a year, that would be 162 years worth to add up to 81K. Plus, I don't see a whole TWO troopers processing 81K (divided by the total number of years the permits have been around.

As of 2006 (latest file I have handy), there were 62,076 permits on file with 11,366 active within the last three years. So, 81,000 permits on file by 2012 is not outside the realm of possibility.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Why are you always difficult in MD Handgun Permit threads? Between the armored Car and Security Companies alone there are thousands of employees that have MD Handgun Permits, the initial permits are good for 2 years, 3 years there after. Thats not counting Private Detectives, Business Owners, Retired LEO's (Before HR218), Pharma/Medical Based, etc... 81K is LOW.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    It woud be hillarious, if 81K were submitted in the last week though :D

Kinda hard to argue with that number in court.
    Someone did mention in another thread that they heard from somewhere that there were like 80,000 hits on the application page.
    I'd love to be able to see the pile of new applications that they have been receiving.:lol2:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Why are you always difficult in MD Handgun Permit threads?

Didn't know asking a question would be deemed being "difficult".

Guess I'd have to understand how two individuals handled interviews, investigations, called references, etc. Then did it every two years again for the renewals.

Are there in fact more than two Troopers dedicated to this task?

80K/20 years/365 days a year straight would mean each man is reviewing and processing 5.5 apps a DAY (again, every day of the year).

I heard 230 (or something) apps in total recieved last year, is that number not correct?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Didn't know asking a question would be deemed bing "difficult".

Guess I'd have to understand how two individuals handled interviews, investigations, called references, etc. Then did it every two years again for the renewals.

Are there in fact more than two Troopers dedicated to this task?

80K/20 years/365 days a year straight would mean each man is reviewing and processing 5.5 apps a DAY (again, every day of the year).

I heard 230 (or something) apps in total recieved last year, is that number not correct?

Because you dont ask questions, you go off some off the wall data as fact. Even in the one MD Permit thread you argued with people who have MD permits saying they were not attainable for listed reasons. You were wrong and still argued.

Whever said 230 is way off. My company alone has over 300 armed employees in MD alone, thats ONE company of several dozen.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If there are more than 11,000 active permits, and they renew every 3 years, then there are on average >3000 per year.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Because you dont ask questions, you go off some off the wall data as fact.

Whever said 230 is way off. My company alone has over 300 armed employees in MD alone, thats ONE company of several dozen.

Possibly your interpretation of my writing is inaccurate or it just reads differently than I intend.

They said it at the house judiciary hearing. 220 or 230 and change applied last year, 190 something were "not disapproved". Maybe I misheard?

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    The chances any individual unit within any government agency has its own internal accounts and controls for the receipt of checks is pretty small. That number is almost surely generated by the central receivers and the check before yours was probably sent in for something entirely non-gun related. I wouldn't put much stock into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom