• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No, you're right most AR aren't that heavy themselves, its the cumulative kitchen sink attached to them.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    He did, and it was so stupid light I giggled like a schoolgirl while finger-fvcking it while dodging free-range ferrets at his place.

All with standard forged receivers too, IIRC.

I believe it was a forged receiver as well. Stupid light...pointed super easy. Maybe thats what I will build on a spare lower hmmm

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I have 2 3-gun rifles. One is my original Stag 3GH upper. With everything on it including optics and a CF handguard it weighs about 9# even. My other gun has a 16" ABS carbon fiber wrapped barrel, ALG rail, 2nd gen polymer lower, and a lighter stock. With a 1 oz heavier scope it weighs right about 7# even.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    31FGIIQ%2BikL._SY400_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Enterprises-AR-15-Rifle-Lighter/dp/B00LV411BG

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    When Daniel Defense discontinued their .625 gas block barrels, Faxon Firearms came on the scene with nitrided (both 4150 and 416 available) pencil barrels. They weigh less than 20 ounces for a full 16" barrel. If you can't build a sub-6-pound rifle with one of those, you're doing it VERY wrong. :)

some guys on another ar-15 related forum have even gotten around 4.5 pounds for a 16" non-pinned example.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    When Daniel Defense discontinued their .625 gas block barrels, Faxon Firearms came on the scene with nitrided (both 4150 and 416 available) pencil barrels. They weigh less than 20 ounces for a full 16" barrel. If you can't build a sub-6-pound rifle with one of those, you're doing it VERY wrong. :)

some guys on another ar-15 related forum have even gotten around 4.5 pounds for a 16" non-pinned example.

Just assembled one for wife with that barrel came out to 6lbs. Wasn't trying for the lightest but the "light" parts were:
    13" ALG V2 Rail
    Mission First Minimalist Stock
    Magpul SL Grip

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    About the only thing out there lighter than the ALG rails are the BCM KMR. For the price (especially if you wait for blems or a major sale) it's difficult (at best) to justify the price difference when the weight isn't much.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Your right I don't 3 gun, but I really don't get why my 14.5 wouldn't be competitive compared to other rifles. 14.5 bcm barrel, aim point pro, and a decent shooter. What else do you really need in the rifle?

Not trying to come off as a smart ass, but if lightweight is key what else is needed.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Your right I don't 3 gun, but I really don't get why my 14.5 wouldn't be competitive compared to other rifles. 14.5 bcm barrel, aim point pro, and a decent shooter. What else do you really need in the rifle?

Not trying to come off as a smart ass, but if lightweight is key what else is needed.

Since you asked. The rifle portion of the competition has us shooting from 5 yard paper targets to 400+ yard steel targets. I'm using an 18" SPR profile barrel to increase muzzle velocity so there's less drop out at the further ranges. To offset the weight of said barrel and a 1-6x scope, I'm trying to keep everything else as light as possible. The handguard I'll be using is a carbon-fibre wrap with a ring on the ends to minimize weight there. I'll be using a lightweight stock. If I can get more weight off without affecting accuracy, that's what I want. If I can cut the weight of the receiver set by 25-30%, I'll take it, as long as it's metal. As for the Aimpoint, it's a fine optic, but once I used one past 200 yards it was pure Kentucky Windage. I don't want to calculate holdovers in my head while on the clock.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Tacticool be heavy. Optics and a 30 round mag aren't.

Having about 2lbs in scope and mount is really annoying though. Add a pound for the mag. Boom, 7-8lb rifle.

Since you asked. The rifle portion of the competition has us shooting from 5 yard paper targets to 400+ yard steel targets. I'm using an 18" SPR profile barrel to increase muzzle velocity so there's less drop out at the further ranges. To offset the weight of said barrel and a 1-6x scope, I'm trying to keep everything else as light as possible. The handguard I'll be using is a carbon-fibre wrap with a ring on the ends to minimize weight there. I'll be using a lightweight stock. If I can get more weight off without affecting accuracy, that's what I want. If I can cut the weight of the receiver set by 25-30%, I'll take it, as long as it's metal. As for the Aimpoint, it's a fine optic, but once I used one past 200 yards it was pure Kentucky Windage. I don't want to calculate holdovers in my head while on the clock.

A real 1-6x of quality plus mount will be around 30oz or more. A red dot IS kentucky windage past 200yds, that's a certainty. Something to consider with a heavier barrel profile and lighter stock is how the rifle balances. Most bullpups I've come across are actually pretty heavy for being chambered in 5.56 NATO, but they feel lighter simply due to where the weight is. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom