• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I thought Maryland already had a law on the books forbidding any device that increased the 'rate of fire' i.e. trigger cranks etc.
    What does this law forbid the other one doesn't already?

Absolutely nothing .
    And further totally redundant to NFA .

Political exhibitionism in reaction to drivel news stories at its finest .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It added the specific device to the list in that law.

Still pointless , as it already was covered under the definitions of the referenced previous law .

( But if MGA is bound to do something, it is better for them to distract themselves on the pointless and redundant, that actually do nothing. )

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    HB0947/SB0488 seems nuts. What's the definition of a "Public Nuisance"? Sounds like this becomes a wide open trap to go after anything for any reason.

They’ll know it when they see it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    HB0810 - among other things, mandatory minimum 5 years for a switch. They take away some of the judge's discretion, but the prosecutors will probably drop this charge for gang members anyway.

Yeah just like the mandatory 5 or 10 years for committing a crime with a firearm that was in FSA2013, I have yet to see a case where it’s been prosecuted

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Yeah just like the mandatory 5 or 10 years for committing a crime with a firearm that was in FSA2013, I have yet to see a case where it’s been prosecuted

I guess it's too hard to get re-elected if all of your constituents are in jail.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    We need one of our 2A lawyers and/or MSI experts to chime in here. I read it differently. For easy reference, the text:

Prohibiting firearm industry members from knowingly creating, maintaining, or contributing to a public nuisance through the sale, manufacture, distribution, importation, or marketing of a firearm-related product under certain circumstances; requiring a firearm industry member to establish and implement certain reasonable controls regarding the sale, manufacture, distribution, importation, marketing, possession, and use of certain firearm-related products; authorizing certain civil actions for violations of the Act; etc.

I read this as the "industry members" were the source of the nuisance through their business/activities.
    That is the short description, not the actual verbiage of the law. Read the rest of the bill to understand what it is doing.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    That is the short description, not the actual verbiage of the law. Read the rest of the bill to understand what it is doing.

Once I found the link, I did. Still think they could have done a better job writing the description. Regardless, it's terrible legislation at many levels. Somewhat fitting it has a poor summary.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Once I found the link, I did. Still think they could have done a better job writing the description. Regardless, it's terrible legislation at many levels. Somewhat fitting it has a poor summary.
    The description is a short version, not the actual law. It is the one thing that does not change with any/all of the amendments that may get applied to a bill.

It makes it real easy to understand what the original intent of the bill is/was.
    Reading the actual bill language (statute changes) tell you what is actually going to happen.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    The description is a short version, not the actual law. It is the one thing that does not change with any/all of the amendments that may get applied to a bill.

It makes it real easy to understand what the original intent of the bill is/was.
    Reading the actual bill language (statute changes) tell you what is actually going to happen.

What's your take on how this will shake out for us? I know it's complete speculation, but thinking with your experience, you have a much better understanding of how laws like this play out. Do you see online retailers refusing to ship guns, ammunition, etc. to MD? Local shops unable to risk the liability and closing up shop?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I don't think it will do much at first, especially in light of fact that they added mens rea to the requirement...

"A FIREARM INDUSTRY MEMBER MAY NOT KNOWINGLY CREAT, MAINTAIN, OR CONTRIBUTE TO HARM TO THE PUBLIC THROUGH THE SALE, MANUFACTURE, DISTRIBUTION, IMPORTATION, OR MARKETING OF A FIREARM–RELATED PRODUCT BY ENGAGING IN CONDUCT THAT IS: (1) UNLAWFUL; OR 30 (2) UNREASONABLE UNDER THE TOTALITY OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES"

It will be hard to prove that a dealer 'knowingly" did something unlawful or unreasonable.

It will also be interesting to see what the MDAG and MSP come up with from their study.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    I don't think it will do much at first, especially in light of fact that they added mens rea to the requirement...

"A FIREARM INDUSTRY MEMBER MAY NOT KNOWINGLY CREAT, MAINTAIN, OR CONTRIBUTE TO HARM TO THE PUBLIC THROUGH THE SALE, MANUFACTURE, DISTRIBUTION, IMPORTATION, OR MARKETING OF A FIREARM–RELATED PRODUCT BY ENGAGING IN CONDUCT THAT IS: (1) UNLAWFUL; OR 30 (2) UNREASONABLE UNDER THE TOTALITY OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES"

It will be hard to prove that a dealer 'knowingly" did something unlawful or unreasonable.

It will also be interesting to see what the MDAG and MSP come up with from their study.

I read that - "MAY NOT KNOWINGLY" - and wanted to think that was our glimmer of hope, but I also thought we couldn't be that lucky. Maybe I'll be able to keep dinner down after all - thanks for the analysis!

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I read that - "MAY NOT KNOWINGLY" - and wanted to think that was our glimmer of hope, but I also thought we couldn't be that lucky. Maybe I'll be able to keep dinner down after all - thanks for the analysis!
    The up-side is that your legitimate LGS operators are already doing what the law requires regarding not selling to straw purchasers or prohibited individuals, complying with federal laws, not selling for known criminal intent, etc., so like @dblas said, likely not to have any significant impact on the legitimate businesses.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    The up-side is that your legitimate LGS operators are already doing what the law requires regarding not selling to straw purchasers or prohibited individuals, complying with federal laws, not selling for known criminal intent, etc., so like @dblas said, likely not to have any significant impact on the legitimate businesses.

One of the many things that gets me about legislation of this type is the good guys are already doing what they should, and in that aspect, laws like this really aren't necessary, and the bad guys don't care and will do what they always have.

A part that concerns me is:

A PARTY SEEKING RELIEF UNDER THIS SECTION IS NOT
    REQUIRED TO PROVE THAT A FIREARM INDUSTRY MEMBER ACTED WITH THE INTENT
    TO VIOLATE THIS SUBTITLE.

Which seems in contradiction to:

A FIREARM INDUSTRY MEMBER MAY NOT KNOWINGLY CREATE,
    MAINTAIN, OR CONTRIBUTE TO HARM

That struck me like you could still get charged and found liable, even if you did all the right things.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I guess it's too hard to get re-elected if all of your constituents are in jail.

You think you're joking .

But when you include all the relatives , plus if they behave themselves at home , all their neighbors who think of little Johnny who shoveled their snow 10 years ago . It adds up to a voting block in say , Baltimore or inner PG Co .

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    You think you're joking .

But when you include all the relatives , plus if they behave themselves at home , all their neighbors who think of little Johnny who shoveled their snow 10 years ago . It adds up to a voting block in say , Baltimore or inner PG Co .
    Not to mention all of the other hoodlums who would think, "that could be me next time."

Same reason why the MGA won't make stealing a firearm a felony - people might start to expect gun thefts to be prosecuted as felonies.

44 Bulldog

Oct 25, 2012
    Dunkirk-Calvert County
    They figure they won't need any of those other laws if they can run every brand, store, and FFL out of the state in the first place, and make every manufacturer treat MD like a no-go zone for any sort of shipment, ever. And they just passed a law with that very outcome in mind.
    I always thought that Democrats were incompetent people, now I realize they are just evil.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    thanks , that's great news !
    They will be back next year, trust me.
    They got caught flat footed,, thinking a "Lead-Free Bullet" will fit in any gun.
    They literally had zero idea there was Shotgun slugs, MLer sabotted bullets, High powered center fire, SWC, Pistol caliber SWC, Rimfire .22 etc.
    They brought an example of a Center fire highpower round and said "Look, copper bullets"

The real issue is,, there is ZERO evidence there is a problem with lead to eagle/predator poisening in Maryland, with Marylands style of hunting

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom