• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    HB0947/SB0488 seems nuts. What's the definition of a "Public Nuisance"? Sounds like this becomes a wide open trap to go after anything for any reason.
    It is wide open. The wording is such that it means whatever an anti-2A MDAG or or county State's Attorney can convince a anti-2A MD judge it means, with words like "reasonable", and "in the totality" sprinkled in to make sure there are no objective standards that must be met. Plus, it's a strict liability statute; it specifically says that intent doesn't need to be shown to find the defendant liable.

This is one of the draft law templates Everytown is pushing in every state in order to put firearms, magazine, accessory, optics, and ammunition manufacturers out of business by inundating them with lawsuits in multiple jurisdictions, all of which need to be defended against.

On a related note, I haven't seen Esqappellate on here in quite a while. Is he okay? I'd love to hear his take on these types of laws that use the civil court system for abusive ends to achieve what couldn't be achieved through regulation or legislation because of constitutionality issues.

Last edited:
    Mar 18, 2022
    Wondering how many mail-in votes will be "discovered" today.

Doesn't look like the 11% firearms tax passed; last activity entry was on 3/28.

Right, that's the one I was really watching for.

I was bored last night so I watched the final two hours of the legislative session live. I was expecting that one to get rammed through for sure.

Also of note, rather than adopting a Republican's amendment to this bill which would make theft of a firearm a felony, the democrat in charge of the bill (I don't know the correct terms) decided to "special order" the bill until 12:01 - after the session adjourned. Effectively tabling the bill rather than adopting the amendment.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    It is wide open. The wording is such that it means whatever an anti-2A MDAG or or county State's Attorney can convince a anti-2A MD judge it means, with words like "reasonable", and "in the totality" sprinkled in to make sure there are no objective standards that must be met. Plus, it's a strict liability statute; it specifically says that intent doesn't need to be shown to find the defendant liable.

This is one of the draft law templates Everytown is pushing in every state in order to put firearms, magazine, accessory, optics, and ammunition manufacturers out of business by inundating them with lawsuits in multiple jurisdictions, all of which need to be defended against.

On a related note, I haven't seen Esqappellate on here in quite a while. Is he okay? I'd love to hear his take on these types of laws that use the civil court system for abusive ends to achieve what couldn't be achieved through regulation or legislation because of constitutionality issues.

Are there any states that have already done this, and if so, what has been the outcome?

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Looks like the only, actual, firearms bills that passed were:

HB0947 - “Civil Actions - Public Nuisances - Firearm Industry Members (Gun Industry Accountability Act of 2024)”, and

HB0810 - “Criminal Law - Rapid-Fire Activator - Switch/Auto-Sear”

The AD/ND, Insurance, and Firearms Tax bills didn’t make it through.

[ETA links to bills]

Last edited:

Phoenix_1295

MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    HB0947/SB0488 seems nuts. What's the definition of a "Public Nuisance"? Sounds like this becomes a wide open trap to go after anything for any reason.

The reference to “public nuisance” is only how the law is classified. A violation of the law would be a “public nuisance”.

“Public nuisance” is not one of the criteria for being a violation.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    The reference to “public nuisance” is only how the law is classified. A violation of the law would be a “public nuisance”.

“Public nuisance” is not one of the criteria for being a violation.

We need one of our 2A lawyers and/or MSI experts to chime in here. I read it differently. For easy reference, the text:

Prohibiting firearm industry members from knowingly creating, maintaining, or contributing to a public nuisance through the sale, manufacture, distribution, importation, or marketing of a firearm-related product under certain circumstances; requiring a firearm industry member to establish and implement certain reasonable controls regarding the sale, manufacture, distribution, importation, marketing, possession, and use of certain firearm-related products; authorizing certain civil actions for violations of the Act; etc.

I read this as the "industry members" were the source of the nuisance through their business/activities.

Phoenix_1295

MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    We need one of our 2A lawyers and/or MSI experts to chime in here. I read it differently. For easy reference, the text:

Prohibiting firearm industry members from knowingly creating, maintaining, or contributing to a public nuisance through the sale, manufacture, distribution, importation, or marketing of a firearm-related product under certain circumstances; requiring a firearm industry member to establish and implement certain reasonable controls regarding the sale, manufacture, distribution, importation, marketing, possession, and use of certain firearm-related products; authorizing certain civil actions for violations of the Act; etc.

I read this as the "industry members" were the source of the nuisance through their business/activities.
    That is a summary.

Read through the full text of the law and you will see the specific details of the law and that it classifies a violation as a public nuisance.

Specifically, page 4, line 5.

Last edited:

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD

HB0947 - “Civil Actions - Public Nuisances - Firearm Industry Members (Gun Industry Accountability Act of 2024)”, and

[ETA links to bills]
    HB0810 - among other things, mandatory minimum 5 years for a switch. They take away some of the judge's discretion, but the prosecutors will probably drop this charge for gang members anyway.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    That is a summary.

Read through the full text of the law and you will see the specific details of the law and that it classifies a violation as a public nuisance.

Specifically, page 4, line 5.

Thanks for clarifying. They should sack whoever wrote the summary.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I thought Maryland already had a law on the books forbidding any device that increased the 'rate of fire' i.e. trigger cranks etc.
    What does this law forbid the other one doesn't already?

Phoenix_1295

MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I thought Maryland already had a law on the books forbidding any device that increased the 'rate of fire' i.e. trigger cranks etc.
    What does this law forbid the other one doesn't already?

It added the specific device to the list in that law.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County

[ETA links to bills]
    They figure they won't need any of those other laws if they can run every brand, store, and FFL out of the state in the first place, and make every manufacturer treat MD like a no-go zone for any sort of shipment, ever. And they just passed a law with that very outcome in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom