Man Charged with" receiving a mag with 20 + capacity"...?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    I have now actually seen the charging document. The guy was charged by the MSP and the charging language was handwritten in by the Trooper. (not something generated by the commissioner). He is charged with "receiving" a large capacity magazine. Unrelated to the incident that brought them there the MSP found an "SKS" magazine with 52 rounds in it elsewhere in the house. Total capacity was not specified. Offense date is the same as the other crimes so he recieved it that day? Makes no sense. IMO this charge has no traction and will go away.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I have now actually seen the charging document. The guy was charged by the MSP and the charging language was handwritten in by the Trooper. (not something generated by the commissioner). He is charged with "receiving" a large capacity magazine. Unrelated to the incident that brought them there the MSP found an "SKS" magazine with 52 rounds in it elsewhere in the house. Total capacity was not specified. Offense date is the same as the other crimes so he recieved it that day? Makes no sense. IMO this charge has no traction and will go away.

Is that to imply that they believe that the transfer within the state of MD? Or, is it that they are making the rules up as they go once again and interpreting possession as being "receiving"?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    IS it legal to possess 30 round magazines for SKS mini 30 etc.

Yes. The letter of the law does not prohibit possession but the AG and MSP have been known in other matters to simply make law up as they go along and apply the language how they see fit rather than observing what it actually says.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Is that to imply that they believe that the transfer within the state of MD? Or, is it that they are making the rules up as they go once again and interpreting possession as being "receiving"?

I can see the following reasoning by the SA:
    He possesses it in MD, so ipso facto he must have "received" it in-state. It is up to the defendant to *prove* otherwise.

When the prosecution fails, expect to see a "magazine loophole closure" bill next spring.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    screw an ipso facto. This means we need to keep all of our receipts from when we make mag purchases out of state. Also, I dont see why the defendant needs to prove that he purchased it elsewhere. That's up the the DA to prove that he attained the mags in state.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    screw an ipso facto. This means we need to keep all of our receipts from when we make mag purchases out of state?

No, it is up to the state to prove that it was purchased within the state or recieved within the state, and that it wasn't recieved in the state or purchased within the state before it was illegal to do so.
    The burden of proof is on the state and as I understand it if they arrest people knowing they have no reasonable evidence a crime was committed or repeatedly cannot prove a crime was commited in acquiring possession of the mag, then they will be faced with false arrest lawsuits galore.

Having a receipt would help prevent them from even trying though.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I can see the following reasoning by the SA:

When the prosecution fails, expect to see a "magazine loophole closure" bill next spring.
    He possesses it in MD, so ipso facto he must have "received" it in-state. It is up to the defendant to *prove* otherwise.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH, last I checked, the burden of proof is on the DA in a criminal case. This isn't civil court where you'd only need a preponderance of evidence.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    AHHHHHHHHHHHH, last I checked, the burden of proof is on the DA in a criminal case. This isn't civil court where you'd only need a preponderance of evidence.

That is true. But you only need "probable cause" to actually charge someone with a crime. That standard is somewhere around "preponderance" or "more likely than not."

I have no problem with speculating that an anti-gunowner (or just plain anti-domestic violence) Maryland prosecutor or LEO would use the suggested "ipso facto" magazine law test to charge someone with violating the law.

Plus, there may be more evidence we don't know about, as someone earlier mentioned.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    That is true. But you only need "probable cause" to actually charge someone with a crime. That standard is somewhere around "preponderance" or "more likely than not."

I have no problem with speculating that an anti-gunowner (or just plain anti-domestic violence) Maryland prosecutor or LEO would use the suggested "ipso facto" magazine law test to charge someone with violating the law.

Plus, there may be more evidence we don't know about, as someone earlier mentioned.
    I don't disagree with anything, but if the statement of the DA is "prove it", well, Mr. DA, that's your job. Period!

It's a sad justice system when OJ can get off and yet a man's word on something this trivial is just not heeded. True, he's a criminal in other respects.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    can you mail a 30 rnd mag out of MD to yourseld or a friend?

If you mean can you while in MD mail or ship the mag to someone out of state, well if sent to someone else they might, rightly or wrongly, claim that is transfer while in MD because part of it occured in MD, but if you mail to yourself out of state that would not be a transfer.

(b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

I am not a lawyer.

Note, if it is part of an inheritance then the law about transfer does not apply.
    § 4-302.

This subtitle does not apply to:...

... (5) the receipt of an assault pistol or detachable magazine by inheritance if the decedent lawfully possessed the assault pistol; or

(6) the receipt of an assault pistol or detachable magazine by a personal representative of an estate for purposes of exercising the powers and duties of a personal representative of an estate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom